Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
DRLove
Regular

Reged: 10/17/07
Loc: some hot mamas bedroom
KP-1461
      #232751 - 10/19/07 06:54 PM

DR Love thinks he loves KP-1461, an experimental HIV drug already in a phase II trial, works so differently from other antiretrovirals that at first glance it looked like science fiction, and we found it hard to take seriously as a current possibility today. In fact this drug is highly credible, and based on elegant science that goes back at least 25 years. KP-1461 is the only antiretroviral in human use or testing that can eradicate HIV from laboratory cell cultures. No one knows how it will work in people -- but we might know by the second quarter of 2008, when the current phase II trial could be complete. AIDS Treatment News interviewed Dr. Stephen Becker, a leading AIDS physician and researcher who is vice president of clinical development at Koronis Pharmaceuticals, in Seatt

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ravi
Legend

Reged: 11/19/05
Loc: Adelaide, Australia
Re: KP-1461 new
      #232822 - 10/22/07 05:56 AM

Dr Love,

I do hope it is not a big disappointment :)

Cheers

--------------------
Take Care

God Bless you

Stay Well

Love Ravi

Jackie__Blue
Legend

Reged: 01/20/07
Re: KP-1461 new
      #232828 - 10/22/07 09:06 AM

Ravi

It certainly is not out of the realm of possiblities. We already have entry inhibitors. Fuzeon was the first and approved in 2004. It seemed like science fiction when it first started clincial trails. A drug that could target a specific site on CD4 cells to prevent HIV from entering ...amazing. Since then they have become more refined. Maraviroc was recently approved and targets only the CCR5 receptor.

Drugs like KP-1461 are the next logical step. For years there has been research being done with genetics. Mapping DNA and discovering ways to fight disease at that very basic level.

There is every reason to believe that we are close to being able to start manipulating HIV's DNA.

There have been many drugs developed over the years that haven't made it, but the lessons the researchers have learned have made it possible to come back and develop therapies that do work. KP1461 might not make the grade, but I will put money down that the information learned from this will go into developing a drug that will work.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1805

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3