Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Goman

Reged: 04/23/09
PCR Accuracy timeline
      #245624 - 04/30/09 05:31 PM

As I am about to get my results, I am curious. I have read Dr. Krull says 4-11 days and the virus shows up in PCR. Is this correct? I know it is not an approved test, but it is for needing to know something prior to the 3 month window. Still will test with the standard one out to there.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Goman

Re: PCR Accuracy timeline new
      #245632 - 05/02/09 01:05 AM

Well, I thought I would post a response to my own question in case others are wondering. I have been researching on the Body and found this post:

http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/SafeSex/Current/Q117212.html

And than one from the Mayo Clinic

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hiv-testing/ID00050

Doesn't really help the freak out time when symptoms present themselves.

ubuntu

Reged: 04/21/09
      #245633 - 05/02/09 02:18 AM

Hi Goman!

You are right. It's really depressing to wait for the 3 months when there are perceived symptoms of HIV.

I've also been waiting for the 3 month period to be up. Had unprotected sex with a sex worker with unknown status last Feb 20. I've tested negative with the abbott-determine test at 1 week, 4 weeks and 9 weeks post exposure. Although delayed seroconversion is possible, people here are saying that i have a good chance of being negative. I just can't wait for the 12 weeks though. Still having oral thrush for a month now. Still lightheaded and sometimes dizzy.

Well I hope everything turns out fine for you. You are not alone waiting.

God bless.

Jackie__Blue
Legend

Reged: 01/20/07
      #245634 - 05/02/09 08:46 AM

Well Gee, I think I remember telling you that a PCR wouldn't be very helpful. You best thank your lucky stars that you didn't get one of those false postives that PCRs are famous for....I can't imagine the state of panic that would have put you into.

Sometimes things in life are not instantous and this is such a case. Look at it this way. It gives you an opportunity to think about what actions got you where you are and gives you time to decide which actions you want to change so you aren't sitting in the hot seat again.

However you don't have to wait 3 months to determine your status. By 6 weeks almost 100% of people that are infected will test postive by ELISA. Most countries and even a few US states have reduced the recommended window down to 6 weeks because of enhanced testing. The 3 month window has hung around since November of 2001 ignoring the great strides that have been made in understanding HIV and creating more accurate testing. If you have to for peace of mind test again at the 3 month mark, but don't expect any negative result to change between 6 and 12 weeks,

SAME GOES FOR YOU UBUNTU. You are negative. Your 3 month test isn't going to change.

Goman

#245645 - 05/04/09 02:01 AM

Yes Esmerelda,
You are right, I am glad I did not get a false positive. But, the negatitive was a good thing. I even called up Roche, and while it took several calls and directions, they even said it is rare that someone would not show positive on the PCR DNA after a few days. That is why they use it for blood donors.

While the PCR RNA is used to measure virual loads they said the DNA is used for newborns and people in high risk situations (Rape, known contact, etc...), since it is a yes/no test and very sensititive. The gentleman I spoke with said it should not be used as a test for unprotected sex situations like mine since it does have false positives and that typically leads to using the PEP drugs, which is the reason they do not recommend it. But, he did say it was very very very rare someone would every test positive after a few days if the PCR showed negatitive. He also said, if someone showed positive that early, they would want to know since there are several tests/studies on the effectiveness of specific drugs that these people could get special treatment.

Anyways, still sucks that I need to wait for the full test. I have to, and will. But, I wish The Body would offfer the tests and make some money off of it. Charge 20% extra and make money to support this website. Since after all, the worried well want to spend money, The Body should help support the Doctors and people who are here working by making money off the worried well who are going to spend it regardless.

ubuntu

Reged: 04/21/09
      #245654 - 05/05/09 06:17 AM

Hey Esmeralda?

Is the Abbott-determine test same as the ELISA test? ELISA test results require 2 weeks, while the Abbott-Determine test only took me 1 day.

Thank you for your answers.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5259

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3