Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
worried22yo
Expert

Reged: 10/26/01
Loc: Northeast PA
Home finally and hopefully OK
      #24645 - 11/14/01 09:46 PM

Long day guys. Negative.
I do not know what to think; the Dr. at the Clinic even was surprised. She did say something was worng but thinks that after a neg. ELISA at 5 1/2 months I "should" be able to rule out HIV "unless I have a rare strain.
She also suggested that my symptoms, particularly th epetechiae rash, are not psychosymptomatic and she suspects perhaps I have another viral or bacterial infection or a similar autoimmune disorder and is concerned because my partner has the same signs.
So...now in a strange town I have to find a good Dr. and begin trying to figure out if NOT HIV what IS wrong with me. She wants me to get a Complete blood count and have thyroid levels checked to start. Also a mono titer although my partner was negative on that when he was sick.
Please don't yell at me for freaking out guys; even the Dr. said that with my symptoms and the time frame it was very suspicious and recommends not simply letting this go.
I am glad though and relieved; I hope I can trust this ELISA and something lesser is wrong with me, some "smaller" communicable disease or virus. Maybe I can find out what is wrong with me so those who test negative don't feel "crazy." I plan on sticking around and talking, keeping you updated. Thanks so much for the kindness and support you all have offered me. I have learned a huge lesson and will never again be so careless. Consider another activist added to the ranks. :)
Sorry it took me so long to post results--had to rush from getting results to a three hour evening film class, just got in!!

Good luck to everyone!

--------------------
Good luck to everyone!

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jackie_Blue
Legend

Reged: 10/26/00
Re: Home finally and hopefully OK new
      #24649 - 11/14/01 11:10 PM

Congrats on your negative.

I wonder about the quality of the care you have gotton from that doctor. Of course doctors at the County Health Department are probably good enough for run of the mill stuff, but not for anything out of the ordinary. I'm not sure where you found that Petechiae shows in Immune Disorders. No where have I found Petechiae linked with Immune Disorders or Autoimmune Disorders.

Yes with a 5 1/2 month test you should be able to rule out HIV infection. I don't know whether she said unless it's a rare strain or you interpreted that. You had a PCR DNA. It does not look for antibodies or the amount of virus in the blood. It just looks for the DNA structure of the virus. It is very sensitive, know for false postives and even if you had a rare strain I think it would pick it up.

Actually the fact you and your boyfriend are having the same problems leads me to believe even more that it may be something else and not HIV. While ARS symptoms may be similar, they are not the same in each and every person. Also Petechiae is not considered an ARS symptom, in fact I could not find information showing it to be indicitive of HIV infection in any shape or form. But getting back to what I was saying, since you both have the same sypmtoms, I think you are right to consider that it maybe another type of infection.

Now with all that being said. Get a second opinion from a Dermatologist. Since your prime complaint is a rash, it makes sense to see someone that specializes in that type of thing. He can confirm the diagonises of Petechiae and will be more familiar with the type of tests you need.

I have added a list of diseases that can cause Petechiae. Do me a favor however, and don't drive yourself nuts reading about all these diseases and their symptoms. It will only drive you nuts and make you miserable.

Again Congrats on the fact you have tested negative. Have faith that the medical community will figure out what is going on with you and your partner.

Good Luck
J.

Systemic Infection Associated With Petechiae

Viruses
Echoviruses
Coxsackieviruses
Atypical measles
Adenovirus
Dengue virus
Viral hemorrhagic fevers
Rubella
Yellow fever
Congenital cytomegalovirus
Epstein-Barr virus

Bacteria
Staphylococcus aureus
Neisseria gonorrhoeae
Neisseria meningitidis
Capnocytophagia canimorsus
Streptobacillus moniliformis (rat-bite fever)
Rickettsia
R. rickettsia (Rocky Mountain spotted fever)
R. prowazekii (epidemic/louse-borne typhus)
Borrelia sp (relapsing fever)

Protozoal
Plasmodium falciparum (malaria)

JO1
Unregistered

#24655 - 11/15/01 01:17 AM

Invesigate what else it can be. 5 1/2 months is as conclusive as your going to get. Even though you dont know whats causing your symptoms at least you can rule out HIV and thats always a comforting thing to do.

worried22yo
Expert

Reged: 10/26/01
Loc: Northeast PA
      #24660 - 11/15/01 09:10 AM

Hi Jackie.
I have seen many places where petechiae was linked with autoimmune disorders, try Yahoo! Health or WebMD. Search petchiae, and then look under causes. The “rare strain” comment was hers, but she made it known she thought it was not that likely.
As for me and my partner, unfortunately our symptoms aren’t THAT similar. He had node swelling and I did not, I had a very harsh flu condition and he did not.
I think today after my classes are done (3:30) I will call a Dr. and schedule an appointment, and hopefully figure this out before it drives me nuts. There have been so many signs I have been unable to see how it could be anything OTHER than HIV, especially because of the time frame in which this all happened.
Thanks for the reply.

Good luck to everyone!

--------------------
Good luck to everyone!

gregg629
Guardian

Reged: 04/16/01
Loc: Boston
      #24664 - 11/15/01 10:01 AM

HEY Sweety!

I'm very happy to hear that your test came back negative!!!

*BIG SMILE*

Keep my screen name and feel free to IM me anytime or write whenever you want. Best of luck with everything for both you and your BF!

Gregg

Gregg629@aol.com

Dreamer
Unregistered

#24668 - 11/15/01 11:51 AM

CONGRATULATIONS!! I'm so glad that you came up negative.

I know what you're talking about when you say you have been unable to see how it could be anything but HIV, especially cause of the time frame. I'm going thru the same thing. But just believe the test. 5 1/2 months is as conclusive as you can get.

My doctor told me that I could have an autoimmune disease too. And it's like I'm going thru the whole HIV craziness except this time it's with another disease. And from what I hear, autoimmune diseases are very hard to diagnose. But it could be anything. And I'm trying not to look things up on the internet too much. I am not trying to drive myself crazy again.

Congratulations on your negative HIV test! I'm so happy for you.

~Dreamer~

guess
Unregistered

#24670 - 11/15/01 12:55 PM

Hi there, congrats for your results. Everybody here tests neg even though having the typical ars like symtoms. Has this forum got something to do with this?

Just wish to know what other symptoms you had besides rash.
Thanks and good luck.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
2 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2561

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3