Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
scared
Unregistered

worrying myself sick
      #2490 - 04/04/00 10:18 PM

I am looking for an opinion...Please, do NOT say "get tested" as I simply get ill just thinking about it. I just want someone, who knows something about AIDS to give me their opinion on the odds of being HIV+. Here is my scenario. OVer 13 years ago, I had an affair. Every day since the AIDS thing started making major headlines, I have worried SICK that I may be HIV+! I have no reason to believe that this man was HIV+, and he is still alive and well today. He was married, as was I, and both of our partners are alive and well. I guess the reason I worry (besides the guilt thing) is that a short while after our one night deal, I became very ill with flu like symptoms. Also, my husband and I have both recently had bloodwork done (CBC's and some sort of profile) both of which showed no problems. So, I guess my questions are. 1. What are the odds that 4 people could be HIV+ for 13 years or more and all still not know it?2. Wouldnt my bloodwork have shown something that would have raised a question in Dr.'s mind if I were HIV+ for 13 years? I know some will think I am crazy for not getting tested...but I cant...I am violently ill as I write this. Any opinions would be appreciated because I am WORRYING myself sick!

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Carie
Unregistered

Re: worrying myself sick new
      #2491 - 04/04/00 10:18 PM

From everything I have read, it would be HIGHLY unlikely for anyone to not know they were HIV+ after 13 years. Probably blood work would show something, having been infected for so long. I am not a doctor, but from everything I have read, it would be practically impossible for you to be infected. Even though I don't think you have any medical need to be tested, just think of how much better you would feel to remove all doubt! By the way, I have the same TERRIBLY FRIGHTENING fear you have, and isn't it funny that we both are afraid because of an affair?? I hope something I have said helps you feel better. Really, I do because I know exactly what you are going through.

Scared
Unregistered

#2492 - 04/04/00 10:19 PM

Oh, the guilt is enough in itself..but then to carry this worry makes it worse! The problem is, no matter where you go looking for info, you find different answers. Some say 8 years to symptoms, others say decades...well, if it takes decades, I guess it IS possible I am infected and dont know it....sometimes I feel like having a breakdown!

Casie
Unregistered

#2493 - 04/04/00 10:19 PM

I KNOW what you are talking about. I am at the breakdown point myself. Here is a thought.. have you donated blood in the last 13 years? Because, they test your blood... just a thought..

Scared
Unregistered

#2494 - 04/04/00 10:20 PM

actually no, I havent donated blood for FEAR of getting a letter in the mail! This is CRAZY worrying and not being tested I know...but, if I am this worked up or NOT knowing, I am sure I would have a coronary in knowing if test came back POS+!

Casie
Unregistered

#2495 - 04/04/00 10:20 PM

You would survive just like the many thousands of others have. But, you very likely are NOT. :)

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2461

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3