Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Zoom
Unregistered

ELISA test and sero-conversion?
      #24768 - 11/18/01 02:10 PM

I am very worried eventhough I took an ELISA and antigen p24 test last week after a possible exposure to HIV 7 weeks ago (unprotected sex with a sex worker) and they both came back negative.

I have been really tired the last 4 weeks by some kind of virus that gives me itching in my hands and feet, a white tongue, a painful neck (at the end of the day), a constant headache and a general sense of fatigue at the end of the day (no temperature).

These symptoms started a week after the possible HIV exposure and they have been here since then, some day the headaches are stronger, some day I feel more tired or my neck hurts more while the other symptoms are less apparent.

I was wondering what the percentage of people sero-converting (positive ELISA test) was after 7 weeks.

I will wait another 5 weeks if I have to and I really hope the final test will come back negative.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: ELISA test and sero-conversion? new
      #24769 - 11/18/01 03:21 PM

Your test results are great, you can not self diagnose. Many of us have had similar symptoms only to test negative as well.
Stress and or other ill timed afflictions can be at work.
Stay positive and try not to stress out waiting to take your next test. You are really in great shape now with those results!!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#24770 - 11/18/01 03:29 PM

I had chronic headaches and neck pains as well as fatigue and I tested negative at 3months. Stress takes a toll on the body,

Anonymous
Unregistered

#24773 - 11/18/01 06:30 PM

a simple 7 week elisa negative result puts you in the 90% bracket as what Dr. Holodniy has stated in his expert forum.
with the p24 I don't know.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#24776 - 11/18/01 09:49 PM

What sort of unprotected sex?
It will help to answer your question more accurately.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#24792 - 11/19/01 10:13 AM

7 weeks is nearly 2 months.. my doc said 1 month is enough.. don't worry..

Zoom42
Unregistered

#24867 - 11/20/01 05:16 PM

From what I remember, it was protected vaginal and anal intercourse and unprotected cuninlingus. It should be low risk if the condom did its job.

The girl I slept with tested negative (ELISA) 6 weeks after we slept together.

I had myself the p24 and ELISA tests done in Europe at 7 weeks and they both came back negative.

From what I understand the sequence of markers to identify infection in their chronologic order of appearance is viral RNA, p24 antigen, and anti-HIV antibody and that's why there are several tests that can be taken at different time during acute infection and after.

I did have a bDNA (RNA) test in the US at 6 weeks and it came back negative as well.

I don't know what to think about all these tests anymore because the symptoms are still here eventhough the itching has been gone for three days now.

Only the headache and the neckache and the white tongue remain, they have been here for 6 weeks now.

Zoom42
Unregistered

#24877 - 11/21/01 07:04 AM

Last night was hard. Night sweats awoke me twice (no fever associated) and I had a nightmare where I saw my passport stamped with an HIV + stamp.

I still have the headache, the pain in my neck and my shoulders, the white tongue and the sensation of having a stuffed nose. I also got really tired yesterday around 9:00PM, so tired I fell asleep.

I know all this was relatively low risk and test results are so far negative (eventhough I took the ELISA/p24 test to early and the RNA/bDNA too late and 90% is not 100%) but I can't stop thinking about HIV/AIDS.

I wish I could be more positive about this situation...

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4068

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3