Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
chrisbadmushroom
Guardian

Reged: 05/24/07
22 months update
      #233119 - 10/29/07 03:56 PM

ok not PCP but other problems and maybe some kind of Pneumonia also they are very concerned about the oral thrush I think they are going to send me for some more hiv testing some kind of complete hiv panel or something like that I really do not like the way things are going right now they do not seem concerned with finding any other explanations and I will be honest that scares the sh@t out of me why such a focus on hiv these are the professional immunologists I do not like where this is going very concerned for wife and kids. Do what you want to me but leave my family out of it dam dam f##k sorry I do not need this CR@P why wont they look at other thing I really hate the medical community

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Nitram2
Fanatic

Reged: 02/16/07
Re: 22 months update new
      #233121 - 10/29/07 06:23 PM

dude... I still having thrush with a 5 month neg with 4th gen eliza. I had several *real* symptoms after one month from the risky situation, but I have negs @ 1, 3 and 5 month mark (everyone says that 5 months is more than reliable).

Sometimes (specially due to my girlfriend's suspicious symptoms) I start to think about hiv... but I try to think in all my negs (you should do this)

Here, my tongue in Feb07 (nowadays is a little healthier).

http://aycu05.webshots.com/image/9004/2003647505915359545_rs.jpg

http://aycu37.webshots.com/image/8916/2003694491470601416_rs.jpg

Sorry my english!
get welll!
Nitram

I hope you get better...

*edit: some spelling

chrisbadmushroom
Guardian

#233122 - 10/29/07 06:45 PM

hey brother i saw your pics and your tongue looks fine it does not have thrush unless i am missing something i think you should have a swab done but it really does not look like thrush to me

shadesofgrey
Legend

Reged: 12/02/05
      #233126 - 10/29/07 08:12 PM

sorrry chris you are wrong, it looks like erymatous candidiasis otherwise known as acute atropic candidiasis. its more prevalent than the creamy white stuff and underdiagnosed too, i have the same thing. get your dentist to prescribe peridex to you.

Nitram2
Fanatic

Reged: 02/16/07
      #233127 - 10/29/07 08:29 PM

hey.. it has appeared after 3 months after the exposure, do you think that I should re-test even with my 5th month neg?
I mean, you think that it could be an hiv symptom?

please, be sincere...
regards!

Sprite1
All Star

Reged: 08/23/07
      #233128 - 10/29/07 08:55 PM

People who get infected with HIV may get oral thrush too - but oral thrush is an illness in itself, not necessarily a symptom of anything else, HIV or not. It's like saying if you throw up in the morning you must be pregnant.

chrisbadmushroom
Guardian

#233129 - 10/29/07 09:14 PM

if that is thrush then man i am the thrush factory mine is way way worse then that i would trade in a minute

vokz
Grand Master

Reged: 09/06/07
Loc: London, UK
      #233142 - 10/30/07 05:55 AM

Chris,

Do you not think that there is an element of them focussing on HIV in order to help you put your unhealthy obsession with HIV behind you?

If they ignored the possibility of it being HIV, you would be here complaining just as loudly about that too.

It sounds to me like they are taking a perfectly logical and methodical approach.

chrisbadmushroom
Guardian

#233151 - 10/30/07 10:00 AM

ok voks i get your point but we are talking 22 months of negative hiv tests 9 elisa 2 viral loads and a nat test at what point do the Dr's say enough and start looking at other causes or is all the crap about the 3month window period just a bunch of crap that does not always apply

shadesofgrey
Legend

#233153 - 10/30/07 10:03 AM

no but i am hardly the person to ask, i had 4 and 6 month rapid and i dont believe it

shadesofgrey
Legend

#233154 - 10/30/07 10:04 AM

no there are different kinds of thrush

vokz
Grand Master

Reged: 09/06/07
      #233156 - 10/30/07 12:12 PM

Chris,

That argument works both ways.

22 months on, and umpteen negative HIV tests later, you are still obsessing about it being HIV. Whether you are HIV-positive or not, that is indicative of a very serious problem that needs addressing before real progress can be made on understanding what you real symptoms are.

You know damn well that the three months window period isn’t a “bunch of crap”, as you put it .. but until you can clear the crap out of your head (or the doctors can help you clear it out) you are never going to get on and accept that whatever cause they find for all your ills isn’t in fact HIV.

From what you yourself have told us, the doctors have already said enough is enough about the HIV, but YOU continue to refuse to accept that. Moreover, the fact that they are looking at PCP, and other pneumonic causes, shows that you are being far from honest when you also try to portray your doctors as not looking at other causes.

