Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Sprite1
All Star

Reged: 08/23/07
Stephen Fry: HIV and Me (Part 1)
      #231843 - 10/02/07 06:26 PM

With all that's going on at the moment, this programme held both a morbid fascination and a nightmarish reminder (as if I needed one) when I saw it advertised... but I couldn't *not* watch it. For any non-UK residents here, you may or may not know Stephen Fry - I wouldn't want to presume, though I'd hope you would. He's pretty well known here but aside from comedies like Blackadder and film appearances in "Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy" and "V For Vendetta." To most in Britain he's known as a vastly intelligent, funny and gentle giant - he's very tall - who just happens to be gay. He suffers from bipolar and made a very personal documentary about it; now, as a gay man who watched many of his friends die when HIV/AIDS first came to light in the eighties, pre-meds, he's made this programme "HIV and Me" to see how Britain and places like South Africa exist with HIV in the 21st Century.

It was really shocking how society today doesn't seem as conscious of HIV today; compared to the late Eighties. Many gay men in a gay club Stephen visited were so casual - a youngish man (30s?) took his rapid test on camera and said he had hardly ever used condoms in the past.

Another young man talked about a person he knew who was a "bug chaser" who called HIV "the gift". This person (not seen) was apparently only 19 and asked five Positive men to have sex with him, one by one, and then had a buttplug to keep the semen inside him to ensure he was definitely infected.

Similarly, it showed a typical night out in Doncaster, England, where a nightclub bouncer boasted of having slept with a different girl each night. He was HIV+ and didn't use protection with any of them; there was a spike of hundreds more calls than the local health helpline received when the news story broke, which proved his boasts were true. He died a year later; sadly one girl he infected died before he did, and a few more thereafter, because they didn't get treatment. This wasn't the Eighties though, this was *recent*.

We also met a teenage girl from the UK who was born with HIV and how she manages her condition today (she's doing great) and a man in his 40s who died three weeks after the programme was made, after twenty years of infection.

There was a woman in her 50s who know talks to schools to educate after her (negative) son received abuse just for having a mum with HIV.

1000 people per day die from HIV in South Africa because their government don't believe there's a link between HIV and AIDS.

Stephen Fry even took a test on camera (results and more next week).

To anyone in the UK, worried well, window period or HIV positive alike, I hope you watched it. To anyone outside the UK, well I guess you won't get to see it on TV but if you have broadband try and download a copy if you can - it was a sensitive, moving and powerful first half. Did anyone else see it? Any thoughts?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
chrisbadmushroom
Guardian

Reged: 05/24/07
Re: Stephen Fry: HIV and Me (Part 1) new
      #231847 - 10/02/07 06:58 PM

I preferred the family guy episode

Sprite1
All Star

#231850 - 10/02/07 07:56 PM

*sigh* helpful. LOL. I missed Family Guy tonight, but I really like it. Stewie is genius.

vokz
Grand Master

Reged: 09/06/07
Loc: London, UK
      #231870 - 10/03/07 02:25 AM

I saw previews of both the shows last week and I think they are a spectacularly good (hard-hitting, yet sensitive), start to the BBC’s two-month network wide (and Facebook) HIV awareness campaign. Public service broadcasting at its best.

In addition, Sprite, I do hope you picked up on the fact that even your window period tests were conclusive enough that you should stop worrying yourself to an early grave .. or did you conveniently forget to notice that bit?

My only real criticism was the portrayal of New Zealand’s immigration policy. New Zealand only restricts the entry of HIV-positive people wishing to stay for more than twelve months.

This is a lot more generous than the United States, which effectively has a blanket ban on anyone with HIV entering the country.

In fact, in the United States, even foreign nationals who are there legally, and become infected there, lose their right to remain and are expelled if their status becomes known.

If they were going to pick on a country as being prejudiced, then it would have been much fairer to pick on the United States.

;)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/tv_and_radio/hivandme_index.shtml

chrisbadmushroom
Guardian

#231887 - 10/03/07 10:40 AM

from what i understand the US changed its policy on hiv status

vokz
Grand Master

#231891 - 10/03/07 11:34 AM

Bush said he would issue an executive order to change the policy .. but he hasn’t.

chrisbadmushroom
Guardian

#231894 - 10/03/07 11:41 AM

Busch says allot of things

vokz
Grand Master

#231896 - 10/03/07 11:46 AM

... none of which has ever made any sense and most of which generally has the consistency, colour and smell of something produced by Uranus Corp.

chrisbadmushroom
Guardian

#231902 - 10/03/07 12:32 PM

yep we are so proud of our rodeo clown of a president

Sprite1
All Star

#231912 - 10/03/07 01:40 PM

I've wanted to have a holiday in America for a while, not that I can afford it, but I've always said I'll wait for Bush's presidency to end. If he really did get in by just over 50%, I wouldn't be able to resist slapping every second person I saw in every street and screaming "But why? Why did you elect a monkey with the IQ of a cheese sandwich?"

vokz
Grand Master

#231920 - 10/03/07 02:21 PM

Well we voted for a gormless grinning glove puppet (three times) .. so stones and glasshouses etc.

Semtex pickle with the cheese sandwich, Sir?

PS: To be fair, was it not Clinton who introduced the ban on us pozzers?

Edited by vokz (10/03/07 02:27 PM)

chrisbadmushroom
Guardian

#231921 - 10/03/07 02:26 PM

did you used to work for Enron

vokz
Grand Master

#231922 - 10/03/07 02:32 PM

No, but I made a LOT of money out of Enron :)

Sprite1
All Star

#231928 - 10/03/07 05:20 PM

Unfortunately you've got me there, but I was too young to vote in 97 and not in the UK for 01 and 05. But party politics is worth a separate thread somewhere off-topic and would basically boil down to "they're all useless bastards anyway."

Survivor
Legend

Reged: 10/30/05
Loc: Get off the fence and live again!
      #231934 - 10/03/07 08:12 PM

Let me know when it hits broadband.. Love to see it... Even Ann the Moderator over at aidsmeds was interviewed on that show... I do like Fry... It sounded like a bit of scare tactics used, but hell, if thats what is needed to stay away from getting infected, so be it. Sorta water under the bridge for most of us tho..

Eric

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7319

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3