Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

some incorrect info on this forum
      #24992 - 11/26/01 12:13 AM

I have been reading this forum quite awhile, and I have seen some incorrect information posted here. Although I'm sure no one is purposely trying to mislead anyone, and they have good intentions, here are some things I've read that are not correct:

1. Cannot get HIV from receptive oral sex.

Not true. There is very, very low risk, but it is still a theoretical risk. It would be possible for an HIV+ person to have a new bite inside their cheek or on their tongue, and then there could be blood in their saliva. Enough blood in the saliva would make this a possible route for infection, though it has not been documented as ever happening yet.

2. Cannot get HIV from one time exposure.

Wrong. It can be transmitted during one sex exposure with an HIV+ person.

3. Cannot get HIV without ejaculate.
Wrong again! The Pre-seminal fluid contains HIV in high enough concentrations to infect, even without actual ejaculation.

4. Every HIV+ person will test antibody positive in less than 12 weeks after exposure.

Not everyone. Antibody testing should be done outside of the window to rule out infection. Three months or more is required for conclusive results. CDC (USA) still recommends a followup test at 6 months for those with definite exposure. Testing within the window period is good to establish a baseline, (ruling out previous HIV infection), but should not be regarded as conclusive.

5.) If you had HIV, the ARS would hit you hard, within 2-4 weeks.

Not so in all cases. Some people get HIV and never notice any symptoms at all. Sometimes the symptoms are very mild and other times it can be very severe. Also, the 2-4 week period is just an estimate. Some say "a few weeks" or "around 3 weeks", and others say "2-6 weeks". Apparently the timeframe can vary from person to person.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: some incorrect info on this forum new
      #24998 - 11/26/01 01:51 AM

where do you get your information ?
please post it.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: some incorrect info on this forum new
      #24999 - 11/26/01 02:26 AM

If what the original poster said was even half true there would be MILLIONS in USA infected with HIV.

Hiv is a Micro Organism that is hard to get.

: ) cheers

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Please Read new
      #25008 - 11/26/01 09:18 AM

You are simply taking a lot of old conservative information and posting here. Most people here have done enough research to know that receptive oral sex is pretty darn safe, and that giving oral sex without ejaculation is also pretty darn safe. Yes, semanitcs do play a role. If someone is roughly going down on someone when they have open wounds in their mouth, and there is a whole lot of infectuous pre-cum involved, then there could be possible transmission. However, with the air that is involved during oral sex, transmission is very unlikely. Also, your info. about the window period is old hat - show me ONE documented case of seroconversion (without PEP) after 12 weeks since 1998. With the new sensitive Elisa tests out there, it's just NOT happening. Most people will test pos. within 4 weeks of exposure. So, your info, is very conservative, and very outdated.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1272

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3