Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
guy23

Reged: 04/07/08
question about testing and results
      #238325 - 04/07/08 06:56 PM

i've had a recent situation that has put me at risk for possible infection. my concern is the test results. when i was younger and first received information on HIV and AIDS i was told that the virus COULD be detected shortly after infection but that to be totally sure the test would have to be repeated after 6 months. this was well over a decade ago. so i don't know if things have changed since then. i know that there are tests for HIV using saliva and that some tests can be done where the results can be found in 20 minutes.

but does the 6 month rule still apply? even if i get tested and am negative do i still have to wait 6 months before being totally sure that i am negative? either way i'm going to be tested i just want to know how much i should invest in the test results. thank you in advance for any and all help i truly appreciate it

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jackie__Blue
Legend

Reged: 01/20/07
Re: question about testing and results new
      #238326 - 04/07/08 07:11 PM

The overwhelming majority of people that are infected will test positive by 6 weeks. 3 months is considered conclusive.

ravi
Legend

Reged: 11/19/05
Loc: Adelaide, Australia
Re: question about testing and results new
      #238386 - 04/10/08 06:52 AM

Hey,

The 6 month testing guideline has vanished in thin air. Current guidelines, and advanced tests have lowered the 'window period' by considerable amount. A test done at 12 weeks post exposure is considered definitive. Some experts comply with the 6 week guideline.

To sum up, a negative test at 6 weeks and thereon, should give a clear indication regarding your status!

Good luck

--------------------
Take Care

God Bless you

Stay Well

Love Ravi

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1974

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3