Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
axe01

Reged: 01/12/10
weird timing or bad luck?
      #249093 - 01/12/10 05:10 PM

I know everyone says that you can't get HIV from a blood draw, and I am not a person who has a fear of needles. Here is my problem: I had some sexual encounters six months or more ago now and some of it was unprotected intercourse with the same girl for about a month. About three weeks into this relationship, I became very ill with a fever and other problems.

So I went to a free clinic done by the health district but at an outside facility. First they did a rapid test finger prick on me which came out negative(happiest day ever) then had me draw blood to check for other STD's... didn't think anything of it until 3-4 days later when my leg started to hurt for no reason. It was a sort of "moving pain" throughout my shin and calf this lasted for 4-5 days and then I began to experience pain in other joints and muscles around my body. this went on for about another 2 weeks and has diminished for the most part... but here is my real problem, I have swollen nodes on my neck and painfully swollen nodes in my armpit at this moment and I'm sure they have been there through most of the problems I explained.

Keep in mind that I would love to believe nothing wrong happened that day and that I will be fine. But thinking back I remember walking back into the room and sitting down, and seeing a needle sitting out but thinking nothing of it because I have blind faith in health care I guess, and I was so excited in the moment from being negative that I wasn't paying attention to what she was doing and don't believe she ever even put alcohol on my arm where she drew blood. This was a very busy clinic today with them rapidly going through patients.

It has now been a little over a month and I am just left with swollen nodes (armpits are painful). I haven't had any other risky sexual encounters in six months, is this all coincidence and bad timing? I have gone to the doctor 3 times now, did blood tests (other than std’s since HIV wouldn’t come up at the time anyway.) I have gone over the results with him and everything is fine except for the fact that my lymphatic system is not up to par. The doctor said he thinks I got hit with a virus, but I haven’t been sick since early summer. I am going to get a test done at around 6 weeks and if that ones negative then 3 months. I know it sounds crazy but anything is possible right?

Anyone have an idea?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Net
Regular

Reged: 05/04/09
Loc: Johannesburg, South Africa
Re: weird timing or bad luck? new
      #249133 - 01/18/10 11:05 AM

The only way you could have acquired HIV was through the unprotected sex with this girl about "six months or more ago". If you have had proper safe sex with condoms since then, and your tests come up negative now six months later, you are negative.

As for the whole needle / nurse / alcohol swab thing. Paranoid.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1916

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3