Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Panicman

Reged: 08/10/07
Scared as hell, what are my chances?
      #229316 - 08/10/07 04:35 PM

I'm a 25 year old male who's been exposed to a poz man. About 3 days ago we had unprotected sex. He did oral on me for about 2 minutes and I topped him for about 1 minute and came inside him. I asked him at the time if he was negative and he lied and told me he was just to turn around ask him today to find out the truth. I know my risk was low even for a high risk exposure but that's not doing much to calm my nerves. Even though it's too early I'm going in to get a rapid test tomorrow and I pray that it's negative but I'm scared to death. Is there anyone out there that can help me out?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
chrisbadmushroom
Guardian

Reged: 05/24/07
Re: Scared as hell, what are my chances? new
      #229318 - 08/10/07 05:49 PM

from what i understand if you get a NAT test or a Viral load test you can cut the window period down to a couple weeks or you will have to wait till the three month mark for the antibody test and since you know he has a poz status you should test again at six months just to be sure thats what the CDC says some will argue that but that is what they say

MiamiLat
Guardian

Reged: 12/30/05
Loc: Miami, FL
      #229319 - 08/10/07 05:49 PM

I've been in your situation before and it is possible NOT to get infected even if the bottom is POS.
The actual odds of infection from unprotected insertive anal sex (top) with POS (bottom) is 6.5 in 10,000.
As you can see, the odds aren't incredibly high and the fact your exposure was for a short amount of time works in your favor as well. This is considered a moderate risk.
I know this is a very distressing situation but try to hang in there until 6 wks where u can test and have a good indication of your status. Then you can repeat the test at 12/ 13 wks for a conclusive result. Good luck amigo!

--------------------
"Education, prevention, awareness, research, and support"

Panicman

#229320 - 08/10/07 06:10 PM

Thanks for the info. It helped a bit to calm me but I'm still very aggrivated. Almost to the point of exposing him on the websites he cruises on. Just so stressed right now...

MiamiLat
Guardian

#229321 - 08/10/07 06:28 PM

I understand ur frustration and although he should have taken steps to protect you, u must realize it takes two to tango. You also consented to unprotected sex. I know this is a very difficult time but hang in there buddy, it is possible to come out of this OK.

--------------------

MiamiLat
Guardian

#229322 - 08/10/07 06:39 PM

NO, for screening purposes I would only recommend antibody testing (ELISA, OraQuick, HomeAccess, etc). Although CDC recommends testing at 6 mos for confirmed exposures, this is not necessary unless the individual has a severely compromised immune system. 12/ 13 weeks is ENOUGH!

--------------------

Panicman

#229323 - 08/10/07 06:40 PM

I know, you're right. For the most part I'm trying to stay as optimistic about this as I can. Thanks for the support that I've gotten from you all so far. I wasn't expecting any responses for a while, I'll keep checking back for words of encouragement to get by until I can test...

chrisbadmushroom
Guardian

Reged: 05/24/07
      #229327 - 08/10/07 08:19 PM

[quote]I understand ur frustration and although he should have taken steps to protect you, u must realize it takes two to tango. You also consented to unprotected sex. [/quote] I strongly disagree with that yes unprotected sex is stupid and you should not do it even if the person says they are negative. That person who knowing exposed him is in the wrong completely and by not disclosing his status that in my opinion and many other is nothing short of attempted murder and he should probably be reported to protect others I mean would you say it takes two to tango if it was you little sister or daughter

creative

Reged: 08/11/07
      #229330 - 08/11/07 06:38 AM

miami lat
i have some similarities with you, and will feel more comfortable talking by email, would you email me?
zabdyy@yahoo.com
thank you.

Jackie__Blue
Legend

Reged: 01/20/07
      #229331 - 08/11/07 08:55 AM

Miami already covered your risk and the fact exposure doesn't equal transmission. He's correct about testing at 6 weeks and at 3 months for all the testing you need to do.

