Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
hopefulindy

Reged: 02/17/08
yeast infection or something
      #236860 - 02/22/08 03:47 PM

hello everyone,
I was recently treated for an std with tetracycline and acquired a yeast infection. I just tested hiv- about 12 weeks post possible exposure. Trouble is this yeast infection seems to be hanging around even though it has been treated 2x with prescription and once otc. The symptoms have lessened tremendously but still some vaginal discomfort. I know persistent yeast infection can be a symptom of hiv. Could it be so persistent because of the type of antibiotic.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jackie__Blue
Legend

Reged: 01/20/07
Re: yeast infection or something new
      #236861 - 02/22/08 04:08 PM

Congrats on the fact you have a conclusive negative result for HIV.

Continue to work with your doctor about your yeast infection. With the strains of antiboitic resistant bacteria appearing, yeast infections sometimes are not easy to clear up.

hopefulindy

#236862 - 02/22/08 04:42 PM

Thank you for your supportive and kind words! I still do wonder how conclusive my results maybe with this ongoing yeast infection.

Jackie__Blue
Legend

#236866 - 02/22/08 05:31 PM

Quote:

I still do wonder how conclusive my results maybe with this ongoing yeast infection.

You may wonder all you like, but the fact is that a 12 week test is conclusive. Yeast infections wouldn't have a thing to do with how the immune system would handle a virus. Look at it this way.

What you are thinking of is the warning on labels that if you have recurrent yeast infections you should test for HIV because it MAY be an indication of undiagnosis HIV infection.

First off, this occurs in women who have an untreated HIV infection for a few years and the virus is having an effect on the immune system. 12 weeks would not fall in the criteria.

Second. You have tested and you are HIV negative. Whether you choose to believe your results and get on with your life is your decision. But no amount of posting and 'what if's' will change the fact you don't have HIV.

hopefulindy

#236867 - 02/22/08 06:38 PM

You are right. I guess my fear is because the 12 weeks is an approximate guess. I know that the possible exposure is between 11-12 weeks prior to my hiv test. So I will follow up with another test but you are right about going with my life and I get that I should not let this consume me. Thanks again.

Jackie__Blue
Legend

#236880 - 02/23/08 06:27 AM

The majority of people test postive by 6 weeks. You really do have a conclusive result...11 or 12 week. You don't need to test again, but I have a feeling you're going to continue to find reasons not to believe your test results. I hope you really do believe the next test result. Beware. You don't want to become like those that have to keep testing......seems it's very easy to fall into that trap.

hopefulindy

#236885 - 02/23/08 03:16 PM

I won't do it. My next test I will be satisfied with the results and consider conclusive. I have just recently read on three different websites that a persistent yeast infection and especially one that does not go away at all when treated can be one of the earliest symptoms after being infected. But I have turned to natural remedies for this. So hopefully this will clear up . I appreciate you continuing to communicate with me.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4117

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3