Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Seroconversion after 13 weeks?
      #220796 - 01/04/07 07:07 PM

Last year I had unprotected sex with a person who later turned out to be HIV positive (I know stupid). I took an hiv test 15 weeks later and tested NEG.

It is almost a year later. I have had various strange symptoms such as night sweats, neuropathy, underarm pain, joint pain, etc.

I am getting tested tonight, not the rapid test, but the standard test.

What are my chances that my test results in the past were wrong and that I am positive now.

Since that stupid incident I have done NOTHING unsafe sexually, so if I have it, I know it was somehow related to the unprotected incident in question.

Please, don't be mean, rude, or flippant.

Thanks

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Seroconversion after 13 weeks? new
      #220798 - 01/04/07 07:22 PM

There are cases where one person in a relationship has HIV and the other partner has stayed negative, even after sometimes years and years of unprotected sex. It proves that exposure to the virus does not equal automatic infection.

So just because the person you had sex with is HIV+ doesn't mean you are and that has already been proven with your conclusive test.

This new test result will be no different.

As a side note: Just for you all to think about.

I constantly see people referecing symptoms of all types as the reason they disbelieve their test results. The fact you all experience chronic symptoms early on in your perceived infections overlooks the fact that people that are actually infected don't have a bunch of health issues spurred on by HIV for many years.

Remember this is one of the reasons that a 3rd of the people living with HIV don't even know it. They haven't felt they had an exposure, they haven't bothered to test, whatever the reason.

People with HIV (both the ones that know and the ones that don't) are walking around healthy, happy and infected opposed to the Worried well that walk around thinking death is around the corner, unhappy, wasting away their lives in a way HIV never could..... and all the while they are uninfected.

If this had been any other type of test would you dismiss valid results as easily?

Anonymous
Unregistered

#220807 - 01/04/07 09:09 PM

Why do most people disbelieve their results? Everybody tends to think they'll be an extremely rare case...

15 weeks should be -even more than- enough.

Symptoms are not used to diagnose hiv infection... why? because they're not especific, not every recently infected person experiences them... and most of the people who do experience them, tend to turn out negative.

And... one year later you start with them? C'mon... they're not exactly really strange symptoms: we all may sweat at night, have joint pain, etc... we're human.

Just one more thing... you ask us not to be mean, rude or flippant... but this things do not have to be explicit. In fact, the 'I had unprotected sex with a person who later turned out to be hiv positive (I know stupid)'... may sound pretty offensive, too. You know, many people here would just happen to be(or have been) in the same situation you describe as being stupid... you can keep that description to yourself if you want to see yourself as stupid.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#220817 - 01/04/07 10:23 PM

Please, don't be mean, rude, or flippant
------------------------------------------------------------
When you post on a board you should expect anything.
Why not be flippant? If you found this board you have to know you will test the same as before. You are wasting time here. Find some other form of entertainment.

MiamiLat
Regular

Reged: 12/30/05
Loc: Miami, FL
      #220823 - 01/05/07 12:19 AM

Based on my research and personal experience, you should expect your result to be the same as your 15 wks test: NEG. That is, if you have not re-exposed yourself as you say...

--------------------
"Education, prevention, awareness, research, and support"

Anonymous
Unregistered

#220858 - 01/05/07 12:24 PM

Well, took the rapid test last night. NEG.

The reason I requested that people not be mean, rude, or flippant is because a little kindness and compassion is appreciated when a person is dealing with a stressful situation.

It is easy to be a real nasty person when you hide behind the safety of your computer screen, but remember, kindness travels, whether through internet communication or face to face contact.

I suspect that some of the nastier people here don't have the courage to be such unkind individuals in real life. I suspect if they did they would get knocked onto their proverbial asses a few times.

To those who were kind, thank you.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#220860 - 01/05/07 01:01 PM

Well glad you tested negative. No surprise. Now you can blightly move on in your life without a second thought. However, you SHOULD be thinking.

Did you ever think of the harm you do when you don't trust your results. Believe it or not, people that refuse to believe their test results because they coddle an unrealistic fear of this disease do great harm to those of us that Live with HIV. You continue to spread the stigma whether through the internet or face to face. Many times what you preceive to be meanness and rudeness is actually frustration from people with HIV that are tired of people beind so scared and irrational about this disease that they don't see how their distrust of a simple test is just the iceberg of their fear and yes, distrust of being around people with HIV.

It's mean and rude. And you asked that you be treated better than many that YOU want support from.

Something for you to think about.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#220881 - 01/05/07 03:39 PM

"It's mean and rude. And you asked that you be treated better than many that YOU want support from. z'

I asked the question in a polite fashion. Human beings are allowed to have doubts. I had a right to ask a question and did it in a polite and respectful manner. I also took the bull by the horns and got tested. I just wanted a little reassurance, so sue me.

Your degree of anger is out of proportion with the level of insensitivity you perceive me to have displayed by merely asking a question. Perhaps you should address your anger managment issues, or perhaps a forum where people come to for advice is a little beyond your level of patience or compassion.

