Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Symptom: Diarrhea
      #223501 - 01/22/07 06:17 PM

Hello all. I am currently in limbo between having a high-risk exposure and my window period of 3-months. I have some questions. I have not been experiencing any of the known symptoms besides diarrhea. Can anyone here explain to me exactly the type/amount experienced is associated with it. I know its a pretty disgusting topic but I find myself having to go to the restroom 3 or 4 times a day now. I want to know how bad the stool is in this symptom.

Keeping my fingers crossed that it's something else....

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Symptom: Diarrhea new
      #223504 - 01/22/07 06:29 PM

So do you know how many illness and conditions include the 'symptom' of diarrhea?

It can be caused by any number of things from a low level intestinal bug, mediications to stress. Sorry but any discussion of your poo is not going to be useful.

Get a test at 6 weeks. Most people seroconvert at about 25 days and about 99% of people infected will test postive between 4-6 weeks. A negative at that point, just means that you will also have a negative at 3 months.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#223505 - 01/22/07 06:33 PM

As childish as this may sound, your use of the word "poo" lightened my mood.

Quick question about your stats that you listed. If I was on PEP, would that mask the correct results of the test if taken 25 days (or 6 weeks for that matter) after exposure.

Question #2 (and I probably should search the forum for this but...): When having high-risk unprotected vaginal sex with a woman. Does that guarantee the negative partner to contract the virus?

Thank You, everyone on this board has been great and I wish all of you the best.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#223508 - 01/22/07 06:48 PM

If you are taking PEP then the window period starts the day you stop taking PEP. So if you took PEP for a month, then a conclusive result would be at 4 months after the exposure. Any testing done while taking PEP would not be valid.

As a side note. If you are on PEP, I betcha I know what is causing your diarreha. HIV meds are well known for that side effect. I've found immudioum works wonders.

Question #2.

According to the CDC the risk from UNPROTECTED insertive vaginal with a woman KNOWN to have HIV is 5 in 10,000 per occurance. So no, being exposed by no means guarantees infection.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#223515 - 01/22/07 07:04 PM

THANK YOU SO MUCH. And no, I'm not on PEP anymore, I stopped taking that two weeks ago so I'm pretty sure the diarrhea is not due to that. I am on Paxil so that may be the cause but I'm not sure.

Anyway, I didn't understand your answer. If the "exposure" was on the 12th of December, and then I started PEP on the 14th of December until the 14th of January (2007), if i took an HIV test today, would it be conclusive? Or are you saying I won't have a conclusive test until mid April?

Thank You!!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#223516 - 01/22/07 07:17 PM

A conclusive test would be 3 months after stopping PEP.

So yes, mid - April would be when a test would be considered conclusive.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#223522 - 01/22/07 07:45 PM

One last question....When you say the CDC stats that (roughly) only 5 in 10k contract HIV through unprotected vaginal sex with an HIV+ partner....that seems like a head-scratcher.

Doesn't that seem WAAAAYYYY to low? I mean, it kind of makes it seem like HIV is almost impossible to contract in such a "high-risk" situation.

Thanks...just to let you know, you've brightened my day significantly. I can't thank you enough.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#223525 - 01/22/07 08:05 PM

Actually insertive vaginal is not considered that high of a risk. It's not easy for the virus to be transmitted from a woman to a man as vice versus. Which is why receptive vaginal is a higher risk.

There are several other actviies that are much risker.

Risk Estimates published by the CDC in their new PEP guideline document (January 21, 2005):
(http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/rr5402a1.htm)

Exposure Route Risk per 10,000 exposures
to an infected source

Blood Transfusion 9,000
Needle-sharing 67
Receptive Anal 50
Percutaneous Needlestick 30
Receptive Vaginal 10
Insertive Anal 6.5
Insertive Vaginal 5
Receptive Oral 1
Insertive Oral 0.5

Primary Source of the estimates:
Varghese B, Maher JE, Peterman TA, Branson BM, Steketee RW
Quantifying the reduction in risk for HIV infection by choice of partner, sex act and condom use

METHODS: We constructed decision-tree models to calculate the overall relative risk (RR) for HIV infection using estimates of HIV prevalence; risk of condom failure (5%); sensitivity (97.9%) and specificity of HIV test for infection (99.9%); per-act RR of HIV transmission from an infected partner: insertive fellatio (1, referent), receptive fellatio (2), insertive vaginal sex (10), receptive vaginal sex (20), insertive anal sex (13), receptive anal sex (100). Absolute risks were calculated using our RR estimates, based on a per-act risk of 0.1% for male-to-female HIV transmission during unprotected receptive vaginal sex

http://qa.hopkins-aids.org/forum/view_question.html?section_id=61&id=105753&category_id=90

See, the thing is that for each occurance the odds are not that great, but you just don't know if that time that beats the odds and you become infected will be never, or next year, of if it will come around next time.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#223761 - 01/24/07 02:05 AM

Stress is a huge factor that causes diarrhea. there is a nervous system response that is the cause. constant worry stimulates your autonomic nervous system (the system that you cannot voluntarily control). all kind of physiological events take place with constants stress.
I did the same thing you did about a year ago. I stressed to the point where I would get online in the middle of the night to try to find somebody to give me an answer. You must not go on symptoms, there are too many variables that cause these so called HIV symptoms.
I recommend getting on the CDC (center for disease control) website and check out their exposure/risk info. It is recent research that I think will make you feel much better after seeing it.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4791

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3