Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
scared23

Reged: 11/14/06
unprotected sex and symptoms
      #214453 - 11/14/06 07:30 PM

Hi
I am a 25 yr old girl who had (extremely stupidly) unprotected sex with a stranger 4 weeks ago. 5 days later i developed a REALLY bad sore throat with swollen tonsils with white spots, but no real fever. The throat infection turned into a bronchitis type of cough. Strp and mono test negative. At 3 weeks I started getting swollen groin nodes (confirmed by a doctor) and NO OTHER SYMPTOMS!! I am completely scared and unable to carry on with my life as normal. I cry everyday. I'm in hell. I always thought swollen nodes in ARS happened all over the body and was usually accompanied by high fever. Am i wrong? I had an HIV test today, but am dying of fear for the result.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
taurusthecat
Master

Reged: 11/02/06
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Re: unprotected sex and symptoms new
      #214459 - 11/14/06 07:52 PM

Good on you for getting tested, it will give you the information you need to move on and be happy, whatever the result sweetheart. Too many people arse-around putting-off the inevitable test, frightened at what might be the result and give themselves needless extra stress on top of what they already have.

From the sounds of it, your symptoms won't be hiv, but the test will confirm it. I have never heard of someone having symptoms after 5 days. The expert doctors at The Body often tell worried people that symptoms such as you have described are most often not hiv related at all, there are many other bugs around which can be responsible. You've done the right thing by getting tested, just try to stay calm until you get the result, knowing you have done all you can for the time being. When there's nothing more you can do, there's no point in wasting energy on worry. When are your results due?

--------------------
I'm like fake fruit...... I don't bruise that easy.

scared23

Reged: 11/14/06
      #214464 - 11/14/06 08:06 PM

Hi,
thank you soooo much for replying. It gives me hope that 5 days sounds too early, although the groin nodes are still extremely worrisome. I realize that no one can give me any definitive answers here...i guess my post was more of a cry for help. I can't deal with this alone, but i don't want to burden my family with it either. I'm so exhausted with worry. I feel cowardly for not being able to face this with the strength held by so many hiv positive people in the world.
My results should be in early next week. I just want some sleep in the meantime...

taurusthecat
Master

Reged: 11/02/06
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
      #214467 - 11/14/06 08:19 PM

As long as there are places online like this, you need never be alone. ( Hugs.)

I wouldn't tell my family either if I was waiting for results, they would only carry on and make me more stressed.

Post as much as you want to here, that's what this place is for. ((More hugs.))

--------------------
I'm like fake fruit...... I don't bruise that easy.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#214525 - 11/15/06 06:34 AM

but no real fever
....................................................................................

Go to sleep you are not going through accute HIV infection. Get a six week test and forget about it.D.J.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2942

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3