Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
anonymouslad

Reged: 11/22/04
duration of symptoms?
      #238757 - 04/24/08 01:41 PM

What is the rough duration that symptoms will last after someone is infected with HIV? I think I read somewhere else that they only last around a week. So if someone is getting symptoms which are lasting 2, 3+ weeks is it safe to assume that these are not symptoms of HIV infection?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Robertguy
Regular

Reged: 03/09/08
Re: duration of symptoms? new
      #238762 - 04/24/08 03:26 PM

Hi, anony
I think the symptoms doesnt take that long too. All the text says they disapear after two weeks. Why you ask? Still feeling something? I'm 9 weeks from my exposure and I still fell dry mouth, white tongue, super dry skin, headache, stomach pain, fatigue and my left leg is almost paralized. I'm praying to be only emotional (?!)
I'm super scared (I'm only 30), even with those releafing infos from Esmeralda, but I have to wait more 3 weeks.
When you're gonna do the test again???
But try to be cool and take care, man.

anonymouslad

Reged: 11/22/04
      #238777 - 04/25/08 01:58 AM

I found that posting in another forum again from an HIV advisor(who must know what they're talking about) that symptoms only last between 3-7 days. Yet I saw some postings on here last night that symptoms can last 10-14 days.

Yes my symptons are still going on.

Body pains - allmost a month now. Though going by what I've read I'm fast ruling this out as a sympton of HIV.

Tingling and burning feelings in my feet. Allmost 2 weeks now.

Sore throat. About 10 days now.

Groin pain. Also about 10 days now.

Despite the astronomical chances in my favour that I haven't got HIV through oral and that these symptoms are lasting long than is experted for ARS(HIV infection), I am still a worried man. To be honest I'm not just worried that I've got HIV, I'm worried I could have some other disease as well such as testicular cancer, multilple sclerorisis or something. I am going to the doctors next week.

To me it sounds like your long lasting symptons can not be related to HIV infection. According to the experts 9 weeks is way way way post the duration ARS symptoms last. Good luck. I'm sure that you will test negative.

Robertguy
Regular

#238782 - 04/25/08 12:59 PM

Dear anonymouslad, thank you answer
All my friends says that Im' too paranoic, but if would these symptoms disapear, I could feel more calm too
I was worried 'cause I read somewhere if the symptoms are super strong at the beginning could go straight to AIDS. I don't know, we should stop reading and wait. Considering the leg, I thought about multilple sclerorisis too with me
I hope to talk to you in few weeks and laugh about all of it
Have a nice weekend

aprhys

Reged: 04/29/08
      #238861 - 04/29/08 04:11 PM

hey robertguy, i know all too well what you am going through. My "ars" symptoms began the end of january with a cough, then a week later i had one day's worth of fever and sore throat and then a week after that i developed tonsilitis. With antibiotics the tonsilitis went on the 1st of March. I still felt tired and run down well into two weeks ago - then i started perking up, i started looking at things logically and i became less depressed. Now I havent heard that a burning feeling in the feet is a sign of ars but worries me becuase I've had it lol BUT like you I did think the same that it might have been MS - then again it could be the socks we wear....we aint the experts.

Now this is putting some kind of context into what i am thinking now. I had protected anal sex before christmas and unprotected vaginal sex the beginning of february. The thought of HIV had NEVER crossed my mind at this point, even immediately after my "ars" symptoms - it was only by doing what i think most of us are guilty of doing on this board was to look up the symptoms....bad mistake....after I did this all hell broke loose. I got depressed, i was still feeling tired and run down, i was crying, i even got sent home from work at one point, I got a cold sore, i was looking for thrush both oral and genital (never found the bugger), my chest felt flemmy and i had another cough develop and worst of all in my head I was planning my funeral.

So I got tested on the 17th of March- I told the girl who i had sex with on the advice of the GUM clininc - she got tested too. The two week's wait was excrutiating and of course the symptoms appeared again, my armpits were aching, i discovered little insect-bite like spots on certain parts of my body - they may have been there for years but with my luck it had to be now that I discovered them (they are in fact angiomas and quite common). My mouth was dry and they did actually find a (non sexual) uti at the initial appointment so the medication for that had some nasty side effects too. For those two weeks I knew who was going to carry my coffin, who was goign to get what money - I felt like death was tapping me on my shoulder - it was not a pleasent experience at all, I resigned myself to acting with calm to a positive result but of course my mind was playing tricks on me because I could have sworn the Doctor said I was negative...he said the 3 months window was not fully covered so I have to go again - although I was exceptionally relieved I knew that I would have to go through it again. BTW she tested negative too. My silly head then began to rear its ugly mug and said hang on - what if the pre christmas guy had done something to the condom, perhaps he was a venegful hiv-er, perhaps the condom didnt work - every single nasty possibility was going through my head and it is/wasn't difficult to shrug off. I still have symptoms now, I get an occasional hot flush (flash) - coincidentally and interestingly whenever im looking up anythign to do with HIV (including now), I have aches and pains, my armpits ache, and I have ear ache. It is a battle but here's what my "Sensible" head is telling me now.

