Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Why people doubt test results!
      #24313 - 11/07/01 09:48 AM

Everyone wonders WHY when someone gets their Negative resluts past the 6 month "window" period .. its noramlly because of stories like THIS that you can read on The Body. Here is just ONE of them
http://www.thebody.com/apla/aug99/kimberly.html
So please dont roll your eyes when people are doubting thier results...stories like this scare people.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Why people doubt test results! new
      #24315 - 11/07/01 10:22 AM

Couldn't you find a story that didn't have a person test from the early-mid 90's. Rule of thumb in HIV anything more than a year old is out of date.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#24316 - 11/07/01 10:54 AM

Hallo!
She had full blown AIDS, that why the test didnīt picj up the infection. She had probably antoher test done to measure her viral load. If you have full blown AIDS your HIV test is negativ!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#24317 - 11/07/01 10:58 AM

But she tested from 93-96...!!!!!!! All negative.
have they changed the way they have tested since then????

Anonymous
Unregistered

#24319 - 11/07/01 11:22 AM

So people that wait 2-3yrs to take a HIV test basically cant believe thier negative results because they could have full blown aids? Is that what your saying?????

guess
Unregistered

#24324 - 11/07/01 02:08 PM

This is really scary man. Wish I'd never done the stupidity I did: sure I'll follow the same f g path.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#24357 - 11/07/01 09:37 PM

If that were true then half of the theories about aids are also out of date. Including the one that originally says that AZT cut transmission rates from mother to child by what was it 2/3. Most articles these days still consider that study current and relevent and it was done back in 93-94. In science there is no rule of thumb about how far back you can go. That only applies to High school and college classes. The only thing limiting studies and situations in the real world is wheter there is more recent info to back it up or disprove it.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#24358 - 11/07/01 09:48 PM

I've never heard that myth before. When indicator diseases set in(wheter it is aids or just the disease) people generally have more trouble with false positives than false negatives. This is because those tests look for anti-bodies and when you are sick as a rule of thumb there will be more anti-bodies present. The more likely cause of repeated false negatives is that back in 93 the most labs weren't using FDA approved test kits because of expence. Back then a person could theoretically send the same blood to two different labs and receive two different results. Not as true anymore, but then it was. Now days all labs use FDA approved test kits in the US. Although I should also admit I haven't read the story at the link posted so I am going on what everyone has said so far as to what you are discussing and pointing out facts.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1972

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3