Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Jackie_Blue
Legend

Reged: 10/26/00
Should I test forever???
      #24678 - 11/15/01 05:08 PM

For all of you out that have been told by uninformed doctors or nurses that you need to test for so many YEARS, or still have symptoms that you feel can ONLY be attributed to HIV or worry about the fact the test might not have checked for everything or have looked at different posts about symptoms and see how the poster is worried about nothing, but YOU certainly are a special case and the norm does not apply to you. The following question and answer from Ryan Kull's Safe Sex Forum is for you.

Question: My boyfriend has been living with a positive girl and he had 10 sexual encounters with her,3 of them unprotected. Hes been tested on an ongoing basis for a year and a half. Is it enough to have a definite result ? Is it possible to become positive in the future ? Please answer to this e-mail . I want to be anonimous if it is possible. I dont have a clear information about the window period. 3 months, 6 months, a year ?

Answer: Most people will develop a detectable level of antibodies in about 25 days following exposure, and the vast majority will have detectable levels at three months (estimates of accuracy at three months are as high as 99.9% accurate). Many experts agree--including those at the New York City Department of Health and the Gay Men's Health Crisis--that testing at three months is sufficient. The CDC suggests that people get tested at six months to rule out the rare, but possible, chance that someone receives a false negative at three months; testing at six months following exposure is usually recommended for someone who was DEFINITELY exposed to HIV infected fluids.

ANY TESTING BEYOND SIX MONTHS IS DEFINITELY UNNECESSARY. (Caps on this sentence are mine)

RMK

Please, please, please. I know it is hard to do, but please listen to the experts. They aren't experts because they were pulled off some street corner. They know what they are talking about. Most people on this board do not have high risk exposures in the first place. You are not the one case in a million that won't test properly. I know I have been accused of being territorial and too outspoken, but it really pains me to see the misery that some of you put yourself through and it is so unnecessary. Life is too short to let yourselves lose peace and contentment for any longer than is necessary. If you allow yourselves to be convinced that you are positive contrary to all the evidence then the disease has won even though you are not infected. It has taken over your mind. I don't intend to let it win, why should you?

Peace of mind to you all.

J.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
The strategy
Unregistered

Getting tested first before sex does more new
      #24680 - 11/15/01 07:38 PM

Getting tested for STDs and AIDS HIV regularly gives test results too late, after there's already been opportunity for somebody to get infected. Testing after the fact won't prevent somebody from infection and could involve a third person, for example if there's pregnancy.

The "Not Before We Know" Strategy: two individuals, before they have their first sexual contact, agree to have standard STD clinic tests and share the results with each other BEFORE they have their first sexual contact
http://NotB4WeKnow.EditThisPage.com/discuss

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 617

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3