Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
readthis

Reged: 02/12/08
what does this mean ???
      #236510 - 02/12/08 06:08 AM

United Kingdom: Missed Opportunities for Diagnosing Primary HIV Infection

February 11, 2008

The researchers undertook the current study to determine the extent to which primary HIV infection (PHI) presents to health care providers and the degree to which it is undiagnosed.

Using the criteria of an evolving antibody response, a negative HIV test within 18 months, or a serological testing algorithm for recent HIV seroconversion, persons diagnosed with recent HIV infection between 2003 and 2005 were identified. Using HIV clinic notes and laboratory records (all HIV tests were performed in the same lab), the authors ascertained symptoms of PHI and previous presentation to other providers.

Of 108 subjects identified, 95 percent (n=103) were male, and 86 percent (n=93) were men who have sex with men. Seventy-six (70 percent) reported symptoms of seroconversion, of whom 40 (53 percent) were symptomatic at the time of the health care visit. Twenty-one (52 percent) of these patients were diagnosed with PHI at first presentation. In 19 patients (48 percent), a PHI diagnosis was not made at first presentation. Of these, 15 were seen in primary care settings, three in accident/emergency settings, and one in a genitourinary medicine (GUM) setting.

A PHI diagnosis "is often missed," the authors concluded. "Individuals in high-risk groups need to be informed to access health care when they experience symptoms of seroconversion. Non-HIV/GUM health care providers (especially primary care) may benefit from training in case recognition to improve rates of diagnosis

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jackie__Blue
Legend

Reged: 01/20/07
Re: what does this mean ??? new
      #236516 - 02/12/08 11:17 AM

What part don't you understand? It's just says that doctors should think to test for HIV more often when a patient shows up not feeling well and the symptoms might be attributed to HIV seroconversion. Especially if the patient is in a high risk group.

readthis

#236519 - 02/12/08 01:54 PM

I did understand how long do you have to keep on tesing from high rish exposer.

Jackie__Blue
Legend

#236521 - 02/12/08 02:17 PM

The answer is 3 months, but I fail to see what that has to do with the article which is what you asked about.

readthis

#236522 - 02/12/08 03:12 PM

when I seen something about 18 momtns

Jackie__Blue
Legend

#236530 - 02/12/08 06:16 PM

That 18 months in the study has to do with a baseline negative which was part of the criteria. You also didn't bother to post the first part of this abstract which explained the purpose of this study. I wonder why that was? Here it is to refresh your memory.

Objective: To investigate the extent to which primary HIV infection (PHI) presents to healthcare providers and the degree to which it is unrecognised.

http://sti.bmj.com/cgi/content/abstract/84/1/14

I now realize you are just fishing for a reason to worry about your test results. You don't want to accept the fact that 3 months is definitive.

Do it on your own time.

Leonardo
Guru

Reged: 08/07/07
Loc: New Jersey
      #236531 - 02/12/08 06:16 PM

Esmerelda,

Look at the flaws in his writing. It's nomoreworry4me again.

Sad.

Leo

whocanfigure
Guru

Reged: 09/01/07
      #236545 - 02/13/08 01:16 AM

Esmeralda..its the site troll again...the nomoreworry guy, the guy who makes up all the names, the guy with OCD....the idiot with no life. Don't waste your breath.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3326

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3