Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
hopefulindy

Reged: 02/17/08
Hepatitis C
      #238108 - 03/29/08 01:38 AM

I tested HIV- at 3.5 months post possible exposure. I have on going health issues and no answers. I am waiting on blood work to see if I have been exposed to Hep C. If someone is infected with Hep c and HIV at the same time would that slow the production of HIV antibodies? That is what I am being told by my health care provider but he doesn't seem to know his ass from a whole in the ground at this point. I am really struggling here because I posted a question in the ask the experts "am i infected" forum explaining my whole situation to the best of my current knowledge, which includes nothing about Hep c or fear of and Dr Bob says my results are conclusive. Awesome Right? My own doc is telling me not so fast. He says that I need six months. Reason being the on going symptoms that have been treated and not going away and he says that if infected with both Hep C and HIV at the same time this would delay production of antibodies. So is this correct or do I seriously need to find a new doctor that can treat a yeast infection that has been going on for 2.5 months now and is making me absolutely crazy. By the way I know that Hep C is only rarely sexually transmitted but a person is more likely to spread it if HIV+.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Franek

Reged: 01/31/08
Loc: UnitedKingdom (North)
Re: Hepatitis C new
      #238298 - 04/06/08 12:04 PM

I spoke with a Consutant Virologist who almost laughed at the suggestion of Hep C delaying HIV Ab production.
The official window period (in the UK) for Hep C Ab tests is 6 months. I've read somewhere that HIV may theoretically delay Hep C Abs not the other way round.

My guess is that the CDC, UK BASHH and Health Protection Agency try to be inclusive in their guidelines and have taken into account co-infections and the vast majority of health conditions when determining the window periods. They have populations and blood supplies to protect and I'm certain they don't take thor public responsibilities lightly.
You think many people testing for HIV are stressed or anxious and they took anxiety and depression into the equation? ;-)
My irrational fears tell me otherwise of course.

Dr Bob is medically conservative and I'm sure in his risk assessment he included co-infection..

Sexually transmitted HCV is the minority path and when it is transmitted that way it is most often by partners of injecting drug users. There usually has to be blood involved. There is a large NHS information campaign on just now which will give you the low down on Hep C I'm sure you could google 'NHS Hepatitis'

Yeast infections can go on for a long time, particularly if you are having antibiotic treatment then this may have a bearing on the duration of symptoms. Fesheners, douches can activate yeast infections.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
2 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2752

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3