Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
shinpai

Reged: 07/14/08
HIV Positive?
      #240663 - 07/14/08 06:15 PM

Hi,

I had unprotected sex with a guy on June 4, 2008. He did not ejaculate inside me. A week after I started yawning a lot and feeling sleepy all the time. I also noticed that I had softer than usual stool. Three weeks later I started feeling a tingling sensation in my vagina (exactly where his penis touches me when we have sex). Within a week after that, the tingling changed to a burning sensation that continued for approx. 2 days then returned to a mild tingling sensatiion. I had flu-like symptoms (except fever) and noticed that a dry-skin rash that sometimes appear on my skin has appeared. I also have has a swollen lymph node in the groin for the past 10 or so days. It is not painful and is now barely visible. I have had a sore throat for the past two weeks accompanied by post-nasal drip. There is no pain in my throat just a discomfort that seems to be moving to my chest.

Does anyone recognize these symptoms and could they mean that I'm HIV positive after this encounter? The guy and I broke up around the time I started feeling the vaginal irritation (I found out he'd been cheating) and I wonder if stress could cause some of these symptoms.

I have done preliminary tests for a number of STDs and am waiting for the results.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bios23
Expert

Reged: 04/27/08
Re: HIV Positive? new
      #240685 - 07/15/08 10:26 PM

I'm sorry to hear about your cheating boyfriend!!
As you obviously know, Unprotected sex = exposure, not only to HIV but to lots of stds
but symptoms =not HIV
specially since they are so non-specific

All I can tell you is that you can't self diagnose yourself by the symptoms, and that you are doing the right thing by getting an std screening. I hope it all comes negative!!!

By the way I just looked at the calendar (yes...I actually counted it hehe) and you are almost 6 weeks from your exposure! You can get an ELISA at this time and get a very accurate result. Its not definitive yet, but its a very very good prediction of what your ELISA at 3 months will look like.
Specially if you can get yourself a 4th generation Elisa that will look if your body is producing antibodies (as the other elisas) plus will look for the p24 protein (that is found time before the antibodies)

Let us knows your results!!!! *crossing fingers*

shinpai

#240727 - 07/17/08 12:21 PM

Thanks for responding bios23. I'm going for my results on Friday. I'm praying that I have some other STD but I have a feeling that I don't because my doctor had said he'd have called me if there was anything. If I'm all clear for other STDs then I'm pretty sure I'm HIV+.....it just seems like too much of a co-incidence for all these things to be happening to me all at once at this particular time....I don't know.....sigh.........

bios23
Expert

#240784 - 07/18/08 11:21 PM

well. its friday!! what were your results?
and dude, its past 6 weeks. get an elisa right away, it will give you a very very clear picture of what your status is!

shinpai

#240814 - 07/19/08 07:24 PM

I found out that the skunk gave me herpes!!! I'm still going to do another HIV test though. God I hate this!!!

PS I'm a girl not a "dude".

vivo
Grand Master

Reged: 05/16/07
      #240815 - 07/19/08 08:37 PM

hey dude,i think you are going to learn how to live with herpes.good luck with that.don't be selfish and tell your future partner that you have herpes.we don't want more ppl with that std.take care.things will be ok.

bios23
Expert

#240816 - 07/19/08 10:17 PM

I know what you mean! the 'waiting' is thought. At least in my case I could not think about anything else during the day and started having lots of symptoms that finally turned out to be created by my mind (including fever, a swollen lymph node and the most 'amazing' a white tongue). I even started neglecting my obligations because i could not really concentrate on anything. some people seem to take it better than others

ok. just lets have it clear I have never seen a guy with a tingling vagina :P . It was kinda clear from the beginning :P
but saying 'dudette' sounds like not a real word lol
Anyways herpes seems to explains the enlarged groin lymph node.

This is textual. recognize the symptoms??

"The first symptoms of herpes usually occur within two to seven days after contact with an infected person but may take up to two weeks. Symptoms of the primary infection are usually more severe than those of recurrent infections. For up to 70% of the patients, the primary infection causes symptoms which affect the whole body (called "constitutional symptoms") including tiredness, headache, fever, chills, muscle aches, loss of appetite, as well as painful, swollen lymph nodes in the groin. These symptoms are greatest during the first three to four days of the infection and disappear within one week. The primary infection is more severe in women than in men."
http://www.healthatoz.com/healthatoz/Atoz/common/standard/transform.jsp?requestURI=/healthatoz/Atoz/ency/genital_herpes.jsp

Besides, post nasal drip is not really an ARS symptom....

So all in all I feel more positive that you are indeed a negative

"I'm still going to do another HIV test though"
wait. I'm a bit confused now. In this STD check up you got, did you get an hiv test as well??
Because you know a six week elisa is not 'definitive' but its a super good signal of what a 13 week elisa will look like ...
If you haven't, then get one right away!

and hey. glad you are not dating that skunk anymore. really. pff. that was a little word for what that jerk he deserves to be called

much love and light,
bios

ravi
Legend

Reged: 11/19/05
Loc: Adelaide, Australia
      #240829 - 07/20/08 07:55 AM

Hi there,

You did place yourself at risk, however, the risk is reduced since there was no ejaculation. The symptoms you experience are not flu like, since the main component, fever is absent.

Anywhich way diagnosing on the basis of symptoms is inappropriate. Get tested for HIV/STD's and use condoms in future.

Goodl uck

--------------------
Take Care

God Bless you

Stay Well

Love Ravi

shinpai

#240881 - 07/22/08 12:14 PM

Hi vivo,

I most certainly intend to disclose that I have herpes to any future partners. I'm not THAT irresponsibe. )

shinpai

#240882 - 07/22/08 12:17 PM

bios23 LOL@ dudette

The reason I'm going to do another HIV test is because the first one was done just a month after exposure. I still haven't the courage to go for the second one as yet.

I just want to be 100% sure that I do not have it because I've read that herpes makes one more susceptible to contracting HIV. I really just want to be sure.

I'm in a bit of a quandry because while I desperately want to know my status, I don't want to know for fear of being positive and then having to deal with all that come with that knowledge...

Edited by shinpai (07/25/08 11:57 AM)

shinpai

#240883 - 07/22/08 12:19 PM

Hi ravi,

Thanks for pointing that out. Once I became aware of the symptoms, I kept checking for signs of a fever, but found none even to today.

bios23
Expert

#241132 - 08/04/08 09:46 PM

lol
sorry I've been a bit busy lately. I came to peep whats new with you
I know what you mean!! and i guess most people reading this do as well... that fear is ugh. horrible. but I guess its better to know any kind of news already. I mean If you have HIV (which at this point i doubt) you have it already with or without knowing it...
so better to knwo it already to move on with your life, either by leaving this all behind or either by starting treatment (which now turns life expectancy up to 49* years after you contracted it... And if they find a cure in the next 49 years you are going to be eventually free of the virus)
Its never a good time to catch HIV,,,but I guess one is way better off with today than lets say, someone who contracted it in the early 80s

* http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7523212.stm

Any news dudette sheen-pah-ee ??

blueguy

Reged: 08/30/09
      #247304 - 08/31/09 12:02 AM

so what ahppened?????? you shold have gotten your tests by now? ...so....???

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6997

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3