Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

ARS? - Symtpom
      #23139 - 10/08/01 10:44 PM

Hello everyone,
Are canker sores a sign of ARS? I had a possible risky behavior about 5 weeks ago and now have 3 canker sores in my mouth over a 2 week period.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Striker
Unregistered

Re: ARS? - Symtpom new
      #23141 - 10/09/01 12:35 AM

Nope, not as a single sympton. They could be part of ARS, but you would need other symptons like fever, swollen lymph nodes, and possibly a rash first. Then *maybe* it might be a sympton. You don't describe your possible risky behavior, so you may not even have cause for wondering about ARS. However if so, canker sores alone are not a sign. I would say this is probably more due to stress than anything else.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#23151 - 10/09/01 09:56 AM

I had unprotected sex with a woman on her period. I have swollen nodes, sore throat, stuffed up every morning, and these canker sores are what really is starting to freak me out. I have 4 in my mouth right now. I have not had a fever though and isn't a fever one of the most common symptoms? This happened 5 weeks ago. My sore throat and stuffed up symptoms started 2 weeks ago. (so 3 weeks after possible exposure) I am getting tested thursday. So I'll have to wait till next week for the results. I am starting to really worry!

Striker
Unregistered

#23165 - 10/09/01 01:38 PM

Ok, I'm not going to snow you and say that you had a low risk encounter. Unprotected sex with a woman on her period is a high risk activity, but this does not mean that you have contracted HIV. Do you know if she was HIV+ or not? Status can make a difference here. Also, there is not guarentee that you contract HIV if you come into contact with it.

As for your symptons, let me address some of them. First, you sound like you have a upper respiratory infection. Congestion is not common in ARS. A sore throat and swollen nodes could be, but they could also be related to sinuses. Do you know for sure you nodes are swollen? Has a doctor checked them and told that they are? If not, then don't assume. I have been dealing with what I thought was swollen lymph nodes for about a month a half now. Thus far, every single time I have been to the doctor, no swollen nodes. Also, you didn't mention what nodes are swollen. ARS is a generalized swelling of lymph nodes, not just one or in one area like your neck. Finally, lymph nodes swelling can caused by any type of infection. The lymphatic system plays a huge part in the body's fight of infection. So, swollen nodes could be a reaction to anything really.

A fever is a very common sign of ARS. I believe it's something like 94% of people get a fever with it, so you should have it too if it was by chance ARS. Again, another reason why not to think that you have contracted HIV.

A 5(or close to 6 week) test is a good start, but definitely not conclusive. You need a 12 week test for that.

I know how you feel my friend. I have been there and as have many, many others on this board. You did have a risky activity, but I do not think this is ARS from what you have described. I wish you good luck and will say a prayer for you. Come back if you need more help. :-)

Anonymous
Unregistered

#23169 - 10/09/01 02:19 PM

Striker,
Thanks for the response, one additional item that has me worried is my area where my spleen is has been very tender recently, I know the spleen makes up part of the immune system, ever heard of that being a part of ARS or infection? Anyways, thanks for the response.

Striker
Unregistered

#23172 - 10/09/01 03:11 PM

Tenderness/swelling of the spleen can be a sympton of ARS, but as a primary sympton it's low on the list. Again, I think you should let a doctor check and see if it's really your spleen. Your spleen is located in your upper left abdomen underneath the lower part of the rib cage and more under your arm than towards the front. It is VERY hard to diagnose tenderness and/or swelling in the spleen if you are not a doctor. It is said that it is one of the harder organs to check for inexperienced med students. Given this, I wouldn't jump to conclusions. Remeber that your large colon runs in that area too, so it could be that you are stressing yourself and causing problems with that intestine which is causing your discomfort/tenderness. I've had this "sympton" myself, but I'm finally believing what I just told you. Stress is a horrible thing and it can make you think all sorts pains are something that they might not be. Again, please check with your doctor and get an expert opinion to be sure.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#23180 - 10/09/01 10:11 PM

I have a doctor's appt later this week, I am just very worried since I have had a sore throat, swollen nodes, sore ness in my lower left side, pretty much near the base of my rib cage, 4 canker sore in my mouth right now, and diarrea. I wasn't too nervous until last week about the possibility since the woman said she had only been with one man her entire life. She did have a tatoo and a pierced belly button though and I find it hard to believe she would hook up with me drunk one night after having only been with one man. Anyways, I have NOT had a fever, and so I guess that is good. Does ARS always come everything at once, because the soreness started yesteday, the sore throat 2 weeks ago and the canker sores last week. Your helping me out a ton. I will have the test back next week I am sure, but still want to know the chances with all these symptoms.

UGH!

Striker
Unregistered

#23187 - 10/10/01 02:24 AM

I am glad to hear about your doctor's appointment. I completely understand your worry especially with the symptons that you seem to be having. Again, don't jump to conclusions here. To answer your question, ARS symptons usually show up with each other and not in the manner which you describe. That's not to say that they can't(nothing's for sure with HIV), but usually don't. I do know the area that you said is sore on your left side. I don't think it's your spleen giving you problems. I think that it's gastrointestinal related which could be caused by the stress that you are enduring right now. Also, remember that the swollen nodes would be all over your body(neck, groin, arms to name a few) and that a doctor should tell you if they are swollen or not, not self-diagnosis! The fact that you have no fever is a very good sign I think. I know that given your exposure it's hard not to think that you are screwed, but you still have a very good chance of not having anything. I encourage you to be frank with your doctor and ask him/her anything you need to. Knowledge can a powerful weapon for fear. Just don't over do it like some do and use it against yourself. Finally, I don't want to scare you, but I would also suggest you test for hepatitis while you are at it. It is more contagious and transmitted via blood typically. Sometimes in our tunnel vision of getting HIV, we forget there are other STDs too.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3365

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3