Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
nervousAnon
Unregistered

Pin stick and HIV?
      #24068 - 10/31/01 10:16 PM

This may be a stupid question and some of you out there may laugh, but it is something that is not funny to me.

Earlier tonight, I walked outside with my socks on to put something in my truck (which was parked in the driveway). On my way back towards the garage, I walked in the stones that are around our house and I stepped on a sharp object that I thought was a sand spur. When I looked down at my foot, I noticed that it was a pin (like the ones that come with shirts and pants.) I immediately pulled it out and threw it away. When I looked at my socks, I noticed a very, very small (almost like a dot)area of blood on my sock. When I looked at my foot (it was the heal where the pin went in), I noticed a very, very, very small puncture where the pin stuck in my heal.
I don't know where the pin came from, or how long it was there, since I recently moved out of the house and got a place of my own. And with tonight being Halloween, many people walked near the rock area to get to the front door.

My question is: is there any way that I could possibly have been infected with HIV? The pin was only in my foot for a maximum 5-10 seconds. I know this may seem like a silly and ridiculous question, but for someone who just went through the window period, it is not funny to me. I would appreciate any and all information from all of you out there.

Thanks
nervousAnon

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Striker
Unregistered

Re: Pin stick and HIV? new
      #24070 - 10/31/01 11:10 PM

In, one word, no. Let's think about this one. You stepped on a little clothes pin. The probability of HIV infected fluids being on this are so low, they are almost nonexistant and probably are. But, let's theorize and say they were. How long would it take for those fluids to dry out given the very small surface area of the pin and the exposure to air? Very quickly, probably a couple minutes to 5 minutes. So, the pin would have to had blood(or some HIV infected fluid on it) on it AND it would have needed to be dropped within probably 5 minutes of your stepping on it. Given all of this, I stick by my answer of no. Sadly, you probably have a better chance of getting anthrax these days than you do getting HIV from this pin. Sorry to hear about your previous window period, but please try to relax about HIV. It is a very fragile virus when exposed to the environment and will die very quickly when this happens.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3151

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3