Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
midwesternguy63
New User

Reged: 04/08/09
Scared might be infected with HIV.
      #245278 - 04/08/09 07:19 PM

I'm really scared that I might be HIV positive. I was sleeping with someone that was very promiscuous. We usually had low risk sexual activites, but a couple of times we did things we shouldn't have. The reason I'm worried is because my liver enzymes for ALT and AST are about triple what they should be. I'm going to a Gastroentrologist at the end of the week regarding the matter. I mean it could be something else. I fit all the main causes of a fatty liver - drink(or did) hard liquor heavily, blood sugar is running dangerously high, fairly significant weight problem, don't eat that healthy - was researching it, on some different medications and ALL of those can result in a fatty liver. Although everything else on the blood tests came back normal(ie. blood counts, all those types of...cytes, plus all the rest. I've always tested negative in the passt(last time 2 years ago), but am worried becauseof this individual I was having relations with. I can't get ot the health center for a month or two because they won't let me off work. They have free testing there so I'll have it done at that time. Just posting here because I'm so scared and just wanted ot see wat others might think. Thanks.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jackie__Blue
Veteran

Reged: 01/20/07
Re: Scared might be infected with HIV. new
      #245302 - 04/10/09 08:48 PM

I'm not sure why your elevated liver enzymes trigger you to worry about HIV. High levels are not so much a concern because of HIV itself, but from the medications that are extremely toxic to the liver.
Again, I'm not sure why the discussion about your blood tests coming back normal is relevant. They have nothing to do with determining your status.
Now onto to the relevant stuff. Just because someone is promiscuous doesn't mean they have HIV anymore than someone that is circumspect means they don't have HIV. That's why a person should assume that any and every partner does have HIV until proven otherwise and thus taking the proper actions to protect your health. You should not be concerned that you may have become infected with HIV because of the person you were with. You should be concerned that you may have become infected because YOU choose to engage in unsafe activities.
Since I don't know what 'things we shouldn't have' means, I certainly can't give you any type of risk assessment. Some people do feel that they have engaged in risky behavior when in actuality, the behaviors are not considered risky. So I’m going to assume you know what is risky behavior and have indeed engaged in an activity that is considered a risk.
No amount of speculation is going to give you the answer you seek. Get a test done and since you are concerned that you are infected, make sure that you behave as such during sex making sure to use condoms to protect any partners.
Good luck with your test.

Jackie__Blue
Veteran

Reged: 01/20/07
      #245303 - 04/10/09 09:03 PM

I'm not sure why your elevated liver enzymes trigger you to worry about HIV. High levels are not so much a concern because of HIV itself, but from the medications that are extremely toxic to the liver.

Again, I'm not sure why the discussion about your blood tests coming back normal is relevant. They have nothing to do with determining your status.

Now onto to the relevant stuff. Just because someone is promiscuous doesn't mean they have HIV anymore than someone that is circumspect means they don't have HIV. That's why a person should assume that any and every partner does have HIV until proven otherwise and thus taking the proper actions to protect your health. You should not be concerned that you may have become infected with HIV because of the person you were with. You should be concerned that you may have become infected because YOU choose to engage in unsafe activities.

Since I don't know what 'things we shouldn't have' means, I certainly can't give you any type of risk assessment. Some people do feel that they have engaged in risky behavior when in actuality, the behaviors are not considered risky. So I’m going to assume you know what is risky behavior and have indeed engaged in an activity that is considered a risk.

No amount of speculation is going to give you the answer you seek. Get a test done and since you are concerned that you are infected, make sure that you behave as such during sex making sure to use condoms to protect any partners.
Good luck with your test.

clarissea
New User

Reged: 12/18/09
      #248816 - 12/18/09 01:12 AM

The safest and surest way is to get tested. Seek medical help. There are loads of confidential HIV testing out there. You can also look online for articles concerning this. I myself was infected with STD once. It may not be as dangerous as HIV but believe me, the paranoia can eat you up. If there is any doubt, go see a doctor.

--------------------
Simple STD Testing

kevcnj
New User

Reged: 02/18/10
      #249484 - 02/18/10 08:41 PM

High Liver enzymes can be an indication of HEP-C. Have your doctor do a HEP-C test. Once diagnosed, a liver biopsy can be done and if no bigger problems, you can be put on interfuron. It knocked the HEP-C out of me 20 years ago and I have had no sign of the disease since. Good luck

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3732

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3