Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Can'tTakethis
Unregistered

Window period
      #22943 - 10/03/01 08:36 PM

A little more than 6 months ago I had unprotected relations with a woman. I got tested at 2 weeks, 4 weeks, and 13 weeks. I keep reading on here that a 3 month elisa test is close to being conclusive. I called my doctors office today to see what kind of test I had done. All I got was a company named quest and they could not find out wether it was 1st, 2nd or 3rd generation. I'm at 6 months now and worried to death because I always thought that my immune system wasn't the best because I have allergies. Right now i'm felling pains between my legs, armpits and behind my ears. Periodically around my neck. Should I trust in that 13week test with my bad immune system. I,m scared to go back to the doctor for my 6 month test. Someone please help me..

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Striker
Unregistered

Re: Window period new
      #22946 - 10/03/01 08:58 PM

Hi friend,

There is always intense discussion by a select few here on this board about the window period. I do believe your 13 week test is accurate. Some of the overly paranoid here who believe that you can never test too often or too late, but most say otherwise. It's even expected that the CDC will change to 3 months here real soon. Other countries already have 3 month as their window. 6 months is a very, very rare exception and most documented cases have been medical workers who have had PEP which definitely influnces the window period. I do believe that your aches and pains are stress related. I know this because I have had these same thoughts about my aches/pains!! Everytime I have had a ache or pain lately, I've wondered if it's been a lymph node acting up or one of those ARS "body aches" or some omnious warning of HIV. If you did have Quest as your testing company, then it is a 3rd gen Elisa and it is VERY accurate. You should not be worrying about this. If a 6 month test will make you feel better, do it. The results will be the same though, negative! I have allergies too, but that does NOT mean you have a bad immune system at all. If anything, you immune system probably reacts a bit more and that's why you *feel* allergies. It's your immune system reacting to the allergen in your lungs, blood, or whatever... Given this, I would think that your immune system would react much sooner rather than much later. Do not confuse allergies with having a broken down immune system. They are NOT the same. Please stop worrying about your encounter and know that you are ok and that your test results are accurate.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Window period new
      #22949 - 10/03/01 11:42 PM

From the tone of your note it would be my feelings the only way you are going to get this behind you is to take another test. (It will be negative) But do not take it unless you are ready to put this behind you. I know from experience I only began to feel better after my own "window" was closed.

Try not to be afraid to take the test, you will only be free when you are willing to accept the negative results.

Good Luck,

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1122

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3