Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
jambo
Fanatic

Reged: 04/08/06
For Anon One, oil and condoms
      #226983 - 05/07/07 09:45 PM

Anon One

your response to my earlier post was reassuring, but i am now coming across a number of experts saying that oil causes microscopic tears and holes in condoms, which are not visible to the eye.

what should i make of this.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jackie__Blue
Legend

Reged: 01/20/07
Re: For Anon One, oil and condoms new
      #226985 - 05/08/07 04:41 AM

When are you going to post the links to these reputable experts so we all can read this information?

jambo
Fanatic

#226986 - 05/08/07 04:54 AM

Anon One

I am copying three that i can easily find on this very site. what would you say to these...they are all from the docs on this site, except Dr bob who disagrees it seems.

http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/SafeSex/Archive/PreventionSexual/Q142995.html

"Prior to the condom breaking, there could be some microscopic damage to the condom that would not be visible to the naked eye. For this reason, it's best to avoid using oil-based lubricants altogether and eliminate the guesswork."

http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/SafeSex/Archive/PreventionSexual/Q8926.html

"Hi. Thank you for your question. When latex comes in contact with anything that is oil-based, a chemical reaction occurs which breaks down and weakens the latex, making it more likely to have small holes in it, and finally leading to breakage of the condom."

http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/SafeSex/Archive/PreventionSexual/Q144387.html

"Using oil-based lubricants on a latex condom can damage the condom, allowing HIV to penetrate the membrane, or making the condom more susceptible to tearing or breakage. If you use oil on a latex condom, you must take into consideration that the condom might not have been effective in protecting you against HIV and some other STDs, even though it was probably better than not using a condom at all."

Jackie__Blue
Legend

Reged: 01/20/07
      #226989 - 05/08/07 08:09 AM

From a Q&A from 2003 – 4 years ago.

"Using oil-based lubricants on a latex condom can damage the condom, allowing HIV to penetrate the membrane, or making the condom more susceptible to tearing or breakage. If you use oil on a latex condom, you must take into consideration that the condom might not have been effective in protecting you against HIV and some other STDs, even though it was probably better than not using a condom at all."

From a Q&A from 2002 - 5 years ago. You need pay attention to the words in CAPS.

Prior to the condom breaking, there COULD be some miscroscopic damage to the condom that would not be visible to the naked eye. For this reason, it’s best to avoid using oil-based lubricants altogether and eliminate the quesswork.

Try not (to) OBSESS too much about what happened. It is quite UNLIKELY that you were at any significant risk for infection in the incident that you describe.

1999 – 8 years ago. Notice he doesn’t say that HIV passes through holes. He says “AND FINALLY LEADING TO BREAKAGE OF THE CONDOM.

NOW – Let’s take a look at the other side.

From May 2006 – 1 year ago. About an answer he gave in 2003 – 4 years ago

http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/SafeSex/Archive/PreventionSexual/Q174727.html

Is the following still true?

Oil-based lubricants can weaken latex condoms, but if your buddys raincoat didn’t break, you are at no increased risk. OIL DOESN’T RENDER A CONDOM INEFFECTIVE. IT JUST CAN WEAKEN IT, INCREASING THE LIKEILHOOD IT WILL BREAK….

His Answer –

Yep, my advice remains the same

From the MAYO Clinic – Current Information Web Page

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hiv-aids/DS00005/DSECTION=9

Use a new latex or polyurethane condom every time you have sex. If you don't know the HIV status of your partner, use a new latex condom every time you have anal or vaginal sex. If you're allergic to latex, use a plastic (polyurethane) condom. Avoid lambskin condoms — they do not protect you from HIV. If you don't have a male condom, use a female condom. Use only water-based lubricants, not petroleum jelly, cold cream or oils. OIL-BASED LUBRICANTS CAN WEAKEN CONDOMS AND CAUSE THEM TO BREAK. During oral sex use a condom,dental dam — a piece of medical-grade latex —or plastic wrap. Remember that although condoms can reduce your risk of contracting HIV, they don't eliminate the risk entirely. Condoms can break or develop small tears, and they may not always be used properly.

The Red Cross - From 1998 - Children, Parents and HIV

http://www.redcross.org/services/hss/hivaids/27377.pdf

Use a water-based lubricant on the outside of the condom so that it is less likely to break. Do not use oil-based lubricants (such as petroleum jelly, shortening, mineral oil, massage oil and body lotion). OIL BASED LUBRICANTS CAN CAUSE A CONDOM TO BREAK.

AIDSMEDS Lessons – How HIV is transmitted. A word about lubricants

http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/Transmission_9967.shtml

Never use oil-based lubricants, including hand or body lotion, baby oil, vegetable oil or shortening, massage oil, mineral oil, or petroleum jelly (e.g., Vaseline®). OIL-BASED LUBRICANTS CAN DAMAGE LATEX AND CAUSE LATEX CONDOMS TO TEAR MORE EASILY.

From further back than your information reputable organizations have talked about Oil and Latex condoms in terms of breakage. None of the information I have posted even hints at the problem being small holes being created that allow the virus to pass through.

Remember that much of the information that has been given in the past has been refuted by newer studies that shed more light on the whole subject. Of course you will believe as you want. And if you prefer to give yourself a reason to keep your mind negatively occupied and held captive by fear you are certainly free to do so. BUT, this really isn’t about HIV. When do you plan to stop hiding behind these unfound fears of yours and deal with whatever it is that you keep running away from?

jambo
Fanatic

#226998 - 05/08/07 10:59 AM

Anon One

I want to say a number of things to you...

you take so much trouble to put situations for many like us in a perspective - i really admire you for that. you have hit the nail on the head at the end of your post. my problems are multiple and i can keep rambling on and on about my failures in behavior, but i guess you have seen previous posts to know what this all is about. that there are people like you who take the time to help is what keeps people like me sane.

someone said to me that this is my way to punish myself for the guilt that accompanies my acts...i have been through counseling since the last time and seemed to be making progress. now another drunken night and another relapse barely 5-6 months after the previous one. enough of it.

there is real fear in my mind, not only of hiv but also of how to handle things in my relationship...on the particular issue of oil etc, one part of me wants to fully believe what you say, but there is another part which goes back to the internet and to the contrary views.

the issue, as is evident with my posts and yours, is that around the same time there were two different opinions (2003 or 2004). now i do not find anything that tells me that one of the opinions has been proven wrong by science. your posts help, and i have myself spent hours on the internet trying to piece it all together, but still cannot find scientific info that dispels the thoughts on the issue.

that said, i think it is time for me to bury this line of thinking. i will try to do that, and in the meantime want to thank you for helping out. you are a nice person.

jambo

jambo
Fanatic

#227015 - 05/09/07 06:31 AM

Anon One

how i wish i can say, yes you are right and move on with life and all the other issues that i should confront.

your post has eased my mind somewhat, thank you for that. you know i will not be able to rest until the test has been taken...though i guess you would say it is not necessary. i have another 3 months of hanging between two worlds.

jambo

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2445

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3