Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Sprite1
All Star

Reged: 08/23/07
Female to Male Transmission Risk (Dr Bob)
      #232177 - 10/09/07 07:50 PM

And just as I was entering the home stretch a little bit calmer...

Dr Bob's answer to the question "I've heard that female to male transmission is very low" has really scared me.

http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/SafeSex/Current/Q187720.html

Why do the rules keep changing even from the same people? Why is there no consistency to this whatsoever?

And "three months is conclusive" has become "six months is conclusive."

http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/SafeSex/Current/Q187721.html

Edited by Sprite1 (10/10/07 03:32 AM)

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ravi
Legend

Reged: 11/19/05
Loc: Adelaide, Australia
Re: Female to Male Transmission Risk (Dr Bob) new
      #232186 - 10/09/07 11:54 PM

Sprite,

I am clueless as to what dr.bob must have said. But one thing i am sure off is that he would not give wrong advise. Even though chances of transmission from a female to a male are very low, but it is possible...

As for testing rule, well, 3 months is definitive...

goodluck

--------------------
Take Care

God Bless you

Stay Well

Love Ravi

Sprite1
All Star

Reged: 08/23/07
      #232188 - 10/10/07 03:34 AM

I've added the links now to my original post - neither are answers to questions I've pitched but to go from saying female-male is a low risk, to saying it's not low at all is terrifying.

vokz
Grand Master

Reged: 09/06/07
Loc: London, UK
      #232200 - 10/10/07 09:46 AM

I am no particular fan of Dr Bob and I am last person to claim that he is infallible; but there is nothing even remotely inconsistent in what he says and nor are the ‘rules’ changing, as you put it.

You are just desperately looking to justify your own irrational state of mind, because no-one on any of the multitude of forums that you are posting your repeated questions on is giving you the answers that you are looking for.

Six months is mentioned because the questioner mentioned six months .. and because six months covers all the remote situations of people with an already suppressed immune systems that can only respond slowly (if at all) to infections (a supressed immune system that you don’t have and which therefore doesn’t apply to you).

As to the “I've heard that female to male transmission is very low" quote; how about you posting the complete phrase from the question as asked: “ I have heard that it is very difficult or IMPOSSIBLE for a male to be infected by HIV from unprotected sex with a female” … which puts the answer he gave in a whole different context.

Consider how many hundreds of millions of people are having unprotected sex every single day of the year - and then consider how many are actually infected. Yes, it is a risky business – but not that high a risk, absolutely not enough of a risk to justify this sort of paranoia about an imaginary incident with a prostitute .. and conclusively not enough to make you the one person in the history of HIV who has had ARS lasting for more than two months.

Sprite, you ask questions, but you never listen to any of the answers .. or read what you want to read into the answers. Your problems are in your head and you really need to get help (the sort of help you can’t get here, or in any other online forum), rather than feeding your paranoia by hanging around in an environment like this.

Sorry if that is harsh, but you really need to pull yourself together and realise that this has more to do with your guilt and fear of exposure than it does any rational worries about being infected with HIV.

chrisbadmushroom
Guardian

Reged: 05/24/07
      #232206 - 10/10/07 01:22 PM

GO SEE A SHRINK

ravi
Legend

Reged: 11/19/05
Loc: Adelaide, Australia
      #232248 - 10/11/07 08:12 AM

Hi,

The links you have provided do not impinge my opinion about Dr.Bob. What he says is true, no matter with whom you have it, unprotected sex does place you at risk...however the "degree of risk" could vary from an exposure to exposure, I mean an individual who is a MSM would considered to have greater risk of acquiring the infection, than a person who has had sex with a woman.

As for the second link, well, 6 month rule is applicable where there is an exposure with a confirmed HIV positive individual. Otherwise it is just 3 months...

Goodluck

--------------------
Take Care

God Bless you

Stay Well

Love Ravi

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5363

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3