Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
julio5000

Reged: 01/08/08
HELP!!!! PCR RNA test is it accurate???
      #235033 - 01/08/08 10:23 PM

Hi I'm freaking out since I had protected sex with a hooker last sunday ... during the hole thing we used protection (condom) ... oral and vaginal sex. But we deep kissed 2 or 3 times and I found out that I had a little wound in my mouth because I hurt myself when brushing my teeth early in the day (before my encounteer). I just tooked a PCR RNA test after 48 hours but I don't know if it's accurate or I'll have to wait for the hole tamale (13 weeks) to found out.

Thanks!!!
Hope everything will turn OK.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MiamiLat
Guardian

Reged: 12/30/05
Loc: Miami, FL
Re: HELP!!!! PCR RNA test is it accurate??? new
      #235043 - 01/09/08 04:32 AM

PCR testing is not recommended due to the rate of false positives and 2 days is way too soon anyway. But let's back up first, you did NOT have a risk to begin with. You had protected sex and deep kissing is not considered a risk even with your little wound from brushing earlier that day. Since you are obviously distraught about the situation, you may take an antibody test at 6 wks and then at the end of the window period (12/ 13 wks) but there is no need other than to calm your fears.

--------------------
"Education, prevention, awareness, research, and support"

julio5000

Reged: 01/08/08
      #235065 - 01/09/08 08:54 PM

MiamiLat thank you for replying my post,

Maybe I didn't make myself clear ... when I said "deep kissing" I ment "french kissing" or "open mouth kissing" as the CDC call it. In fact the CDC qualify the open mouth kisses as low risk behavor ... but never the less they do not recomend this practice.

Anyhow ... I understood by reading the forums within thebody.com that with a PCR test we could have a greater chances of detecting the HIV virus on it's very early stages. Maybe I got lost reading all the info. posted in "ask the experts" section. If I'm wrong could you please explain me how does it work then?

Thanks a lot
J.

MiamiLat
Guardian

Reged: 12/30/05
Loc: Miami, FL
      #235070 - 01/10/08 06:15 AM

Deep kissing, open mouth kissing, or french kissing, whatever you want to term it, is not a risk for HIV. (Refer to table 1 in the following document for exposure routes and odds of infection, you will notice kissing isn't even on the chart!: http://www.aegis.org/pubs/mmwr/2005/RR5402-1.html)
Whatever previous information you read on kissing being a risky behavior is either outdated, or could be referring to a theoretical risk where both mouths have deep bleeding fresh cuts resulting in adequate amount of blood to blood contact.
As for PCR testing, it is not recommended as a diagnostic tool. Even if the PCR test showed an elevated viral load, you would still be required to take an antibody test followed by the western blot if positive. There is just no way around it.
Let me restate, you had NO risk to begin with! Antibody testing is only required in your case to calm your fears...

--------------------
"Education, prevention, awareness, research, and support"

nomoreworry4me
Master

Reged: 12/24/07
      #235101 - 01/10/08 04:46 PM

wow I taken this test all the way out to 20 months negative along with elisa and i'm not going to test nomore I ask my dr she said no i'm well pass the window period . plus the health dept at 3 months told me i'm good to go can gave blood and all my testing with them are negative also. had to stop cause raped

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5699

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3