Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Freaked_Ben

Reged: 11/20/07
Symptoms - Night Sweats
      #233821 - 11/21/07 12:56 PM

Are the sweats limited only to the nighttime? Can they be profuse sweating during the day?

Let me cover everything that is going on.

Had unprotected oral and protected vaginal intercourse on Sunday the 11th. Then on Saturday the 17th, had a sharp pain on my right should area, basically making it impossible for me to use my arm without serious pain being involved. This is only on the right should and down the front and back a little bit, maybe 4 inches, does not go to the left side.

Went to Dr on the next Monday (8 days) and they took my temp and it was a little over 100. They gave me some meds to releive the should pain (muscle relaxant and pain killers) which don't seem to help much. Went to my main doctor the next day (Tuesday - 9 days after) and my temperature was 98.6 so very normal. I did have a rash on my right side of my body, pretty much where the pain was on front and back. The area where this rash was was sensitive to the touch, a little painful and very warm to the touch.

I have not really had a sore through, but have been very tired, mainly due to the pain meds I think.

Do these symptoms sound like ARS to anyone?
I will test in 3 weeks. But just want some opinions.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
vokz
Grand Master

Reged: 09/06/07
Loc: London, UK
Re: Symptoms - Night Sweats new
      #233822 - 11/21/07 01:08 PM

Ben,

Your symptoms are non-specific and could have any number of causes. No one is going to tell you that they sound like (or don’t sound like) ARS.

From what you said happened, it is highly unlikely that you have been exposed to any real risk of infection with HIV .. but that doesn’t mean that you couldn’t have acquired any number of other infections (and not necessarily from your sexual encounter).

Testing is the only way to find out. Don’t get sucked into the game of trying to diagnose from symptoms.

Freaked_Ben

#233824 - 11/21/07 02:20 PM

Thanks for the reply vokz,
I am really wondering if I can be sweating profusely when awake, and why they call it night sweats

also,

Wouldn't one expect the muscle pain to be all over the upper body, not just centered in one area?

I will get tested, just looking for information. It is still too early to test

vokz
Grand Master

#233826 - 11/21/07 02:47 PM

Well if you are sweating during the day, then it isn’t night sweats. There are three obvious candidates for generalised sweating that starts suddenly::

1 – stress / anxiety
2 – medicines taken to reduce fever and / or inflammation
3 – fever

.. so if your temperature is now normal, then stress or medications would be the first things to look at.

The other thing to consider is that sweating is one of the processes by which your body regulates its temperature; so, even if your temperature is fairly normal, you could still have a mild fever that your body is working hard to control. In that sense it is no different to how you can feel a little clammy when you have a bit of a cold.

Ordinarily you probably wouldn’t think anything of it, but because of the sexual contact your mind starts working overtime.

As for the muscle pain .. yes, if it was ARS you would expect it to be a more generalised flu like soreness.

Freaked_Ben

#233827 - 11/21/07 02:52 PM

Thanks vokz,
From the reading I have done, it sounds like receptive oral sex is a very low risk of transmission, and since I had protection for any vaginal intercourse, then I should be looking at something else, like you said, medicine. I appreciate your quick response, and it has made me feel much better.

My temperature appears to be completely fine.

vokz
Grand Master

#233831 - 11/21/07 03:11 PM

Well yes, if the oral sex was performed on you, then HIV just isn’t really a serious candidate (but still get checked out, because you could have some other sexually transmitted infection).

You sound like you are being quite rational, so stress wouldn't be my first thought.

Check your medicines for either aspirin or acetaminophen. I think they would be my prime suspects.

Freaked_Ben

#233854 - 11/22/07 03:08 AM

I don't think I am being super rational. Yes, the only unprotected events were kissing and oral sex performed on me, but of course, I imagine the condom having broke or the person not putting the condom on correct onto me, or even using a non-latex condom.

My main symptom is the severe musclke pain only on my right shoulder which radiates down the front and back on the right about 5 inches on both sides. My left side has no pain at all.

I did have some fever, but it would come and go off and on. 101.9 was the high point, but that lasted no more than an hour and was back to 98.6.

The rash was only in the same area as the muscle pain and was red, felt warm to the touch and kind of painful.

I have had all the blood work and urine taken to run all the tests so should know about that stuff on Friday. If that is all clear, I will lighten up more and really begin looking at maybe I caught a skin virus or something,

It definitely helps to read about everything and have people here I can throw out my thoughts for them to challenge or even agree with, keeps my mind off of the alternative.

vokz
Grand Master

#233858 - 11/22/07 05:35 AM

The nature of condoms is such that, if they break, they disintegrate .. so forget that sort of crap, because it just fucks with your head.

If it came off looking intact, then it did its job.

Freaked_Ben

#233866 - 11/22/07 11:30 AM

Well,
That is where the paranoia comes in. But, the good sign (as I see it) is it would be VERY rare for ARS to start this early, so chances are high it is something else.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5994

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3