Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
moratorium

Reged: 06/26/08
Worried to death
      #240191 - 06/26/08 11:51 AM

Hi everyone,

Alright so I did something really stupid that I regret. I had insertive anal intercourse (I was the top) and am scared to death I might have HIV. The guy said that he is negative, but after reading about ARS I am paranoid that I had that. It's around the 3 month mark and i'm going in for testing, I just wanted to know if anyone noticed these symptoms through ARS (and whether or not I can stop panicing for now!).

I was fine health wise for the first 5.5 weeks, and around 5.5 weeks I started getting a sore throat (down where the collar bone is). So I went to bed that night and had a high fever develop, and had chills, body aches, etc. I think I might have had swollen lymph nodes as well. I still was feverish throughout the next couple days (off and on, fever would break with a sweat then I'd get chills). I also had congestion for one day really bad, and had to keep coughing (some upper respiratory trouble). Then I developed laryngitis (probably because my throat was so sore? and I sounded terrible which lasted a couple days). I think the entire sickness lasted roughly 5 days and then I was all better.

Do you think this is a classic case of ARS? Ever since the unprotected sex I've been a worried mess checking myself for any abnormality I might have! I go in for testing tomorrow, wish me luck!

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bios23
Expert

Reged: 04/27/08
Re: Worried to death new
      #240207 - 06/26/08 07:37 PM

"I also had congestion for one day really bad, and had to keep coughing (some upper respiratory trouble)"
<-- congestion is not a sign of ARS

I'm sorry that for the moment i can't give you a link to articles in this
very website or some other from the specialized websites.
"Respiratory things like runny nose, sinus infection, coughing, sneezing, etc. are not generally considered symptoms of this syndrome."
http://beatnikboy.tripod.com/ars.htm
But i KNOW i read this as well around this site.

Anyways. Good luck buddy. Do come and tell us your results!! *crossing fingers and toes*

ravi
Legend

Reged: 11/19/05
Loc: Adelaide, Australia
Re: Worried to death new
      #240216 - 06/26/08 08:39 PM

Hi,

Symptoms should never be used as a tool to diagnose your status. You did place yourself at risk for HIV/STD's, although the risk is low in comparison to receptive anal sex, which is at the highest risk. Besides you were the insertive partner, so that helps in reducing the risk as well. I would encourage you to get tested for HIV( which you already are) and other potential STD's.

ARS symptoms always occur 2-4 weeks post exposure. 5.5 weeks would not be an ideal time for one to experience ARS. However, as i said earlier, a test will answer your question and not symptoms.

use condoms in future.

good luck

--------------------
Take Care

God Bless you

Stay Well

Love Ravi

Edited by ravi (06/26/08 08:41 PM)

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2413

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3