I was just wondering about this:

[quote] I asked him at the time if he was negative and he lied and told me he was just to turn around ask him today to find out the truth. [/quote]

I certainly don't know you, him or was there for the conversation, but is it possible that bringing up the subject again the next day ticked him off a bit?

I'm thinkin' maybe he doesn't have HIV, but perhaps was insulted. Either by the way the conversation was handled and he felt put on the defensive or because by asking him again it meant you already believed he lied to you the prior night. Maybe he didn't and was mad that you believed he had lied to you. So, perhaps he told you the next day he had HIV just to scare the hell out of you.

Either way, I'm sure that you have learned that it's your responsiblity to protect your own health.

Good Luck with your testing. You're odds certainly lean toward a negative result.

Panicman

#229334 - 08/11/07 02:26 PM

Actually what I ended up doing was creating a fake profile on the site I met him on posing as a poz guy from out of town. I contacted him and he told me on that profile that he was poz. I asked him again on my actual profile and he sweared he was neg but then told me again on the fake one he was poz.

I'm not an expert but I don't see the reason why someone would lie about their status even to an actual poz guy. I'm still holding on to hope that I am clean, especially considering my short exposure, but I've been down all day and probably will remain that way until after I can get tested. Man I pray I'll be alright

Jackie__Blue
Legend

Reged: 01/20/07
      #229335 - 08/11/07 02:35 PM

[quote]I'm not an expert but I don't see the reason why someone would lie about their status even to an actual poz guy. I'm still holding on to hope that I am clean[/quote]

I don't see any reason either, but then it seems you both are into playing games and that alone makes everything suspect.

As far as being clean, that doesn't require any hope, just a shower.

Panicman

#229336 - 08/11/07 04:04 PM

Don't get me wrong. I was suspicious of him after the whole event took place. It wasn't until 3 days after it happened that I decided to make that profile to see what he'd say. He had no reason to believe that it was me he was talking to. It wasn't about trying to play a game, it was more about me trying to see if he would say something else to someone else and that's exactily what happened.

I know I'm probably over analysing the situation but again, I don't see why a man would lie and say he was poz to another man that was. If such is the case then that leaves room for judgement of character. I know I'm just as much at fault for putting myself in the position in the first place, beleve me I've been kicking myself all week for it. But at the same time that just doesn't seem cool. If he is lying that's causing unessicary panic and I'm probably not the first one he's done it to. But yeah, I've learned my lesson. And as time progresses I'm leaning towards a negative test, but I'm leaving that to the powers that be. I'll be taking a shower right after this post

Panicman

#229385 - 08/12/07 11:44 PM

Well so far I'm on day six since my encounter. I don't know if it's anxiety or an actual worry, but I've noticed that when I woke up this morning I have a small stain in my boxers. When I milked my penis a slight bit of a residue came out. It looked a bit yellow but I don't know if it was the light I was looking at it under or not.

I know that they say the chances increase if you have also caught an STD from the encounter, but does anyone know how much the risk it after that? Probably too many factors. This just shakes me that much more, so far I'm not having any symptoms of ARS, but I do have a slight pain in my urethra that comes and goes. I'm sure that's all in my head though...

I'm going in the morning to get a rapid test done just to be safe. Man I hope it and the tests after are neg...

Panicman

#229428 - 08/14/07 01:50 AM

Well I went and got myself tested yesterday morning. Found a place not too far from me that did free rapid testing. As is stands at this moment I am HIV negative. The counselor was very nice in talking to me about my risks and means of prevention. She also gave me a referral to attend a group for guys who sleep with other guys, I guess it's a group for downlow men, not too sure if I'll attend though. Even though it's way too early to breathe a sigh of relief, I am feeling a bit more optimistic about remaining negative.

I'll be getting myself tested for all other STDs in about a week. I'm holding on to hope that those will be negative as well. I'll also try to resist the temptation of going and getting myself HIV tested again for at least another 5 weeks or so. Man, this waiting is going to send me through the roof...

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5161

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3