Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Fingering
      #214371 - 11/13/06 06:09 PM

I am having a hard time getting a definitive answer on whether fingering (vaginal and anal) constitutes a significant risk in the event of hangnails and associated redness, cracking, and peeling of the skin. Does anyone have any insight on this?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Fingering new
      #214376 - 11/13/06 06:25 PM

Not sure why you are having a hard time getting a definitive answer. It's not a risk and has never been implicated as a tramsission vector, hangnails and all.

Since you are asking I'm assuming you are unaware of the ways HIV can actually be transmitted which are as follows:

Unprotected anal or vagainal sex and I'm not talking fingers here.

Very rarely giving oral. That's giving oral, not receiving, which is not a risk.

IV needles use or occupational needle sticks.

Mother to child, however that is becoming increasingly more rare with antiretroviral treatments.

Knowing how HIV is actually transmitted is important. It gives you the information you need to know what activities do require protection and saves you the agony of being worried over non-risk issues such as fingering.

If it isn't on that list, then it's not considered a risk.

taurusthecat
Master

Reged: 11/02/06
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Re: Fingering new
      #214454 - 11/14/06 07:31 PM

I actually think that fingering under certain circumstances could be an hiv risk. hiv cannot pass through normal unbroken skin, but all it needs is a doorway, an opening into the bloodstream for it to gain access and easily infect you. If it's possible for a top (active/insertive) sex partner to become hiv infected by having unprotected anal intercourse, by having their penis coming into contact with the bodily fluids of the receptive partner inside the anus and getting into their penis, why is it such a stretch of the imagnination to think that if someone has cuts/abraisions/holes/sores/crusty rashes/bleeding cuticles etc on their insertive finger, that the hiv virus present in the receptive partner couldn't easily get in via that way. It's common knowledge that they tell you that oral sex is fine and safe unless you have cuts or sores in your mouth. I don't see why it's any different for people's other parts as well. If I had a cut or bleeding finger or sores on it or any compromised skin on it, I would definitely not take the risk of putting it inside someone where hiv might be lurking.

Listen, I would also like to say that it is not helpful to refer to some imginary "list" when saying what is safe and what is not. There are way too many variables for one, you can't just make it black and white and say that this and that and this and that are totally safe and this and that are not safe. It often depends on variable factors and you have to use your brain and work out the general risk at that time. What is regarded as safe, could easily become unsafe just by changing one tiny detail, such as whether you spat it out or left it in your mouth for 3 minutes or brushed your teeth too hard just prior to them ejaculating onto your scratched and bleeding gums. But also, there is a more sneaky way that using the term 'list' is bad. We all know that the "rules" of hiv transmission and treatment are evolving constantly, changing all the time. Every week they are discovering something new about the virus and how it works, how it's transmitted and how to best stay safe. If you tell people that "if it aint on the list it's ok", in my opinion that person will unconsciously develop a complacent attitude. They will assume that like most lists, once they have gone through it and familiarised themselves with it, they know the score and everything is fine. Unfortunately, feeling that way, I believe that they will not seek further updated advice later on as it becomes available because they have already read "the list" and know what's on it. It's just something small but potentially could cause someone to become complacent.

--------------------
I'm like fake fruit...... I don't bruise that easy.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1184

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3