Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
anonymoususer

Reged: 12/27/08
Tested negative but still showing symptoms...
      #243643 - 12/27/08 09:07 PM

Hi all,

I'm a straight female, and I had a risky sexual encounter in November 07. It was with a guy who's HIV status is unknown. I performed unprotected oral sex on him for a short time (he didn't ejaculate) and he performed unprotected oral sex on me briefly as well. I have not seen him since.

I started to get a cough sometime in December 07. Finally in early March 08 I got tested, the 20-minute test, and it was negative. Later that month I took the blood test - again, negative. My doctor told me to not worry about it, that I was negative.

However the next few months I began to get colds off and on, constantly. I now have what I guess is some kind of chronic respiratory infection - I always have a cough and one of my nostrils is always plugged.

Very recently I have become constantly itchy, and I know it's not mosquitos. I've got a reddish bump on my right arm, and a itchy rash on my left wrist, and on the top of my left hand. I had a rash on my leg too but it seems to be gone now...

I felt ok for a while after getting my negative test back, but this rash thing is really freaking me out. I'm really scared now. I've contemplated suicide in the past few weeks more than I ever have in my life. I know I can't afford HIV medication if I am positive. I feel ok now but I don't know if one day I am going to wake up sick as a dog and then I'll know. I just don't know what to do. Someone help.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Roper2008
Fanatic

Reged: 10/17/07
Loc: London, UK
Re: Tested negative but still showing symptoms... new
      #243661 - 12/29/08 03:57 PM

Please be assured your negative test results are final and definitive. I was like you, took one test, didn't believe the results - took another test 9 months later still negetive!!

Trust your results, the Dr's know their stuff!!

Be well, Roper

testednegative

Reged: 12/30/08
      #243674 - 12/30/08 01:10 PM

you are a brainless moron or a troll if you still believe that you are positive. look at your reults please you got tested after the window period of three months and you are negative. Please dont base your conclusins on symptoms. please read my story... i am sure that it would provide you hope.
http://www.thebody.com/cgi-bin/bbs/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=infected&Number=243672&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

anonymoususer

#243675 - 12/30/08 04:04 PM

testednegative, I am not a brainless idiot and most definitely not a troll! After putting myself at risk like that I think it's natural to worry even after I got a negative test...And especially when health problems I didn't really have before the encounter come up ...Like for example, last night, after eating my dinner I had horrible indigestion, I vomited up some of my dinner and had a bad coughing fit...then the indigestion kept coming back and I couldn't sleep for a few hours...I felt horrible, I thought I was getting sick AGAIN, but I feel fine now.

But thank you for taking the time to type out your story, I read it and it did give me comfort.

Jackie__Blue
Legend

Reged: 01/20/07
      #243678 - 12/30/08 07:19 PM

It would be a shame if you were to drop dead from some other disease that you hadn't bothered to considered because you focused all your energy on the one disease that test show you clearly don't have.

HIV isn't the only game in town. If you feel you have serious health issues that must be addressed, then see your doctor and commit to determining what your health issue is exactly.

testednegative

Reged: 12/30/08
      #243681 - 12/31/08 03:14 AM

hmmm i didnt mean you to be offended by my words... i am sorry if they offended you.. however know for sure that you dont have hiv and whatever is causing your symptom is not hiv and most probably just your mind manifesting itself..... Please think again and again in your mind about the conclusiveness of your test results and be at peace, there is absolutely no need to worry about hiv

anonymoususer

#243807 - 01/10/09 01:08 AM

To Esmerelda: I have thought of possibly having some other illness, i don't know what it would be though. I have been meaning to go to the doctor for some time..

I just got the flu AGAIN yesterday...Last time I got it was in December 08! It hasn't even been a month since I last got the flu!! And I don't remember being around sick people... I just get it out of nowhere.
In my mind the only thing I can attribute it to is HIV... I really hope it's not... I hope that I don't have it..
The itching is driving me crazy too.. There are red spots showing up on my arms, as well as what look like scabs...

I don't know...It's weird. It's making me really depressed and scared. And I hate this flu. I hate this feeling. I hate getting sick all the time. I'm going to make a doctor's appointment as soon as I can. Hopefully I can figure out what's going on. Again I can only hope it's not HIV...or even AIDS..

Thanks to everyone for your support and understanding!

Jackie__Blue
Legend

#243811 - 01/10/09 08:56 AM

"I have been meaning to go to the doctor for some time..
"

Obviously you aren't that concerned about your health.

anonymoususer

#243834 - 01/12/09 09:28 PM

"Obviously you aren't that concerned about your health."

No, i am... I'm just very busy... school has just started and I'm working as well..

and also of course I'm fearful. I'm absolutely terrified. I'm trying to concentrate on getting ready for this semester, trying to think about work, trying to think about my future, but all I can think about is possibly being HIV positive. I hate myself for doing this to myself, for putting myself at risk like I did. I mean when I got that negative test in March 08, I was so happy and I tried to put all my fear and anxiety behind me. But now it's coming back. Especially since I STILL get the flu almost every month.

But... there is no escaping it, I already know what I have to do: I need to get another, final test, and, whether I'm positive or not, i need to go to the doctor. That's it. But it's so so scary... You must be able to understand my anxiety...

Jackie__Blue
Legend

#243839 - 01/13/09 07:37 AM

You aren't going to test postive. You tested negative in March and that was enough time to get a conclusive result. You clearly test negative and even your doctor told you not to worry about it.

If you are having trouble accepting the fact that you don't have HIV, then perhaps you should look at counseling, if you can fit that in your busy schedule.

Which by the way...using a full schedule as a reason to only complain about your health and not actually do anything else is lame. I'm also a full time student and I work full time. I have a husband, 3 cats, 1 dog and an almost 90 year old mother that need me and I've just gotten through the first stage of child rearing...they have now all moved out, but not yet back in....all that and I still make my doctor appointments in a timely manner.

Of course my secret is that I hardly ever get sick, even though I have been living with HIV for 12 years, so your logic that just because you get sick every month it has to be HIV, is seriously flawed.

Cobal
Master

Reged: 07/23/06
      #243843 - 01/13/09 12:24 PM

Look up my name. I became ill three years ago and like yourself felt that it had to be HIV, but test negative again last month, Just like you I have had a hard time putting it behind me. I'm not saying that there is nothing wrong with you, but by todays testing standards you are conclusive and negative. I would look for other causes, and there you will need your doctor for guidance.

anonymoususer

#243993 - 01/20/09 08:51 PM

Esmerelda, thank you for your words. It was really lame of me to make excuses for not going to the doctor.. I have finally made a doctor's appointment, hopefully my doctor can figure out what's wrong.

It's weird that I get sick all the time. Last night I felt like I was coming down with a cold AGAIN, after I JUST got over one. I still feel a little ill but I don't have a cold, thank goodness. I can't afford to get sick again.

Anyway, I hope I can get down to the bottom of this...

anonymoususer

#244641 - 02/18/09 12:43 AM

I went to a doctor last week and she gave me medication for the strange bumps on my arms. She assured me that they're not scabies. They've started to clear up but there is still traces of them, like scars. I STILL have the itching at night. And recently I've woken up to a kind of thick white coating on my tongue. I haven't gotten a cold for a while though which is good..

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8830

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3