Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Got a high fever
      #23174 - 10/09/01 04:22 PM

Hi guys. Im really scared. My last risk exposure was 3 weeks ago and i started having stomach problems and last night i had a fever of 102.5. I have never gotten such a high fever ever since i can remember. i still have nausea and i cant eat and the doctor i went to today said my cbc was not bad and it was a virus and i had to let it run its course. Im soooooooo scared about hiv!!!!!!!!!!!! I took a test today though I know its too early. I know the person i was with and 2 months before we had both taken tests and they were negative. That gives me a little releif. I feel like calling up the guy and ask him to take another test while i wait up my window period. I feel i ruined my whole life.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jackie_Blue
Legend

Reged: 10/26/00
Re: Got a high fever new
      #23176 - 10/09/01 04:39 PM

Take heart in the fact you both tested negative 2 months ago. You didn't say how long you were with this person before you decided to test. I think most people would show positive by 8 weeks (2 months) and certainly by 3 months so the chances that your partner was not done seroconverting may be small. From the timing of all this I can certainly see why you would be freaking out, but keep in mind it really could be just a coincidence and all you have is some harmless 'bug'.

Unfortunately the only way to know for sure is to test. Since you have known the guy for sometime and you both felt comfortable enough to test before, call him. While you can't be certain of your status from someone else's test, it certainly couldn't hurt in this circumstance.

Striker
Unregistered

#23177 - 10/09/01 04:46 PM

Ok, first, calm down. Fear will kill you before HIV does if that is it. I know how scarey a fever can be. Did you talk to your doctor about your HIV fears? Your doctor should know about the symptons of HIV and decide if you were at high risk or not based on your symptons and your exposure which you did not mention. I assume it was unprotected vaginal sex with a guy. Did your doctor recommend the test? Was he/she concerned or not that it was HIV or is this more your fear? I know how it feels to hear those words "it's probably something viral." esp when HIV is concerned. Sometimes doctors don't always think.

If you know the guy that you were with and he was negative on a test two months ago, that's good. If you know him well enough to call him up and ask for a test, why not call him and ask him if he slept with anyone since that test besides you? That would tell you really quick if you should be scared or not. Be honest and tell him your fears and all.

I know it's hard for you right now, but don't immediately junp to conclusions. You have a 1 in 500 chance of contracting HIV in unprotected sex. So, it is NOT for sure about HIV. Add this to your partnet who you do not know is HIV+ and the chances definitely go down. If you need some more help, come back and give more details. We here at this board feel your pain so much more than most since we have all gone through what you are feeling.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#23178 - 10/09/01 06:24 PM

what was the exposure?

josh
Unregistered

#23179 - 10/09/01 10:00 PM

Thanks guys for your nice words. I still feel bad, i got diahrreah now, but not the kind you have to run to the bathroom with ( sorry about the graphics), headache and the temperture is down to 101. I called up the guy. He swears there has been nobody else and i told him i was going crazy and needed a big favor from him. so im picking him tommorrow morning and heading for the clinic to test. i know of a place that will give you the result the same day. What a jerk i have been. i just really really wish this is a very horribñle coincidence and nothing else.
josh

Anonymous
Unregistered

#23182 - 10/09/01 10:29 PM

Hate to ask ,but are you gay? In other words, did you have unprotected receptive anal intercourse? What exactly is your exposure of concern?

Anonymous
Unregistered

#23183 - 10/09/01 10:35 PM

So, Josh, I'm assuming from this post that you are the original anonymous poster, and that you are gay. Now, the question is, did you have protected or unprotected sex? Were you the "top" or the "bottom"? Even if you don't feel like answering (which is understandable), these questions are important to determine your risk.

Anonymous
Unregistered

???? new
      #23194 - 10/10/01 08:08 AM

The world is not as simple as you think. One need not be a gay to have receptive anal intercourse.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: ???? - give me a break! new
      #23198 - 10/10/01 09:20 AM

Don't start that "politically correct" B.S. with me. I'm a man whose had sex with men, and let's face it - that puts me in a higher risk group! If you are a promiscuous gay or bi male (in the United States) your chances of contracting HIV are higher than a straight male or female. This doesn't mean gay sex is wrong; but if it's unprotected, it's more risky! Any HIV doctor worth his/her salt will ask an HIV concerned patient if he shoots drugs / or is homosexual.

josh
Unregistered

Re: update new
      #23200 - 10/10/01 10:30 AM

I had a terrible night. Mostly with my stomach really upset and couldnt sleep threw up some. ( hope its a stomach flu). Anyways i had unprotected receptive anal sex. There were no condoms and there was no ejaculation either. I havent been with anybody else since this guy. or before for that matter this has been my steady partner. We met this morning and i took him to the testing site. he took his test. results in the late afternoon. He is really cool about and says there is nothing to worry cause he has never been with anybody else.
Good points:
no swollen glands
no soar throat
no rashes
negative test from both of us 2 months ago
my partner was very willing to test with no problem

Bad points

High risk exposure
high fever
diaharreah
nausea
no apetite at all

Thats all for now and im trying to keep calm.
josh

sam
Unregistered

#23201 - 10/10/01 10:49 AM

it sounds like it is going to be ok...if he is willing to test without complaint he is most likely being truthful with you. I pray you are both neg and remain that way thru life.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#23211 - 10/10/01 06:45 PM

Hang in there, Josh. The guy didn't hesitate to get tested, and if he hasn't been with anyone else since you've seen him, and you tested neg. together 2 months ago ..... well ..... it's most likely the flew. I salute the both of you for being proactive - best of luck, my friend!

josh
Unregistered

Re: update 2 new
      #23212 - 10/10/01 08:20 PM

My partners test came back negative! that means i just have a regular stomach flu most likely. Fevers gone today but the runs are alll day.
Thanks guys for all your support. This was really scary. I get my test result tommorrow since i did it in a hospital with my other tests the doctor ordered. I know it will be ok now.
again thanks to you all!
best of luck
josh

Anonymous
Unregistered

#23215 - 10/10/01 10:58 PM

glad to hear it josh.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#23216 - 10/10/01 11:22 PM

Congrats Josh .... good luck, buddy!

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5166

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3