Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Recived a "False Positive" test, but still worried
      #212203 - 10/20/06 11:48 AM

A few days after sleeping with my girlfriend while she was on her period, using a condom, I got something like the flu, with the addition of sore throat, complete loss of appetite for 3 days, diarrhea and a stomach ache. After the 3 days, I felt very hot rather than chilled, and I sweated heavily when the fever broke, but ended up with a nonraised rash on my chest that spread to my stomach by the next day and went away the day after. Following that I got tired easily and had a lingering sore throat and a cough that came and went.

the only other partner I had before that involved a one-time attempt at vaginal, in which it didn't fit so I gave up shortly. That was between 3.5 or 4 months earlier.

My girl friend was tested about the same time I was, and received a negative test a few days before I got my results. When I described my sexual history to the counsellor, he said "you don't have it", and further testing was not required..

I got tested a few weeks after I got better, My results are as follows...
---------------------------------------------------------------
Reactive ELISA. Reference Range=Non-Reactive.
Non-reactive Western Blot.

He said that the WB test is more expensive/accurate, and if I had it then the Western Blot would have showed some reactivity.

I forgot to ask how much more sensitive ELISA is than Western Blot, and how likely a false negative could be. and I forgot to ask if I should get tested for anything else.So can you help me out with that? gracias.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
sadface
Veteran

Reged: 02/15/06
Re: Recived a "False Positive" test, but still worried new
      #212207 - 10/20/06 12:49 PM

You are negative, now go enjoy your life sweetie!!
Sf

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Recived a "False Positive" test, but still wor new
      #212216 - 10/20/06 03:11 PM

The ELISA is a screening test. It's job is to catch any possible infection. Because of this it's sensitivity is high for detection of any recent antibody actvitiy, but it's specificity to just HIV antibodies is not as high. Because of this, there are cases of people that will test postive on the ELISA that are not infected.

This is why ALL postive results from the ELISA are confirmed with the Western Blot. This test is much more specific. It has a narrow focus for the HIV antibodies alone.

Some labs will go ahead and confirm the ELISA and run the WB before giving the results, thus if you had the test done by this type of lab, you would have received your result as negative and never even know your ELISA was positive.

Congrats on your negative.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#212333 - 10/22/06 12:30 AM

I too have had a false positive ELSA test, mine came when I was pregnant.....I had to wait 2 weeks for the Western blot test to come back to get my final results....My OB at the time wanted me to start meds, but I wanted to wait and insisted that her test was wrong......I remember the day I got my WB results back....My mom went with me along with a friend (at the time I was no longer with the baby's dad- we are now married) We were taken back into the hallway and lead into a small, yellow bright room before we got in the room and could shut the door the nurse told us that my reusluts were negative..... I felll into the chair my mom fell to the floor and my friend was hugging me, we were all crying mad and confussed....The infectious dieses doctor told us that this happens more often then what is told.....That certain antibodies, cross reacting antibodies, some vaccinations and pregnancy can cause these results... He also told me that my OB should have waited untill the WB results came back

I know how you feel.... almost 5 yeras later I am still confused and still upset, I have had a total of 2 false positive ELSA results and 4 negative WB results.... I know its scary but my word of advice is share your story, stay protected and be safe....You are negative
be happy, be well

Anonymous
Unregistered

#212334 - 10/22/06 12:30 AM

I too have had a false positive ELSA test, mine came when I was pregnant.....I had to wait 2 weeks for the Western blot test to come back to get my final results....My OB at the time wanted me to start meds, but I wanted to wait and insisted that her test was wrong......I remember the day I got my WB results back....My mom went with me along with a friend (at the time I was no longer with the baby's dad- we are now married) We were taken back into the hallway and lead into a small, yellow bright room before we got in the room and could shut the door the nurse told us that my reusluts were negative..... I felll into the chair my mom fell to the floor and my friend was hugging me, we were all crying mad and confussed....The infectious dieses doctor told us that this happens more often then what is told.....That certain antibodies, cross reacting antibodies, some vaccinations and pregnancy can cause these results... He also told me that my OB should have waited untill the WB results came back

I know how you feel.... almost 5 yeras later I am still confused and still upset, I have had a total of 2 false positive ELSA results and 4 negative WB results.... I know its scary but my word of advice is share your story, stay protected and be safe....You are negative
be happy, be well

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2717

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3