Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
brworried

Reged: 02/17/07
exposed and freaking out...
      #224607 - 02/17/07 09:01 PM

I ran into an old friend (someone I briefly dated several years ago) and we agreed to get together for dinner. We had a good evening...just kissing...and the next day, i agreed to visit. He told me that he was positive and while I was not sure what that would mean long term, I really enjoyed our time together and we ended up talking very candidly about the disease and how he has dealt with it.

Nevertheless, we becamse very aroused while watching a movie and ended up kissing ("french" or open-mouth kissing) and removed our clothes. We ended up making out and he ended up ejaculating. While there was absolutely no penetration, the ejaculate ended up on my stomach, near the navel (belly button) area. I immediatley wiped the ejaculate off and have been freaking out ever since. I was not prepared for him to do this and was suprised that it happened so quickly.

I respect this person a lot and was aware of his status, and he has assured me that he would not place me in a high risk situation, but i feel as though this was certainly a high risk situation...

Am I overreacting?

Should I go and start taking the post exposure prophylactic medication?

While I know I need to be tested, it has been 26 hours since the exposure. Is there an anonymous test that will test this early?

What about the kissing? I see "no HIV in saliva" everywhere, but is there ANY risk, no matter how low, for exposure from kissing?

PLEASE HELP ME...I AM VERY CONFUSED AND HAVE RAN INTO CONFLICTING INFORMATION...

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jackie__Blue
Legend

Reged: 01/20/07
Re: exposed and freaking out... new
      #224608 - 02/17/07 09:40 PM

You are over-reacting and a BIG NO to the PEP. It's for use when a person has a REAL risk, such as unprotected vagainal or anal sex with an HIV+ person.

It's true that Saliva is not infectious, but there is more. There are proteins in saliva that inhibit the virus and cause it to lose it's ability to infect.

The above is probably a major reason why no one has ever become infected from kissing...or getting a blow job for that matter. Close or Open-Mouth. French Kiss to your hearts content. You won't get HIV that way. Might get some other STI's from that, but not HIV.

So, he ejaculated on your stomach. Skin is an effective barrier to transmission. You certainly were NOT at risk with that.

There are very special cells that can facilitate transmission. Those found in the mucous lining as found in the vagina and Anus. And Dentric (sp?) cells found on the underside of the foreskin on uncirmcusized men.

Your friend assured you that he would not place you at high risk. Your friend placed you at NO risk. He kept his promise.

HIV is going to be around for a long time. You have a choice. Learn the actual facts about how HIV is transmitted or continue to OVER-REACT over non issues.

brworried

Reged: 02/17/07
      #224610 - 02/17/07 09:53 PM

i have attempted to thoroughly educate myself about these risks and was just "freaked out" by conflicting information.

I appreciate the information you have provided. Can you recommend any websites or periodicals, journals, etc. that may provide me with more education on the topic.

I am just nervous, and really want to be mature, educated and open-minded when approaching this topic.

I have very little experience or exposure to individuals with the virus...

Regarding me freaking out..it is my natural response. So, the PEP is not necessary?

How soon can I get tested to put this anxiety to rest?

Jackie__Blue
Legend

Reged: 01/20/07
      #224611 - 02/17/07 10:06 PM

No. PEP isn't needed. As you can see by this guide by the CDC, kissing and frottage are not even on the list.

The John Hopkins site is a good site for additional information also.

http://qa.hopkins-aids.org/forum/view_question.html?section_id=61&id=105753&category_id=90

Most people that are infected will test postive between 4-6 weeks. The CDC says that 3 months is conclusive.

You do not need to test for HIV over this incident, however if you have never had a test it's a good thing to know your status. If you are sexually active you should get a test once a year as part of your routine health care.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3022

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3