Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
cleanbr

Reged: 08/08/08
I need help about p24 band
      #241222 - 08/08/08 05:15 PM

I took a routine blood test and they told me I am HIV+ I freaked out like anyone would. I have been with my wife for 1 year and 6 months and her test results came back neg. I went to a infectious disease doctor and they told me my wb test says indeterminate. I am waiting for my dna pcr test to come back. I took a rna pcr test and am waiting for that also. is it possible that I can be neg as well with a p24 band. They found a p24 band in the wb test. I have a cd4+ of over 1100 I am hardly ever sick and have never had symptoms that I know of. Please can someone let me in on some information so I might be able to relax a bit. I have been stressed and freaking out for 2 weeks now and my wife and I barley touch each other. This is hard for us because we are a very passionate couple.

Thank You

Edited by cleanbr (08/08/08 05:37 PM)

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Dorah70

Reged: 08/01/08
Loc: South Africa
Re: I need help about p24 band new
      #241223 - 08/08/08 05:22 PM

Hello,
I may not have any information but i will tell you this......i tested positive and my husband negative.i just could not understand what happened and even up to this moment i dont know what happend.
please dont panick,things will work out.what ever results you will get after two weeks just accept them.
KEEP WELL ....PLEASE DONT WORRY TOO MUCH

--------------------
SWEET AND LOVING PERSON

cleanbr

#241224 - 08/08/08 05:34 PM

So this is a possibility that I am pos even though my partner is not and I only have the p24 band? My doctor called and said they need me to come in on monday and get the results from the rna test.

chrisbadmushroom
Guardian

Reged: 05/24/07
      #241225 - 08/08/08 06:30 PM

It is possible that it could be a false negative all you can really do now is hope for the best but be prepared for the worst I wish you luck and hope you do not kill yourself with stress because it can do allot of harm try to relax go to the bar and tie one on

Dorah70

Reged: 08/01/08
Loc: South Africa
      #241229 - 08/09/08 12:56 AM

All i can say to you is relax...dont stress.I know it is very hard for you to do that at this point.You have to know that HIV
is not a death sentence.There are people who have lived with it for years and there are those who were born with and as i am writting now they are in their twenties.
Take care dear dont worry.i am with you in prayers,i know what you are going through.wish you luck.

--------------------
SWEET AND LOVING PERSON

Jackie__Blue
Legend

Reged: 01/20/07
      #241240 - 08/09/08 08:44 AM

Quote:

You have to know that HIV is not a death sentence.

That isn't true and this line of thinking is contributing to the increase in new infections. ďWhy worry about HIV when all I have to do is pop a pill or two. HIV isnít life threatening anymore. Itís no big dealĒ

While antiretroviral therapy has lead to an increase in years, we are now finding it's coming with a cost. While fewer people are dying from HIV itself, more are dying from the use of long term antiretroviral therapy. Studies are beginning to show the death rate increasing from liver disease, cardiovascular disease and cancer in people that have been on long-term therapy. More people are presenting in their middle age with diseases normally associated with geriatrics.

http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/extract/293/17/2081

http://www.thebody.com/content/art10190.html

http://www.thebody.com/content/art12984.html

http://gateway.nlm.nih.gov/MeetingAbstracts/ma?f=102276397.html

Because of life has been lengthen there is now an increase in HIV associated dementia and other neurological complications. Remember, even with an undetectable viral load, the virus is still present and still doing damage. Just at a slower pace, that's all ART does. Slow the virus down. It doesn't stop the progression of the disease.

http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/bb/neuro/neuro01/web1/Mendillo.html

