Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
lost_it
Unregistered

validity of a 12 week antibody test
      #214672 - 11/16/06 01:29 PM

Can knowledgable people of the forum let me know if a 12 week antibody test can be considered conclusive after 1 time high risk situation even though major symptoms persist. How much faith can be really put in a 12 week antibody test. I am aware that indivudual body response varies to the virus upon infection and that is why the time it takes for 1 person to produce antibodies differs from the other.

Logically, when is the earliest we can conclude that the infection do not exists. Please share your thoughts. I am a wreck at this point.

Thanks

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: validity of a 12 week antibody test new
      #214687 - 11/16/06 03:07 PM

Almost 99% of people infected will test postive by 6 weeks. A negative at 12 weeks means you are negative. In light of your negative test result and the fact that continuing symptoms is not indicative of HIV infection in the first 5 - 10 years, see your doctor to determine what your health issue is.

If the problem is that you just can't accept the fact you don't have HIV, then see a counselor to work out whatever emotional issues are preventing you from accepting that reality.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#214694 - 11/16/06 07:19 PM

you have tested beyond a reasonable doubt. you should be happy.

taurusthecat
Master

Reged: 11/02/06
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
      #214750 - 11/17/06 07:31 AM

They created the three month window period as a definitive time frame because by three months if you are going to have antibodies, you will have them by then. It is the safe end of the scale, but of course people can test positive earlier.

--------------------
I'm like fake fruit...... I don't bruise that easy.

lost_it
Unregistered

#214768 - 11/17/06 10:19 AM

But, many experts and websites suggest that a person should test beyond 3 months depending upon their clinical history. What exactly does clinical history mean. Are they referring to pre-existing autoimmune diseases or current set of scary ass symptoms a person is facing.

I tell you, 1 thing for sure, whoever has designed the HIV testing guideline has presented it in the most ambiguous and vague way. Maybe, this person took a whole bunch of money for research and spend it having fun and in the end when he had to show results for the money he took, he just made statements keeping in view worst case and best case scenarios which would have given his stand on window period enough leverage to not go wrong for any case.

Here, I am sitting trying to get all my bank a/c's fixed and will ready staring at death but why will it matter to anyone. These fuckers just made statements for the heck of it.

People say when you talk about conclusive testing - it is 12 or 13 weeks. Then, I ask Dr. H, what is right - is it 12 weeks or 13 weeks. That gentleman says it is like splitting hairs. Damn, I am bald.. What the hell he means by splitting hairs. This is my life and he is comparing it to splitting hairs. If a doc says that, he must be a really fucked up doc. And moreover, he doesn't really have a consistent stand on how much testing should be done. Basically, he is not believable..

Dr. Bob - Nice, happy n gay guy. sometimes 12 weeks is good and sometimes 24 weeks is good. He also don't know

Dr. Gallant - says 3-6 months.

What is so funny is all these docs talk about improment made in testing techniques but still conservatively call it 6 months to be conclusive.

Granted, human factor being mportant in production of antibodies but does anyone know a worst case antibody detection time period with a 3rd generation ELISA. In other terms, the longest window period ever documented with a 3rd gen ELISA.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#214930 - 11/18/06 10:07 PM

Must be tough to punish yourself for 3 to 6 months. Look if I sent you for a HEP "B" test and it came back NEG you would forget about it, you would not be questioning the test. But some how HIV seems to be oh so confusing. They are both anti-body tests yet one seems to not be believed.

The reasone there is confusion is there is still loads of old info on the net. The tests have improved greatly since they first developed them. The so-called window period is now simply a CYA position from groups and DR's. and the CDC. Why should Dr. BOB say anything other than what the CDC says?
The CDC has to have an unrealistic time period because they are dealing world wide and also will never say any test is 100% period and I don't blame them.

Now as far as you, you do not have HIV period. Go get another test if you must it will be NEG. 6 weeks is all that is needed with todays tests. Yes there maybe one in a million that takes longer but that isn't you.

Get over it for it will destroy you and all who love you. have a good life and have a little fun. D.J.

lost_it
Unregistered

#214977 - 11/19/06 03:27 PM

DJ: I have been following your posts and appericiate your opinions. I understand that your opinions are based on your
individual facts but I admire your will to help people and comfort them. As far as my life goes, there isn't much left
anyway as I have indeed pushed everyone away from me.

DJ, I really do not know if I can trust 12 weeks results as I have been really sick. I know your intentions are good but there are so many experts
who do not call 12 weeks tes as conclisive. Say for example even Dr. H - with his mathematical model he suggests that for
a high risk situation, a 12 week negative would stand to have 1 out of a 100,000 chance to change to positive later.
He in a way suggests that a person shuld look to minimize the odds to 1 in a million to really feel safe. And, once making
those odds to one in a million, if the person still find it difficult to accept then he should go for mental help.

So, basically at 12 weeks, it means my odds are 1/100000 and I should work towards 1/1000000.

Also, at 1 point of time i was worried about Hep B. Actually, to find a new hep infection they do not do antibody test but an
antigen test HBsAg. If, however, AB test comes positive, it means the person is immune to hep-b and not a virus carrier.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#214979 - 11/19/06 03:58 PM

So what you are really saying is that you didn't want to hear the facts about the 12 week window. You really didn't want to listen to reason or accept the window period as it stands. You just wanted to dispute it so that you can contihue to think you have something you don't have.

You can do that one your own, you don't need us to feed your fantasy and since we are not the ones that want to contiune your little drama there is no reason for us to try to convince you that you are wrong, it 's clear any answer from will only cause you to come back and say, BUT.....since you have already made up your mind and are only looking for confirmation that you are indeed infected.

Good luck with that.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4078

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3