Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

seroconversion: 25 days average?
      #23765 - 10/24/01 07:00 PM

I've read that the average time for seroconversion is 25 days after infection. If you recall from school, to get an average you add up all the scores and then divide by the number of scores. Well we know that there are some people who take longer than 25 days to test positive, because testing is not even considered accurate until at least 3 months, or preferably 6 months after infection. So how can the average be 25 days? Well in order for the math to come out equal to 25, some people must seroconvert earlier than 25 days to offset the people who seroconvert later than 25 days. Like if one person seroconverts at 50 days, there would have to be something like 25 other people who seroconvert at 24 days to offset the later seroconverter and keep the average at 25 days. I forgot what my point was, but its amazing that different people respond so differently to this virus.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: seroconversion: 25 days average? new
      #23767 - 10/24/01 07:08 PM

average now is 21 days with newer 3rd generation elisa.

Dr Joel has said this over and over again 50% of people are going to seroconvert around 21 days and the rest somewhat longer.

3 months 99.7% will have a positive serology

Rare cases people don't show antibodies until 6 months

That is why CDC says test 1-3-6 months after a KNOWN EXPOSURE with Hiv.

CDC has revised guidlines for HIV testing coming out this November they will probably say 3 months coclusive since the 1-3-6 testing was with the older tests.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#23768 - 10/24/01 07:13 PM

another wierd thing is that ARS supposedly happens sometime around 3-6 weeks and seroconversion comes AFTER the ARS, so everyone who has ARS 4 weeks or later is seroconverting later than the 25 day average. there must be lots of people seroconverting at 24 days or earlier?

Anonymous
Unregistered

#23770 - 10/24/01 07:18 PM

I am pretty sure the ARS comes 2-4 weeks after.
Dr. Mark says there is a definite tie between ARS and the formation of the antibodies since the antibodies start to form within a few days of infection and may take a few weeks to show up on a test.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#23772 - 10/24/01 07:52 PM

"at three months 99.7% will have positive serology" so that means about 3 people out of every 1000 get a false negative at 3 months and then become positive by 6 months. That must be terrible to think you're in the clear and then find out your not. I'm never having unprotected sex again as long as I live!!!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#23780 - 10/24/01 10:41 PM

those 3 people maybe on PEP or chemo therapy there are explanations for the late seroconverters.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#23791 - 10/25/01 09:05 AM

I completely agree. Seronconversion appear between 2 and 4 weeks after infection and does not need to wait till the end of ARS to show up positive.

Xander
All Star

Reged: 10/01/01
      #23794 - 10/25/01 11:48 AM

Of course, this would not be 3 people out of every 1000 taking an antibody test getting a false negative at three months; it would be 3 people out every 1000 who were actually infected, a much smaller number.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5626

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3