Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
uncleargyle

Reged: 12/12/09
Hiv exposure question.. help please
      #248765 - 12/12/09 12:33 AM

hello. Here's my problem. I work with a person who has hiv. We were gift wrapping with a little sewing scissors.. Well, he cut himself on it (just a little prick..that's what she said.. anyway) and then about two hours later I cut myself on the same scissors. Does anybody know how long hiv survives on things like this. I can't seem to find a straight answer. Also I didn't really see any blood on the scissors so it would have been a small amount. Should I test to be sure or should i let this go. By the way.. when i found out this person was positive I was worried about working with him. But the aids helpline said you can't Catch Hiv from working with people. Well.. here I am. in this predicament. maybe i am a jerk but i feel that anybody with Hiv should not be allowed to work with other people because I did not do anything to deserve being at risk!! please help anyone if you can. ALSO.. when I cut my finger it didn't bleed and was a surface scratch.. does that change the scenario. I have called my local aids foundation and they said go to the emergency room and maybe get on some meds to help prevent infection but that i should not be VERY concerned about actually getting it.. This information is contradicting. This is unfair to me. Can anybody help.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jackie__Blue
Legend

Reged: 01/20/07
Re: Hiv exposure question.. help please new
      #248766 - 12/12/09 06:18 AM

At least you know you are a jerk.

You are in no predicament because you had no risk. HIV becomes unable to infect just minutes after it leaves the body. That's minutes....not hours.

I do agree that people that have HIV should not have to work with the likes of you. Perhaps we should put you away on some island so that HIV + people aren't at risk of being exposued to your ignorance.

You encounter people with HIV probably everyday and the only difference between them and your co-worker is that you know you co-worker's status, the risk from getting HIV from any of them without unprotected sex or sharing needles is nil.

It's the idiots like you that keep people with HIV living in the shadows.

Get over yourself.

uncleargyle

Reged: 12/12/09
      #248769 - 12/12/09 02:25 PM

thanks for your response. However.. If i were positive and cut myself I would wash the scissors out of courtest.. as I DiD! after I cut myself. In hospitals I have read that any exposure to hiv needs to be followed up. What is the difference between a hospital setting and my scenario. I understand people being upset with me but I take care of 3 people who can't work. I do not like being put at risk.. I don't care if it's .00000005!! I don't appreciate being called a jerk because I PRACTICE safe sex and do no put myself at risk.. I am sorry if I upset anybody,

Jackie__Blue
Legend

Reged: 01/20/07
      #248770 - 12/12/09 03:36 PM

Keep practicing safe sex and you won't have to be concerned about HIV.

Most people aren't going to tell you that they have HIV. They could be your doctor or your nurse, the guy that cooked your food or your waitress. The DMV clerk or the guy at the grocery store. Your barber, your dentist, your next door neighbor.

I suggest if you really want to live risk-free, you go find a hole to live in.....but then I guess that would even hold an unacceptable amount of risk for you.

This was a no risk situation and I bet if you hadn't known the other person had HIV you never would have given this a second thought. It never should have been an issue.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3124

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3