Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

co-infection
      #23068 - 10/06/01 03:13 PM

Does anyone have a clue about the possibilities for a simultanious hepatitis-b/hiv co-infection? Would a simultanious infection have any effect on symptoms?

My symptoms:
- after 4 weeks - very small rash on left cheek (for 3 weeks). Slightly reddish skin with dandruff.
- after 7 weeks - occasional muscle aches and also some joint pain in fingers (for 8 weeks now). Muscle aches were quite heavy at the beginning, they started after drinking a few beers after work. Now it's been easier.

Based on this info, I suspect I might have hep-b, but the rash after 4 weeks hints for HIV..

I've tried to keep a good attitude and I think I've managed pretty well. I havent had too many sleepless nights. It's less than week for the results now and I can't help building up scenarious.. A co-infection would seem a logical explanation to me.

-worried

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Additional info new
      #23069 - 10/06/01 03:27 PM

I reply to my own post:

The risk was having vaginal sex with a prostitute, without protection. Well, with protection, but after an unlucky and careless sequence of events (+ being drunk), ended up doing without.

I sent this reminder in order to prevent guestioning the risk level, thought it might save your time..

Jackie_Blue
Legend

Reged: 10/26/00
Re: co-infection new
      #23073 - 10/06/01 05:47 PM

Yes co-infection with Hep B and HIV are possible.

While it is understandable that a coninfection is the only logical explanation to you doesn't mean it is.

Muscle and joint aches are a symptom of Hep B. They can also be caused for any number of other reasons. You didn't say you had nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, fatigue and jaundice which are also symptoms of Hep B. Muscle aches are more often associated with overuse, tension, stress. The joint pain in your fingers could be from Arthritis, Bursitis, overuse, injury, etc.

The skin is very prone to odd rashes from time to time. That's why there are dematologists. All they do is treat people with all sorts of skin conditions from rashes to skin cancer.

Besides, what you described doesn't sound anything like the rash I've seen the experts describe. J. Feinberg of the Opportunistic Infections section says "The rash that can occur during seroconversion usually appears within 10-21 days of exposure to HIV. Typically the rash is flat or barely raised, with small reddish dots/spots."

It doesn't have dandruff or is it just slightly reddish and 4 weeks would be a little long for it to show up. I've also seen that it typically occurs over the upper trunk of the body.

While a prostitute is in a high risk category, it doesn't guarentee that she has either Hep B or HIV. And even if she did, a one time exposure does not guarentee you would have been infected.

You can not tell by symptoms. Only a test will tell you for sure. Try to continue your good attitude and not have too many sleepless nights while you wait. I imagine you will find yourself negative.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: co-infection new
      #23093 - 10/07/01 11:17 AM

Hi, thanks for your thorough answer, Jackie!

I think my rash symptoms might relate to something called "Seborrheic Dermatitis". Some info from
http://hivworkshop.com/recongnise_of_hiv_aids.htm#Acute Seroconversion

--------------
5) Seborrhoeic dermatitis

This common skin condition, characterized by erythematous scaly patches ofskin, most commonly in the malar region, nasolabial fold, eye brows, scalp, and behind the ears occurs in about 3% of the general population. Among HIV infected persons, the prevalence is vastly increased, ranging from 7-50%. Both the frequency and severity are closely related to the stage of HIV infection.

--------------------------------------

This is related to dandruff and my rash was located
in the malar region. Well, you never know.. And does
it really matter at this point, anyway? Thursday's the
big day.. Wish me luck! :)

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1565

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3