Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Clock
Unregistered

What are my chances?
      #22319 - 09/12/01 02:39 AM

First of all, my sympathy and support for all Americans and prayers specially for those affected by the terrorist attacks.

On a micro scale:
I was confirmed having HSV after an exposure. I am very depressed and scared, could someone please help me interpret these HIV test results.

After: 27 days
AB test: Neg
PCR Test: <50 copies
Western Blot: Neg

After six weeks:
AB: Neg

Is this any use at this moment and would 12 weeks AB test confirm my HIV status. I am very scared not just for myself but more for my partner.

Please help me get through this.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Revealed
Unregistered

Re: What are my chances? new
      #22324 - 09/12/01 11:47 AM

HSV is common in much of the population, and I "have-heard" some reports estimate nearly 1 in 3 persons has the disease (Now don't quote my statistics, it is just very common but unknown). The disease remains in remission in most persons, and may show as genital warts, etc. Your HIV tests are negative and you should feel nearly confident that you do not have the disorder. One piece of advice, my partner and I had unsafe sex numerous times before we were both tested...he consequently tested positive and I tested negative. I would not recommend engaging in sexual activity unsafely if you have in any way been unsafe in the past and not confirmed your status by testing. Also your level of trust in a relationship should be put in perspective...too often people are permiscuous---not referring to anyone in specific, but you are at risk if your partner does not remain monogomous and hinders the information from you. I was fortunate to have remained negative, but others are no so fortunate. You can feel highly confident that you are not positive, but follow up with a 3 month test. Also, should you show symptoms of HSV your risk for HIV during unsafe sexual activity may be heightened, and HSV has a higher risk of being passed to your partner when these symptoms appear. My recommendation is to always use protection regardless of the status of the relationship, but of course I am basing that on my own experiences. Good Luck

Revealed

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1060

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3