Also, anger that is far out of proportion to that act that triggered your anger is one sign of "Borderline Personality Disorder". Your shoot from the lip, rude approach indicates that you have some issues to deal with.

Try showing compassion, or volunteer somewhere your level of compassion might be better suited, perhaps the Republican National Commitee.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#220883 - 01/05/07 04:10 PM

OK whatever.

Many times it's the constant need for reassurance because of emotional issues that causes people to continue testing after they already have conclusive results, such as yourself. It's these same issues that cause them to haunt these boards.

I gave you honest feedback about how these types of situations make me feel. Well not just me. See I do volunteer. I work with my local ASO, peer counselor for newly infected and in education. I spend a lot of time trying to dispell the very fear you operate under.

What I find amusing, is that you just dismiss my feelings out of hand. So basically you just told someone with HIV to go screw themselves, that you don't care if you insult or cause them any type of pain, because you are MORE important.

And you say I show no compassion.

My compassion does have a limit. It ends with people that have conclusive negative results, but allow their fears to dictate their lives. It is true. I see allowing fear to run you as an excuse for not running your own life.

If you had never had a conclusive result, my answers to you would be much different.

Now on these boards, which I have been on for over 6 years, I understand that this subject matter attracts many people with issues that they chose not to look at and use HIV as the excuse to avoid the pain of what's really going on with them. However, people's emotional issues are NOT a reason for me to allow them to downgrade me or other's that live with HIV by allowing their fear to demonize this disease. It's just a disease, but so many with other issues, just don't see that.

As far as the anger. Check out the responses. Mine to you yesterday was very polite. Mine to you today was polite, but it did seem to hit a nerve in you, perhaps you did recognize yourself in what I said, hence the venom in this last post of yours.

Again, just something for you to think about.

I guess I will just chalk your irrational paranoid fear of a disease you already knew you didn't have to what? OCD, or any number or

Anonymous
Unregistered

#220888 - 01/05/07 06:02 PM

I asked a question in a calm and rational manner. Perhaps the years you have been "reaching out" have burnt you out. Perhaps it is time to take a break. Too many people in helping professions need professional help themselves. Your response to me went far beyond my simple question. You painted me with a broad brush and lashed out not only at me but at all those who seem to be taxing your nerves.

This type of work requires those who have the patience to perform without acting like an angry, bitter and toxic person.

I have done a ton of volunteer work as well. I just needed a little comfort and reassurance. Surely one with your many many many years of experience should be able to draw from this experience and understand that.

If you cannot do this "job" with a kind heart and spirit perhaps it is time to move on and try something else. Others have responded with kindness and compassion. Maybe it is time to adjust your meds, seek a new therapist or join a new yoga class.

Volunteering provides no excuse to behave like a cold, flippant unfeeling person. If volunteering gets to be too much for you to handle then try something else. Sometimes the nastiest people go into fields such as nursing in order to prove to the world or at least to themselves that they are not complete monsters. There is a high incidence of Borderline Personality Disorder among professionals in the helping profession.

Try being nice. If you are running out of patience, you shouldn't be using this as your own personal bitch platform.

Just sayin.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#220895 - 01/05/07 07:52 PM

Get a life will ya!! Are you now going to turn the board into the toughy feely thing it was a year ago? You posted, got some answers that's all you should expect. We do not need to be lectured by you. have a nice life.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#220909 - 01/05/07 10:44 PM

I understand how this behavior (irrational fear of HIV) can be hurtful to those who ARE positive.
But there are reasons, sometimes biological, for the fear. OCD and other anxiety disorders can hold a person hostage. They DONT want to feel this way. They just don't kow how not to.
That being said, the proper thing to do is seek therapy, not pester people with HIV about the disease. This is a Am I infected forum though, so I'd expect to read this kind of thing.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#221114 - 01/09/07 01:20 AM

I guarantee that time will heal your irrational fear. I used to be just like you, but now I know am negative. Whenever some weird symptom appears, HIV doesn't even cross my mind.

Try not to think about it. I know that's easier said than done, but keep on reminding yourself that the fear will pass.

Matt.

63 yo man
Unregistered

#221168 - 01/09/07 12:57 PM

I think you will find that the person who posted (i know,stupid) was referring to the fact that she had intercourse without a condom, she was not making reference to the partner having hiv+, i' have no idea who is posting answers to this woman, but it is time for you to go...I can't believe some of your answers to this women...as a man i find you extreamly arrogrant and rude. if you wish to go toe to toe with me do so please ICQ415 755 617
wattlebloom@people.net.au and my name is BEN..and i'm just under 64yo.....just for the record you are comeing accross as a
cold heartless "person" with a ton of self made hangups

Anonymous
Unregistered

#221173 - 01/09/07 01:23 PM

The issue is what she said in her first post about testing.

"I took an hiv test 15 weeks later and tested NEG."

It's the fact that the poster (why do you assume a she) did not believe the conclusive test result. Odd are if the poster had not known her partner was HIV+ that test result would have been enough. It's that mind set that I was posting about and as another poster pointed out. This board is full of people that use HIV as a way not to focus on their real problems.

I've seen your posts. I also have gathered from them that you are not HIV+, nor gay.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8308

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3