Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Seroconversion at one year?
      #220568 - 01/02/07 08:12 PM

Why do the nurses that I have talked with recommend HIV testing at 3 months, 6 months, and one final one at a year? They said that different people take different lengths of time to produce antibodies, and you can't be sure until one year after unsafe sex. Any advice?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Seroconversion at one year? new
      #220573 - 01/02/07 09:37 PM

Just talk with real nurses that have a degree, not the candy stripers.

Next time an uneducated nurse tells you a year, ask them why the CDC says 3 months? See how they dance around that one.

MiamiLat
Guardian

Reged: 12/30/05
Loc: Miami, FL
      #220584 - 01/03/07 01:07 AM

Hello "Anon",
Check my posts and you will see I tested at 3, 6, and 12 mos after an unsafe exposure with same result: NEGATIVE.
Window period is 3 mos unless you have a very suppressed immune system (you would know if you do). In that case, a 6 mos test would be reasonable.
It is safe to say no one seroconverts after 6 mos. I just kept testing due to my "anxiety disorder".

--------------------
"Education, prevention, awareness, research, and support"

Anonymous
Unregistered

#220612 - 01/03/07 09:24 AM

Simple they are grossly ill informed and probably too lazy to read up on current data.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#220621 - 01/03/07 02:39 PM

Thanks guys.
The nurses I spoke with said that the MD's they work with recommend the final one year test, one said that was if you knew that the other person had HIV (which doesn't make sense to me, because anyone could have HIV, whether you know it or not).
I did test after the 6 months mark ,and just wanted to make sure I didn't need to test more. I keep getting folliculitis and huge canker sores, but I bet it's from the stress in my life.
Thanks again.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#221018 - 01/07/07 06:38 PM

This is a very touchy subject. Those that want the worried people to calm down want to emphasize that 6 weeks is awesome, and three months is essentially perfect. That being said there are cautious physicians out there who do recommend a conservative approach to testing for HIV after a real potential risky exposure. For example Dr. Daar on this site recommends testing out to a year if there was a strong risk (such as unprotected sexual relations with a known HIV positive person that was followed by symptoms).

Please keep in mind that most people asking questions here don't fit into this category that might call for conservative testing. Few of them actually had contact with an HIV + person to start with, and most of them engaged in behavior that is not high risk anyway. You really need to fall into a small category of people to justify testing out beyond 3 months.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#221021 - 01/07/07 07:47 PM

Since you didn't bother to link the post by Dr. Darr it's hard to see what circumstances he was talking about. I also tend to discount people when they say someone says something and are reluctant to provide the source document.

I checked out his recent replys on this site and didn't see any about diagonostic testing. It seems his replys are for people that are under treatement for their HIV and the replies focus on issues and tests that are performed for the health care of those individuals.

Also in this day and age there would be no reason to have to test out that far. If someone had an encounter with someone with HIV that was unprotected and IF someone had symptoms, there would be a viral load. Just what do you think they symptoms stem from? It is the body fighting off the virus and the virus fights back by multipling rapidly. That's why people that are infected test postive after having symptoms.

HIV isn't some magical disease. With P24, NAT and ELISA, there is no real reason to have to go beyond 6 weeks except for peace of mind.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#221026 - 01/07/07 09:38 PM

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I recall a few responses by Dr. Daar that advocated at least 6 months. The one below seems to say six months and possibly a year but he says a year is not mandated unless PEP was used:

http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/TreatExp/Current/Q176902.html

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2766

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3