Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
taipeitimes

Reged: 05/26/08
Loc: Taiwan
this sucks...
      #241134 - 08/05/08 05:28 AM

My partner has HIV and we are very careful, except when it comes to oral sex. Though he comes outside, I am still worried especially since his viral load has been high (only 4 months diagnosed). Three weeks ago, he had more precum than normal, and my receding gums and I got worried. This week, I came down with a nasty cold (congestion, sneezing, coughing, fever) and convinced myself this was the first stage of HIV. I just took a 15-minute response test and was negative, but the doctor told me I can't be sure yet. Is this true? If I do have it, my viral load would be huge right now, so wouldn't it show up on a test even if it is just three weeks later?

Thanks for any experience with testing that may allay my fears. Also, please share your views about the safety of unprotected oral sex.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jackie__Blue
Legend

Reged: 01/20/07
Re: this sucks... new
      #241137 - 08/05/08 06:26 AM

Those 15 minute tests do not measure viral load. The postive reaction from them is from the test detecting antibodies to HIV. These tests are pretty accurate by 6 weeks, not 4, but they are considered conclusive at 3 months.

The risk to giving oral is extremely low (1 in 10,000), but there is a risk and some people have become infected from giving oral. How much risk you are willing to accept is something only you can answer.

Good luck with your test.

ravi
Legend

Reged: 11/19/05
Loc: Adelaide, Australia
Re: this sucks... new
      #241161 - 08/06/08 12:34 AM

Hi,

Oral sex in general is a low risk activity, especially in absence of blood. However it does pose some risk. Your partner has a high viral load, nothing surprising as, he has just tested for HIV and you have receding gums, this perhaps might change the perspective of the risk from this episode on a whole. However, i would still think the risk is low.

We all take risks, perhaps we choose what to do and what not too, as we consider ourselves as the best judge. I wouldn’t loose much sleep over this, your symptoms are not indicative of a classical ARS. However, this does not mean you shouldn’t test.. Get tested and use condoms in future!

Good luck

--------------------
Take Care

God Bless you

Stay Well

Love Ravi

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3382

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3