Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Kndreleived
Unregistered

10 Week test
      #213478 - 10/30/06 04:47 PM

After having unprotected vaginal sex with I don't know the status, I had an oral test done; it came negative. Please tell me if I should put this behind me or do another test after 13 weeks? What are the chances I had not sercoconverted at 10 weeks?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: 10 Week test new
      #213482 - 10/30/06 06:09 PM

The guidlines are to wait atleast 13 weeks to test.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#213529 - 10/31/06 10:57 AM

science says 3-5 weeks is how long it will take a human to develope enough antibodies to show positive on a elisa test. only the cdc says 13 weeks.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#213532 - 10/31/06 11:20 AM

Well CDC says 13 weeks. There are also other countries which say 6 months still and that is not because they use outdated testing technology.
Science indeed says that normally antibody reponse can be seen 3-5 weeks post exposure but
Science also says antibody response varies from person to person depending upon the underlying immune system. God knows if anything/ anybody/any test is trustworthy enough with regard to this.

Sorry, if I am coming across as a pessimistic jerk but I am myself sick of SCIENCE and these freaking docs and scientists. All the research wants is funding and more funding for their projects and they still can not answer these questions about validity of tests with any confidence.

Do you really think there is any science behind HIV because I assume science is supposed to give specific answers not to take you for a never ending hellish ride with vague percentages like 98.6/99.8 and what not.

Even people have started saying on forums that nothing is 100% in life. Well, wat the fuck..i had my lunch today... that's 100%.

I hate to be living like this. Sorry people, I am more or less venting out.. Forgive me!!!!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#213549 - 10/31/06 02:44 PM

I rather trust the scientists than the politicians. look go test again there is not a chance it will turn positive. and remember you can not get hiv from someone who doesn't have it.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#213561 - 10/31/06 06:08 PM

[quote]Well CDC says 13 weeks. There are also other countries which say 6 months still and that is not because they use outdated testing technology. [/quote]

Just exactly WHICH countries say 6 months? The US at 13 weeks is one of the few countries with such a conservative window period. Many countries use 8 weeks. NO country has a standard window period of 6 months.

The CDC says that the average length of time for antibodies to develop is 25 days, not 3-5 weeks. The length of time that is needed for a postive test result for the majority (over 95%) of those infected is 6 weeks.

Is there science behind HIV? What kind of question is that? If it weren't for the advances in the understanding of HIV because of sciencitific research, people would still be dying at the pre 1996 rate. ie: dropping like flies. That same understanding has help to create better testing also.

Relax, you aren't coming across as a pessimist. You're just coming across as an overly excitable, UNINFORMED whiny worried well.

To the person asking about 10 weeks -

Results don't change from week 10 to week 13. You can test again,. but the result will still be a negative.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#213565 - 10/31/06 07:20 PM

ok... maximum number of hiv cases are in countrie like china, south africa, india etc. I think they follow the 6 month window period guidelines. I am sure those countries also use the same kind of anti bodies tests if not better as used in developed countries. After all, they need HIV related infrastructure more deperately to contol the epidemic as compared to the developed nations where the disease is still somewhat under control.
Also, which countries exactly follow 8 weeks guidelines. I have heard Sweden follows and 8 week guideline but I am not sure about it.
OK..now even CDC says 13 weeks is conclusive... AGREED.. but what do we conclude about people like Dr. Bob who every now and then come up with 6 month theory[depening upon the risk type]. Doesn't that fuck up with everybody's head.
On the other hand, Dr. H says that 6 weeks is reliable and 8 weeks is solid but have u ever notice that he really shies away from giving concrete answers about testing. He always with his "almost certainly's" creates a way out for himself.
Are these experts/testing & transmission experts not really fucking with our heads.
They all keep on twisting and turning their beliefs every now and then.

OK...check out this post -
http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/SafeSex/Archive/Testing/Q177754.html

Doesn't this make Dr. Bob sound like a hypocrite. When did he completely whole heartedly advocate 12 weeks window as he is so freaking proudly proclaiming in his reply...Utter Bullshit..If he really believes so, y he advises people for 6 months test still that too even after CDC has set window to 3 months now..

Does that mean that these well renowned docs are not completely aware of science and technological enhancements which are happening in the fields in which they have specialization. Wouldn't that mean they are good for nothing???

I am seriosuly going crazy. What the fuck is all this... Nothing makes sense any more...

Anonymous
Unregistered

#213566 - 10/31/06 07:46 PM

ok... maximum number of hiv cases are in countrie like china, south africa, india etc. I think they follow the 6 month window period guidelines.

You think? I had a teacher once that said we could hold any opinion we wanted, but we actually had to back it up with facts. He told us he never wanted to hear...."Well, I think"...or "That's what everybody else says"

So once again. You think? You made the above statements to sound as if you based them on FACTS, not what you think?

Well China, who knows, they just recent have even started admitting that they like everyone else have to deal with HIV. The horror stories coming out of China about the treatment of people Living with HIV shows just how backward this country is.

Hate to tell you but you're wrong on the other two. You do know how to Google?

France is another country that advocates 8 weeks, has for YEARS as do many of the South American countries.

So what exactly is your story? Did you even have a REAL risk. Just how many negatives do you have under your belt?

I can see you are setting yourself up to be one of the entertaining ones. You're just gonna ruin your life over this. Got to go pop some popcorn so I can sit back and watch you imploded.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#213567 - 10/31/06 09:13 PM

I desperately want to believe you. But, I have so many symptoms that (YES), sooner than later I am going to be IMPLODING. Yes, different stories from people and a lot of BS from so called experts have made me mentally sick person. So, I agree it will be a good idea for u to get ur pop corn & beer ready for the recliner and watch out for the show.

I tested gazillion times till 3 months after a real exposure (not BJ's or stupid needle pricks with no blood) with a sex worker(condom failed). I have faced all possible symptoms and currently also facing at 6 momths post exposure. I have lived last 1/2 a year in constant fear, pain and barrage of symptoms and no reliable iformation.....

Yes, I did not test after 3 months negative really wanting to believe that is conclusive even though I brought home another STD from the same exposure. I am no fake man. Its people who have fucked up my head....

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1843

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3