Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Sprite1
All Star

Reged: 08/23/07
Bowel Issues (Sorry, not a nice topic)
      #231398 - 09/22/07 05:29 PM

A horrible thing to talk about, but while I've heard of the above being an issue in ARS, are other bowel problems a sign of infection?

Since I had my exposure I've only had one single bout of Diarrhea, and I'm sure that was a psychosomatic reaction in part due to a dodgy meal I ate - going to sleep the week after the event thinking "well, of the symptoms at least I've not had diarrhea" only to wake up early the next morning and going to the bathroom to have a very loose stool.

My bathroom habits have changed though. I used to be regular, always one fairly large solid stool about six or seven pm. Now I seem to need to go twice (or even three times, sometimes) a day and not at regular occasions, and while they're solid, they're much smaller and I tend to need to go fairly soon after eating, even just a small snack. Is this stress?

Edited by Sprite1 (09/22/07 05:30 PM)

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
chrisbadmushroom
Guardian

Reged: 05/24/07
Re: Bowel Issues (Sorry, not a nice topic) new
      #231399 - 09/22/07 07:00 PM

nice

Jackie__Blue
Legend

Reged: 01/20/07
      #231405 - 09/22/07 10:31 PM

You are obessing over your poo and it's quality, consistancy, amount and timing? Really??? Seriously???

You're gonna be a total nutcase by the time you test. Best pace yourself on losing any sanity you might still have left.

vokz
Grand Master

Reged: 09/06/07
Loc: London, UK
      #231411 - 09/23/07 02:19 AM

Sprite,

Given that two or three formed bowel movements a day is as normal as one - or even one every few days - you are asking us to tell you whether a perfectly normal habit is a symptom of something (be that stress or HIV). Just how bizarre is that?

Even a single dodgy meal / drink (or stress .. or a change in eating habits .. or a course of antibiotics .. or any other medication) can change the balance of the bacteria in your gut and can have a long-term impact on the frequency and consistency of your stools .. yet still be perfectly normal.

There are other things that would be indicative of illness; but since you have not mentioned them, it is probably safe for us to assume you have not experienced them (I am not going to tell you what they are, because you will only start imagining them too).

If you are uncomfortable with the changes in your toilet habits, add a probiotic yoghurt drink to you daily diet for a few weeks.

ARS / seroconversion illness is a short acute illness that lasts a few days. If you were one of the few people who experience a longer ARS event, then I can promise you that there is no way on this earth you would be sat here stressing about relatively minor details like the frequency of your bowel movements.

You really have to start accepting that diverse non-specific 'symptoms' that persist for this length of time are absolutely not symptoms of infection with HIV, and that micro-analysing everything like this is what is affecting your mental and physical health.

One final thought: It is only in the immediate 72 hours after a high-risk exposure to HIV that anything constructive can be done. If you really were infected with HIV nearly two months ago, then whether or not you find out right now, or in three months time, really will make no difference at all to your treatment and your long-term or prognosis.

Stop obsessing, get on with your life, buy a pension plan, stress about Northern Rock, rage about Jose Mourinho, bang your head against a brick wall in protest at Madeleine mania and test at twelve weeks.

Yours truly,

Someone who has been HIV-positive since an enjoyable drunken incident over the Queen's Golden Jubilee bank holiday weekend .. and still hasn’t managed to accumulate as many possible symptoms of HIV as you have had in the last eight weeks.

/end dominatrix subroutine

Anthony25
Regular

Reged: 09/19/07
      #231414 - 09/23/07 09:38 AM

Hey bro, I think your stress is throwing your digestive system outta whack....it happens when people are under alot of stress. you see it when students spend days prepping for final exams.

shadesofgrey
Legend

Reged: 12/02/05
      #231444 - 09/24/07 10:10 AM

definitly stress, i have always found as soon as you think thank god i dont have that symptom , you will surely have that one within 24 hours, its how the psychi works. cruel little joke of the human mind. be well you will come out negative

Sprite1
All Star

#231451 - 09/24/07 12:59 PM

All of those I could put down except for the aches and the moles/spots. I wish I had your optimism. Five weeks to go...

sacinsc
Regular

Reged: 09/12/07
Loc: South Carolina
      #231452 - 09/24/07 01:03 PM

I just talked to my doctor about this. I just tested poz and was having loose bowel movements even before I found out. It was a good 2 1/2 weeks of this, even pooped in my sleep...thats gross. Anyway he said it was mostl likely caused by the stress I was undergoing. Shorly thereafter it cleared up. Im not perfect yet but tomorrow is my 3 week aniversary of founding out.

I am sure your probably in the same boat.

Good Luck

Matt

Sprite1
All Star

#231453 - 09/24/07 01:19 PM

So you're saying that you've experienced bowel problems and you went on to test positive. I've not had diarrhoea, and not in my sleep, but I have experienced changes... so I can't rule it out.

chrisbadmushroom
Guardian

#231455 - 09/24/07 01:53 PM

YOU DO NOT HAVE HIV

Florida69
Legend

Reged: 02/19/07
      #231456 - 09/24/07 01:55 PM

Sprite, the loose bowel movements could very easily be stress, which is probably your case. Not everyone who tests positive will have loose stool, etc. You can not judge on symptoms, the best way to know if you are positive or not are to take the test. I know you are planning on doing just that. Take a deep breath, you are probably in the clear. Take care, D

chrisbadmushroom
Guardian

FLORIDA69 new
      #231459 - 09/24/07 03:53 PM

FLORIDA69 don't you remember his exposure. there was not one. so he does not have hiv it is all stress

Florida69
Legend

Reged: 02/19/07
Re: FLORIDA69 new
      #231460 - 09/24/07 04:02 PM

Chris, yes I remember, however in psychology 101 I was taught that sometimes the mind is the greatest weapon against us. I know it is stress, and that was my point. We have to look at the big picture he, he needs to take the test in order to ease his mental anquish. Remember Chris you were there not that long ago. I find it hysterical though that former worried wells are giving advice to new ones. LOL Just saying. D

Edited by FLORIDA69 (09/24/07 04:03 PM)

chrisbadmushroom
Guardian

#231464 - 09/24/07 04:28 PM

no you are right i am a nut case and still sick just pretty sure it is not hiv at this point, but at least i did have a real exposure

Sprite1
All Star

#231467 - 09/24/07 04:45 PM

Although she denied it (twice) I feel that I did penetrate her - and ridiculous as it sounds now, was inside for a few moments. The exposure may not have been a lengthy amount of intercourse with ejaculation but the way my body has been behaving (including spots/moles, aches, bowel issues, cough...) means I'm currently very, very frightened. And not just scared for me but for my partner.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9798

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3