Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
abcd1234

Reged: 06/27/08
Exposed and worried
      #240259 - 06/27/08 11:46 PM

Was really drunk and met a guy at the bar and went home with him. Made out a little bit and decided to have sex. I inserted into him and was barely in him for 30 seconds (unprotected) when he told me he was HIV positive. Stopped then and there. I know I have to wait 3 months but I'm worried sick. I think b/c I was insertive and it was so short my risk should be minimal, but I know I was exposed regardless so I'm curious how worried I should be. Can I get tested at 4 or 6 weeks for some reassurance before the 3 month test?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jackie__Blue
Legend

Reged: 01/20/07
Re: Exposed and worried new
      #240265 - 06/28/08 06:53 AM

While your risk wasn't great, it's a good idea to get tested. Most people that become infected will test postive by 6 weeks. A negative result at 6 weeks is highly unlikely to change when you have a conclusive test at 3 months.

IcyMan

Reged: 06/26/08
Loc: Iceland
      #240266 - 06/28/08 06:57 AM

Hi. My exposure was quite alike to yours. To tell you the truth I have not functioned well for the past 4 months (my exposure was on Feb 25th). Going thru the statistics available from differently reliable internet sources the chances of contracting the hiv thru insertive anal intercourse is from 1/200 (MedHelp.org - Dr. E.W.Hook), to 1/1538 (thebody.com - Dr. Bob), that is if your partner is hiv+. In other words, this is a high risk exposure. I decided to stop having sex with my regluar partner, whom I had cheated on (another option is to carefully use condoms all the time) and go by guidelines for testing. Here in my country the guideline is to get a test 6 weeks after exposure and a conclusive at 12 weeks past exposure. The waiting is terrible and right now I'm awaiting my 4 months results. I did 2 tests at 7,5 weeks and 8,1 weeks past exposure and then just did another test June 25th (120 days = 4 months) past exposure. I will get the results after the weekend. I can hardly sleep and certainly I don't function well. I've had almost all symptoms, including the most scary, a rash. I wrote a bit further down in this forum and there in one answer you can find a link that is quite calming to read about the accuracy of early tests. So far this has been the scare of my life, and I've had a few of them already. In the meantime, take care of yourself and trust God.

--------------------
IcyMan

ravi
Legend

Reged: 11/19/05
Loc: Adelaide, Australia
      #240271 - 06/28/08 10:01 AM

Abcd,

It would have been much easier, if you would have described what form of insertive act was it? anyway, if it was sexual intercourse, you did place yourself at risk and it does warrant testing for HIV/STD's. If it were oral sex, then, Yes, you can cross out HIV and perhaps test for STD's.

A test at 6 weeks should give you a good indication. Use condoms in future.

Good luck

--------------------
Take Care

God Bless you

Stay Well

Love Ravi

Jackie__Blue
Legend

Reged: 01/20/07
      #240276 - 06/28/08 12:45 PM

Quote:

In other words, this is a high risk exposure.

To put things in perspective:

The Center for Disease Control places the risk of transmission from insertive anal sex with a positive partner at 6.5 for every 10,000 exposures. 30 seconds is NOT a great deal of time for exposure but some anal tearing could occur, so yes, there is certainly risk. But not HIGH risk, especially when you compare other categories such as receptive anal(50), needle sharing (67) or blood transfusions (9,000).

Icyman is correct that if you have had any type of risk, high or low, then condoms should be used until you have a conclusive result.

Icyman if you had a negative at 8 weeks, then you've really spent the rest of your time worrying for nothing.

hvensnt

Reged: 07/08/08
      #240552 - 07/08/08 09:50 PM

Your risk is low. It mostly depends on if there were any open lesions on the penis or the anus, etc. Since the other person knew he was HIV positive it also depends on his viral load. If he is on treatment and his viral load is undetectable the risk of transmission is even lower.

The best advice to alleviate your stress and worry is to visit your physician or if possible a local HIV screening facility. A family physician may not be as familiar with all of the available tests. Someone who is more familiar is a better option but HIV clinics usually only see patients after their diagnosis. The initial screening test is an ELISA test that only tests for antibodies, which is why it can take a while to be positive. Virus may be present, but if your body may not be making antibodies against it yet. A western blot is something used to actually detect the virus as a confirmatory test after a positive screening test. It may also be possible to test a viral load (that measures the amount of virus in the blood) which should be "detectable" much sooner after detection.

I hope all works out. Please be careful next time. As someone told me not too long ago, "HIV doesn't have a face."

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
2 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4767

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3