Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
hetero

Reged: 01/27/07
Exposure to Fluids?
      #223891 - 01/27/07 04:41 AM

After a visit to a sex worker, I am worried about my chances of contracting HIV from exposure to vaginal fluids. I used a condom, but am afraid that some fluids may find its way to the top of the penis, and somehow I will be exposed. In this body, condoms are marketed as 100% safe, but what is the risk of exposure to fluids when the condom is pulled from the penis? There are fluids everywhere on the condom, and outer ring of the condom has to pass through the head of the penis when I pull ithe condom out..is this safe? Any techniques for safer condom use?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
scared83

Reged: 01/24/07
Re: Exposure to Fluids? new
      #223902 - 01/27/07 11:59 PM

If you used a condom, you're clean. CDC says that 5 in 10,000 contract HIV when haveing UNPROTECTED sex with an HIV POSITIVE partner. You used a condom, so your chances are probably 1 in 10,000. If you're still worried, get a test at 4-6 weeks or 3 months. I'm confident you're fine. Fluids dont just "leak" through.

Jackie__Blue
Legend

Reged: 01/20/07
      #223906 - 01/28/07 09:43 AM

You used a condom, you had NO risk. Would you have been as worried if the sex had been with some nice women you picked up at a party and proceeded to have protected sex? The odds of transmission are the same, which in your case was nil.

Now I know you're going to continue to ask about the fluids on the outside. So.....

#1. HIV has been around for 25 years. No one has ever become infected from taking off a condom.

#2. HIV is an extremely fragile virus. It rapidly loses it's ability to transmit outside the body. It dies when exposed to air.

If you look at a list of risks, one thing pops out immediately. In all cases transmission occurs when HIV is introduced to a new host WITHIN the body. ie: anal or vaginal sex. Giving head. Needles. All risks occur within the body, not outside such as you find when taking off a condom.

You had protected sex. You didn't have a risk.

Jackie__Blue
Legend

Tacky new
      #223907 - 01/28/07 09:46 AM

[quote]If you used a condom, you're clean. [/quote]

I'm sure all the people Living with HIV that pop by will appreciate knowing you think people with HIV are dirty.

Great way to win friends and influence people.

hetero

Reged: 01/27/07
      #223973 - 01/31/07 10:02 AM

Thanks anon for your reassuring reply. yes, the risk is greater with a sex worker than with someone else. I still think that there is a slight possiblity of infection--if somehow fluids from the condom came in contact with the urethra. well, thats just my worry...that instead of being 99% effective, condom use is only 80% effective.

Jackie__Blue
Legend

#223974 - 01/31/07 10:25 AM

[quote] yes, the risk is greater with a sex worker than with someone else. [/quote]

PEOPLE are not risky. Activities you chose to partake in are or are NOT risky. Unprotected sex with ANYONE is risky. PROTECTED sex with ANYONE is NOT risky.

Again protected sex with a sex worker carries the same risk as protected sex with any other woman in the general population. Risk factors are not assigned based on the 'who' and rightly so.

By persisting in this errounous belief, you are guilty of perpuating the stigma that people with HIV have to fight daily. Not to mention the volumes you just said about yourself with your apparent loathing and disregard for the women you chose to have sex with. Your problem isn't about HIV. It goes much deeper than that.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2447

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3