Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
TTTT0012

Reged: 07/18/08
Should I stop worrying?
      #240754 - 07/18/08 01:46 AM

Hello all,
I've been reading on this web board for quite a while, and this is the first time I actually post a message. My story goes like this:
I had a possible HIV exposure about 15 weeks ago through protected sex with a prostitute, which I found out later that the condom had a small leak on it. I've been very worry since then. In the second week, I started searching for 'the enlarged lymph node' around my body and found that one of the node in my neck is pretty big. I had an antigen test on 3.5 and 7 weeks after the possible exposure, the result came back negative. During this time, I don't have any symptom of fever and sore throat. But I do have a terrible neck/shoulder pain with a few time of diarrhea. On the 14 week after the exposure, I went back to get a test (The western blot), and the result came back negative. However, the painless 'enlarged' lymph node on my right side of the neck still there, and it worry me quite a bit. The doctor told me not to worry if it doesn't get larger or harder. The back/neck and shoulder pain still persists, and now I started to have a sore throat. Should I stop worrying about this ? or there is a possibility that I would be HIV positive? Anybody have a similar case with prolonged enlarged lymph node? This worrying has been occupying my mind for the last 3.5 months.
Just a final comment, for those who about to repeat the same mistake I did. Please 'THINK' before you act. It is not worth it to trade 15 minutes of fun with 3 months of worrying.
Thanks for any comment you may have.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Cobal
Master

Reged: 07/23/06
Re: Should I stop worrying? new
      #240758 - 07/18/08 11:10 AM

You had a negative test after 12 weeks, most would consider that to be conclusive. Just playing with the lymph nodes can cause them to swell. Other infections such as CMV or EBV both associated with mono will give you the same symptoms. From what I read the Elisa test is more sensitive than the western blot, and would pick up the antibody faster. The western blot is used just to confirm the results.

uglyduck
Grand Master

Reged: 08/21/07
Loc: Dominican Republic
      #240772 - 07/18/08 06:08 PM

I agree a 100% with COBAL. A test beyond 12/13 weeks is conclusive. one more thing to add, the western blot is used to confirm an infection (a person who tested positive in the ELIZA). So, you're negative..

PS: stop stressing out, and stop playing with your lymph nodes cuz both stress, playing with them or other virues can cause to grow... in your case it might be either anxity or you poking them...

bios23
Expert

Reged: 04/27/08
      #240783 - 07/18/08 11:18 PM

symptoms like back and neck pain seem more .. hear this... stress related?? I don't know. I see old ladies at church complaining about it and I don't think its HIV. Would you??

but no no... even church ladies don't get hiv screened, so I kinda doubt about whats really their hiv status (its not with whom you do it, but rather how you do it, right?)
but you??? nahh. you know why?? because your tests tell that you are negative, well passed the window period

the chances of actually having hiv from that episode after it was protected sex (small leak is better than no condom at all. right...think about it) , of a 7 week antigen negative, and a 13 week negative western blot are like... 0.0000metheor in your head kind of probabilties000000000?

Just trying to let you bring back some reason. I know how mind can play tricks on you. My mind gave me even a white tongue and fever and gosh. so many 'symptoms'. But you should trust more those exams than your own 'very generic' symptoms.
You are soooooooooooo hiv-negative. but if you doubt get another elisa... and another and another and another that they will keep coming back negative. Its not necessary. But everything for your peace of mind man.

ravi
Legend

Reged: 11/19/05
Loc: Adelaide, Australia
      #240825 - 07/20/08 07:44 AM

Hi,

your tests indicate you are negative and the swollen lymph node is due to some other reason. I dont think you should be worrying about acquiring HIV from the episode you mention. As for your symptoms, get them evaluated from your healthcare provider.

Goodluck

--------------------
Take Care

God Bless you

Stay Well

Love Ravi

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4231

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3