1) I have history of tonsillitis
2) I work in a post office, people handing me money every day with their hands covered in bugs and no doubt other unspeakable muck - it's naive to think I wont catch some kind of seasonal bug - even glandular fever.
3) I am not a good sleeper
4) The girl was negative and the bloke although not been recently tested insists he is always careful
5) The girl reminded me I had the cough before we had sex meaning that if I caught it off the bloke my test is 10 week negative post exposure (17 days after the end of the last of these damn "ars" symptoms).
6) In my adult life I have convinced myself I have had Meningitis, brain tumours (twice), diabetes, MS (and Im thinking this now) I do know and recognise I am a hypocondriac
7) I went to the doctors after I got the result to see what it could be and he said that I may have had Glandular Fever (Mono) and the symptoms (fatigue, aches and depression) can last for months.
8)My teeth are hurting, my neck is tense and my ears have been aching (nothing painful just a dull throb every now and then and after 4 weeks has not developed into anything more serious like an infection nor actually is painful), and my jaw sometimes aches in the morning. I am reliably informed from a oral health practioner friend that these are classic symptoms of bruxism (teeth grinding) the main cause of which is STRESS!

In all Ive concluded that the body is a powerful force and can sometimes play horrible tricks upon its soul. Aches, pains, colds, sores, depressed feelings etc can be caused simply by thinking the worst or of those said symptoms. It can be a never ending spiral if you let it. I am almost conivnced I am a worried well - I have to go for my three months test tomorrow and I will go 99% of me hoping - no...KNOWING - that I am fine. The other 1% well that is my silly head but Im learning to ignore him. If I was to give one piece of advice to anyone - like you Robertguy - I would take yours blow up it in big letters the size of Hollywood's, with neon flashy lights, and big arrows pointing to it and say STOP READING! If you were to do a search and look up any symptom and hiv I could guarantee that there is going to be a link to it (although I challenge anyone to come up with a link for hiv causing an ingrowing toe nail) and once that link pops up even if you dont read it the damage has been done - your "silly" head has all the amunition it needs. I hope this has helped some people calm their worries, it may have been a bit of a ramble but I actually feel it's been quite theraputic to put down how im feeling - I hope it helps you too :O)

Edited by aprhys (04/29/08 04:52 PM)

aprhys

#238862 - 04/29/08 04:20 PM

erm have just realised that by me writing down the phrase "hiv causing an ingrowing toe nail" will actually mean someone would be able to search it and that comment turn up...

Robertguy
Regular

#238865 - 04/29/08 06:06 PM

Aprhys, thnak you so much for the support, indeed
Took me a long time to read it, but I felt it almost everything you did and think , quite often, about my funeral too.
But I'm close to know (only two weeks to 3 months test) the truth, so I'm gonna find out. Actually I went to muscle doc and did some test and they realize that my left leg muscle is, strangely, getting weaker.
Please, let me know about your test, I'm curious.
Good luck and take care

aprhys

#238911 - 04/30/08 02:37 PM

Well I took the test today and they said they'll text me in two weeks. Im not sure whether this is better than being told face to face :OS

I keep reading off fairly reliable sources that ars is a sign that seroconversion is beginning. Now mine if they were "ars" they came in several stages the symptoms progressed over several weeks (which many guides say does not usually happen) and lasted somewhat more than the average length (they lasted a month and a couple of days). I like to take heart in this because becuase my first negative test was more than two weeks after the last of the symptoms ended. But hey we know damn well we got to leave it to the experts and stop analysing every ache and pimple so whatever happens in two weeks happens it's in the throw of the Gods - and believe me + or - ill be having a nice cold beer at the end of the day.

aprhys

#239286 - 05/14/08 12:01 PM

Well I've had my results.....am im negative :O) For me the roller coaster is over - im not worried about getting a 6month or a 1 year test like some people seem to think they need to get. I am not infected. There is soo much relief running through me now - I was biking through our local country park listening to the radio on my phone when the result came through. I have cycled about 30k this afternoon - around lakes and up and down canals waiting for their text. Time stood still when my phone beeped but when it read "your results are fine please keep any other appointment" I actually broke down, this is something that has never happened to me before. My heart goes out to anyone who has been through the same and then find out that they're positive - I cannot bear to imagine the feeling. Im going to arrange a payroll giving pledge that some of my pay cheque goes to the Terrence Higgins Trust here in the UK every month to help support people in similar situations. Robertguy hope you're results are fine too please let me know.

May your God bless.

Robertguy
Regular

#239328 - 05/15/08 08:21 PM

Aprhys. I'm so happy for you, man. I felt so relied aswell, seeing that someone feeling that much as I did and got clean/safe.
I still feeling some stuff (fatigue, headache and stomach pain) but I think it's only emotional.
I was watching some videos of Rosin Murphy this afternoon and remember how happy I was when she released this last album. I wanna listening to it in the same way again.
Celebrate life, aprhys, NOW. Where do you live in England? I knew London, it's an amazing place....

aprhys

#239336 - 05/16/08 03:32 AM

I live in the midlands, not far from Birmingham and the Black Country. I think that your symptoms at this stage have nothing at all to do with HIV - you'll be amazed how the symptoms you describe suddenly disappear when you get the result - you'll be fine I'm sure of it :O)

worrying0072

Reged: 08/21/08
      #243720 - 01/04/09 11:08 AM

i read that ARS are usually mild such that it doesnt warrant a visit to the doctor.

so if u are having like really severe case of most of the symptoms...i think it is quite unlikely to be hiv infection.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
2 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8335

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3