Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

10-13 days for flu like symptoms possilbe?
      #220213 - 12/28/06 07:02 PM

Is 10-13 days to early for the "flu like symptoms", ie, fever, aches/pains, etc. to show up if someone possilby has developed ARS.

I am a possible risk, male, only unprotected oral sex in the last 6 months, neg. prior to that, with individuals of unknown risk. I had unprotected sex with my partner for the first time in more than 6 months, who developed aches and pains about 10 full days after our intercourse and still has them and possibly a slight fever now 13 days after intercourse.

I think I am feeling guilty about the "outside the relationship" oral encounters but my partner hasn't been sick in a long time and we havent had sex in a long time, and the irony has me thinking a bit to much.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: 10-13 days for flu like symptoms possilbe? new
      #220216 - 12/28/06 07:22 PM

Poster of the subject here. fyi, I will be getting tested but have not been yet and results are a while away and I know symptoms are not an indication of ARS. I also understand the flu like symptoms associated with ARS usually develop within 2-6 weeks of exposure. I'd just like to understand the largely understood timeline of ARS a little better for my partners sake. I'm hoping there is too much irony in the timing and mostly,just how unlikely it is that my partner could be have been affected by my actions.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#220249 - 12/29/06 07:34 AM

ARS typically occurs between 2-4 weeks. Sometimes sooner. Sometimes later.

The key here is not your symptoms. It is you risk. You didn't specifiy what kind of oral, insertive or giving.

The only risk toward transmission would be if you were giving oral with ejaculation and that carries about a 1 in 10,000 chance when your partner is indeed infected. There has never been a confirmed case of transmission from getting a blow job. Not one in over 25 years. If oral is your only concern, it's extremely unlikely you would have become infected.

Now about your second post.
If you want to protect your partner, the way to do that is NOT by trying to figure out when your ARS occurs. Many people suffer no symptoms. People in the early stages of infection are also HIGHLY infectious because the viral load sky rockets in early infection. This is stuff you need to understand. Not an ARS timeline.

Bottom line. If you feel you may have been at risk and there is a possiblity that you became infected, then you have the moral responsiblity to protect your partners. That means use condoms or abstain until you have your results. Also, don't forget that HIV is not the only STI around and that several STI are very easily passed orally.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#220267 - 12/29/06 08:34 AM

The oral sex was insertive, I got a blow job from a female. No blood in her saliva, mouth, etc. that I ever saw. Am I correct in saying, she would have to have bloody sores, bloody gums, cuts, etc. in her mouth so that she had blood in her mouth and saliva, in which case it would have to enter my urethrea or would it have to enter a sore on my penis to possibly infect me? What is the possible method of transfer in the case of oral sex?

Since I posted, I have read more and it seems that receiving oral sex in this fashion is very low risk theoretically and realistically highly unlikely, something I realised at the time which is the only reason I did it in the first place. I read as much as I could but did not see the info you cite, and never any numbers. I have not read anywhere, but there is an aura of cover the remote possibility, in what I read, that it is as low as you indicate, ie. no reported cases of HIV in 25 years from receiving a blow job. That would say to me, receiving a blow job is no risk, not low risk given my circumstances. I guess the medical community has to allow for, and this is a bad anaology but, it is possible to hit the lottery, if you buy a ticket. It could happen, but......

As far as the rest of what you said, you are absolutely correct and I appreciate it. I have to change this lifestyle to protect my partner, period. Not that it makes it any better but my intent was to stop my behavior, test, clear myself and then hopefully resume relations with my partner, but when the opportunity came up to have sex, after almost a year, it was hard to resist but that is what I have to be prepared for and protect myself better so I don't ever have this concern again.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#220268 - 12/29/06 08:38 AM

Oh, something else you said I am interested in. You said other STI are transferable orally. I didnt know that. Do you have a suggestion where I can get more information on this, what types, etc?

Anonymous
Unregistered

#220272 - 12/29/06 09:36 AM

Sexually Transmitted Infections

http://health.rutgers.edu/brochures/sti.htm

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3069

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3