Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Anxiety and symptoms
      #217766 - 12/09/06 11:06 PM

If you have anxiety and are experiencing a host of symptoms and are convinced you have contracted HIV, then let me relay my experience. In February I had unprotected sex with a stripper at a hotel room. This included oral (give and receive) and about 15 minutes of vaginal penetration. I had been drinking and the fact that she had mentioned rehab for IV drug use never registered in my mind until afterward. The next day I felt a tingling sensation at the tip of my penis and was convinced that I had an STD. For the next week I continually felt malaise and a burning sensation in my penis. Finally, exactly one week after the encounter, I had a white discharge from my penis which I was sure was an STD. I went to the doctor that day and he did a swab and said he would go ahead and treat me for both gonnorhea and chlamydia. We discussed an HIV test but since my exposure was only a week away we agreed that it would be too early to test. He also said that the chances of testing positive we less than 1%. I took two different antibiotics and he called me a couple of days later and said that the swab he took had an expiration date on it so they would not do the test at the lab for liability purposes. I told him my symptoms had cleared.

From that point I began to worry about HIV. I consumed myself with the stats and probabilities and symptoms of acute exposure. At exactly 28 days from my possible exposure I felt hot all day at work. When I got home, I took my temp and it kept coming up normal. Even though I was feeling very hot. That night I woke up drenched in sweat. I did have on pajamas which I rarely wear but even if I do, I never sweat profusely. I didn't go back to sleep. That morning the temperature outside was below freezing. I got into my car and still felt hot despite the temps in my car being frigid. Of course I was convinced I was seroconverting. When I got to work I had went to bathroom and had mild diarrhea. Now I was convinced. The rest of the week I was a wreck. I consumed more time researching. However, I still knew that it was too early to test.

Then something happened. I began to fear the test. At least prior to the test I had doubt. Which I reasoned was better than knowing for sure I was positive. When 3 months came I couldn't get tested. I was fatigued. Had had night sweats a couple of times. I couldn't sleep. Then at 5 five months I was playing tennis in 90 degree heat. The next day I had a herpes outbreak on my lip. Which I have had my entire life and I usually have about one outbreak every two years. This one I was sure was a result of my weakened immune system.

Still I could not get tested. The logic still was that I had a chance of being negative if I didn't know I was positive. The next 3 months I was depressed. No more signs which I was convinced was the a-symptomatic period. Then, at 9 months I developed an earache and a rash on my lower legs. Small red raised dots. I frantically searched for a match. The only thing I could find was ITP (idiopathic immune thrombocytopenic purpura). It fit exactly and is very common in HIV infected people in the early stages. Now I was convinced. So I went to the doctor out of shear panic.

He looked at it. Said it was probably a result of an unknown virus and said it would probably go away. He prescribed me some cream. He took my blood for the HIV test and said, "You don't have it, and since this has become a commonplace test these I will call you tomorrow with the results. They have a quick turnaround at our lab." At that point I thought my doctor was an idiot. He hadn't experienced any of this.

He called me the next day at noon. He said,"You can now go on with your normal life. You're negative." I said,"You were right."

I have spent approximately 11 months in total hell. All because I didn't use protection and wouldnt get tested. Lesson learned. Forever. Please get tested and use protection.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MiamiLat
Guardian

Reged: 12/30/05
Loc: Miami, FL
Re: Anxiety and symptoms new
      #217770 - 12/10/06 12:27 AM

Thanks for taking the time to share your story...
Congrats on your NEG status!
WOO HOO!

--------------------
"Education, prevention, awareness, research, and support"

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Anxiety and symptoms new
      #217836 - 12/10/06 02:18 PM

Congratulatioins on the neg. What if one used protection and has decided to not worry can that individual not test and just go one libing happily?

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2133

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3