"With the advent of more effective highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART) and thus increased life span of people with AIDS, neurological disorders are becoming a hot topic in AIDS research. In the early days of the epidemic, those infected with the virus could only hope to live for a short time before developing the symptoms of full blown AIDS, and death ensued shortly afterwards. The progress made in treatment in the past two decades has prolonged the lives of people with AIDS, to the point where diagnosis is no longer a sign of imminent debilitation and death, but rather an acknowledgement of a possible long road ahead with the aid of drug cocktails. There is also a strong possibility that the HIV infected person may develop HIV associated dementia after years of living with the disease (1). "

http://www.caregiver.org/caregiver/jsp/content_node.jsp?nodeid=1107

http://www.emedicine.com/med/topic3151.htm

http://www.retrovirology.com/content/3/1/28

Make no mistake. HIV is still a very serious disease. It's a no win situation. Don't take the medications and you die. Take the medications and you still die, but for many after enduring years of debilitating complications.

Don't sugar coat this disease.

cleanbr

#241249 - 08/09/08 03:52 PM

i understand there are many that have lived long with it and still are living. but this is a death sentence to me. my wife and i lost all our passion for one another andit continues to get worse. i just am praying that there is hope that i have a high chance to be negative and can carry on with my life as normal. if not i can see it will be a long road and i would imagine aloness.

ravi
Legend

Reged: 11/19/05
Loc: Adelaide, Australia
      #241266 - 08/10/08 06:47 AM

Hi there,

First off, there should be a strong foundation behind your worry for HIV. If you have had no exposure, then perhaps, itís more to do with fear and OCD. However, if you have had an exposure, then I do understand, your worry is justified.

Now, did the medical facility conduct a routine screening HIV test or any counselling? If yes, then conducting a WB sounds good, if they didnít, then directly performing a WB is not the correct route for diagnosis. Moreover, a Western Blot (WB) test should be coupled with EIA test, as there is a chance that WB tests may give false-positives.

Perhaps this link might shed more light... http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/SafeSex/Archive/Pregnancy/Q189445.html

Good luck

--------------------
Take Care

God Bless you

Stay Well

Love Ravi

cleanbr

#241301 - 08/11/08 03:14 PM

I just got my results for the RNA test and it says that it is undetectable less then 48 points. I think this could be a good thing but I am not sure. If anyone can help me still please reply

chrisbadmushroom
Guardian

Reged: 05/24/07
      #241302 - 08/11/08 03:57 PM

It means (and I am sure your Dr told you this) that you are most lickely not infected with HIV because if you where seroconverting you would have a detectable viral load there for you had a false pos on your elisa

cleanbr

#241303 - 08/11/08 05:13 PM

This is why everything about my blood test is confusing to me. They tell me 10 different things. It is hard to believe everything. I have never had any symptoms that they say you get in seroconversion or anything. I have been with the same person for 1 year and 6 months and she has never had any symptoms either. I need to wait for my DNA PCR test then after that I will hopefully know for sure. Thank you all for all the help you guys are giving me and if you can continue to keep giving me info that will be helpful.

Jackie__Blue
Legend

Reged: 01/20/07
      #241307 - 08/11/08 07:36 PM

The Elisa is a screening test. It's designed to catch someone that might be postive, so it isn't as specific. That's why the WB must be performed to confirm a postive result. In my state, a person can't even qualify for ADAP unless they have received a postive Western Blot.

Sometime a Western Blot will come back indeterminate. That can happen for two reasons. You are in the process of seroconverting or because something in your body chemistry triggers this response.

The rule of thumb is to test again in a month or so. Two indeterminate WB's means a person is HIV negative. With better testing it would seem your doctor opted for doing a viral load instead. Your result means you don't have a decetacable level of virus in your blood. It's extremely rare for someone that is infected to have an undectecable viral load without the benefit of medication, and would be next to impossible for someone that is sero-converting.

More than likely your will find your PCR DNA will also be negative in light of your other test results. As long as you know that you have not put yourself at risk in the last 4 weeks or so then you should relax as to the final outcome.

I know this is putting you through hell, but keep in mind, it's a good thing these tests are designed so people don't fall through the cracks that are indeed HIV positive.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9459

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threadsô 6.2.3