I don’t envy you your position, or your very real symptoms, but you really are not being very fair and balanced about this.

chrisbadmushroom
Guardian

#233158 - 10/30/07 01:42 PM

voks ok good point i can learn I might be slow but i do learn and maybe I do obsess about HIV but the DR's really are not much help because every time i go to a Dr the first thing they say is lets get an HIV test witch in turn shoots my anxiety through the roof I freak out for the whole process until I get another neg result It would not be so bad if i could find any other explanation for this illness and the fact that my children are involved makes it 100 fold worse I am terrified for my children and want answers not more hiv tests it is a very terrifying situation

Roper2008
Fanatic

Reged: 10/17/07
      #233164 - 10/30/07 04:57 PM

Well my tongue looks like a white towel most of the time, and my test was negative at 5 months and 13 days.

need2know01

Reged: 02/01/08
      #236109 - 02/01/08 03:02 AM

Epitope-Enhanced Conserved HIV-1 Peptide Protects HLA-A2-Transgenic Mice Against Virus Expressing HIV-1 Antigen
Takahiro Okazaki1,*, C. David Pendleton*, François Lemonnier and Jay A. Berzofsky2,*
* Molecular Immunogenetics and Vaccine Research Section, Metabolism Branch, Center for Cancer Research, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892; and Unité d’Immunité Cellulaire Antivirale, Institut Pasteur, Paris, France

Abstract
Abstract
Introduction
Materials and Methods
Results
Discussion
References

HIV epitopes may have developed to be poor immunogens. As a counterapproach HIV vaccine strategy, we used epitope enhancement of a conserved HIV reverse transcriptase (RT) epitope for induction of antiviral protection in HLA-A2-transgenic mice mediated by human HLA-A2-restricted CTLs. We designed two epitope-enhanced peptides based on affinity for HLA-A2, one substituted in anchor residues (RT-2L9V) and the other also with tyrosine at position 1 (RT-1Y2L9V), and examined the balance between HLA binding and T cell recognition. CTL lines and bulk cultures in two HLA-A2-transgenic mouse strains showed that RT-2L9V was more effective in inducing CTL reactive with wild-type Ag than RT-1Y2L9V, despite the higher affinity of the latter, because the 1Y substitution unexpectedly altered T cell recognition. Accordingly, RT-2L9V afforded the greatest protection in vivo against a surrogate virus expressing HIV-1 RT mediated by HLA-A2-restricted CTL in a mouse in which all CTL are restricted to only the human HLA molecule. Such antiviral protection has not been previously achieved with an HLA epitope-enhanced vaccine. These findings define a critical balance between MHC affinity and receptor cross-reactivity required for effective epitope enhancement and also demonstrate construction and efficacy of such a component of a new generation vaccine.

Introduction
Abstract
Introduction
Materials and Methods
Results
Discussion
References

In protection against HIV or SIV virus (1, 2, 3), CD8 CTL play a major role. Nevertheless, the natural immune response to HIV is often unable to clear the infection. Although a number of Ags that induce CTL responses and can help to eliminate or reduce virus production by killing viral producer cells have been reported thus far, these do not seem to be sufficient to eliminate infection in most cases. There is no reason to expect that the HIV sequence would have evolved to have optimal CTL epitopes to allow eradication of the virus. Thus, in principle it should be possible to improve the immunogenicity of epitopes, a process called "epitope enhancement," to develop a more highly effective HIV vaccine (4, 5).

A first approach to enhance peptide immunogenicity is to improve the affinity of CTL epitopes for HLA class I molecules. For this reason, we decided to focus on a peptide from a conserved region of the HIV reverse transcriptase (RT) 3 designated RT179–187, VIYQYMDDL. This epitope is endogenously processed and presented and recognized by HLA-A2.1-restricted CTL in HIV-infected patients (6) and has been described as a binder with weak affinity to HLA-A2.1 molecule (7). This weak binding affinity allowed us to introduce modifications aimed at improving binding, compared with other HIV epitopes described as high affinity binders and less in need of improvement. The advantage of this epitope is that it is also strongly conserved because its amino acid sequence, YMDD, is part of an active site of HIV RT. Such a conserved epitope may be more valuable in a vaccine than a higher affinity but more mutable one subject to viral escape. The VIYQYMDDL epitope is found in the vast majority of HIV strains and may be harder for the virus to mutate without loss of fitness.

We have previously succeeded in improving the affinity of a hepatitis C core epitope for HLA-A2.1 (8) and of a helper epitope for murine class II MHC (9, 10), and an epitope-enhanced melanoma peptide has shown efficacy in human clinical trials (11). Other complementary approaches to improve affinity for TCRs have been devised (12, 13, 14). Although one substitution resulting in higher affinity HLA binding of another HIV peptide has been reported (15), no rational strategy to improve epitopes of HIV has been conducted. In particular, no systematic analysis of the competing effects of substitutions on HIV peptide binding to the HLA class I molecule vs peptide-HLA complex binding to the TCR has been reported.

Further, to our knowledge, protection against viral infection in vivo by an epitope-enhanced vaccine mediated by CTL restricted by a human HLA molecule has not previously been demonstrated. To study such protection, we have taken advantage of a novel strain of mice, HHD-2, that is transgenic for human HLA-A2.1 with a covalent human 2-microglobulin and lacks any murine class I molecules because it is deficient in murine 2-microglobulin and murine H-2Db. Thus, in this strain, all CTL are restricted only to the human class I HLA molecule, and any protection cannot be mediated by CTL restricted to murine class I MHC molecules (7, 16). Because of the importance of HIV and AIDS and the critical need for an effective vaccine that is more effective than the natural virus for inducing protective responses, we have now undertaken a systematic program to enhance conserved epitopes of HIV. Here, we show not only such HLA-restricted CTL-mediated antiviral protection but also the design and construction of an enhanced conserved HIV epitope based on balancing effects of binding to an HLA molecule and binding to the TCR that may be a useful component of a second-generation human HIV vaccine.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4796

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3